I know why they call it Ash!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac900tc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut a lot of Ash trees the last few years due to the Emerald Ash borer killing our Ash trees around here. I started burning some this year. Burns really long and well, but seems to leave a lot of ash/coals in my stove. I have to empty the ash at least twice as often as usual. I usually burn Oak or Maple. It's not too bad considering all the free dead standing timber I've gotten lately. Anyone else notice this?

Burning equal amounts of ash, elm, box elder, soft maple, oak at night, and there seems to be no noticeable difference.

Nope. Its you. Ash is my favorite firewood, and I live in the land of Hardwood: Oak, Hedge, Locust, and mulberry. Ash is primo firewood. Send all yours to me, I'll trade ya for hedge.

I'll take all the ash I can get. It is my favorite. No more ash than any other hardwood in my opinion.

I actually think it produces less ash than most other hardwoods. As for drying it out I have never had a problem with that. ash is one of my favorite firewoods also.

I sold about 5 cords of firewood to a friend this fall, 1 1/2 cord of that being ash, from a big ash that had died couple years ago. He said that has been the best wood to burn in his stove, hardly any ashes to clean out. Wishes he had more of that. So, something doesn`t sound right. I have allways liked ash too. Fairly easy to split also, and burns well. So far the EABorer hasnt hit the trees here on our place YET, but im affraid its inevetable:mad:

I cut a lot of Ash trees the last few years due to the Emerald Ash borer killing our Ash trees around here. I started burning some this year. Burns really long and well, but seems to leave a lot of ash/coals in my stove. I have to empty the ash at least twice as often as usual. I usually burn Oak or Maple. It's not too bad considering all the free dead standing timber I've gotten lately. Anyone else notice this?

It looks like you need someone on your side. I love burning ash, great stuff. I will admit the ash I burn does produce more ashes than the more abundant red oak in my woods.

All the wood I have burned produces more ashes than debarked White Oak, just my experience

:cheers:

The stuff I am burning right now is mostly ash and hard maple. The ash is two years old. The bark did not come off during splitting this spring. The maple was from tops that were logged two years ago. All the bark came off at splitting this spring. The maple produces less ash in my stove. I am confident if the ash was debarked it would be the other way around.

Any ash is better than no ash – right?

That may be the case. I have been burning rounds with bark on them. The Ash seems to burn long, not quite the heat output of Oak though. I'm not complaining it's good wood, great for when the weather is in the 30's. (long burn time when you don't need max heat output) There are many different kinds of Ash trees, so maybe that matters. I'll wait for more opinions on this, and see if it changes when I start using some large splits. Thanks , Brad

I used to wonder what all the fuss was about with Ash, until a year ago when I got about 6 cords of it. Now I think it is my favorite wood. Even though Red Oak burns hotter. I now keep my Ash in a separate pile to use when I need to get a good fire started with good coals for when it really gets cold like now -17f, then I can add some red or white oak on top of the good coals for max heat. I can start a roaring fire with Ash in a heart beat, that is what is great about it. Don't waste your Ash just burning it when it is not that cold out, save it for starting a good fire when it is really cold. It would take me at least twice as long to get a good fire going with Oak. That is the secret.

Last edited:
I burn 24/7. I always have a good bed of coals, and only start a fire a couple of times once it gets cold. (We may get a day in the 50's and I let the fire go out to clean the chimney) I'll save my Oak for very cold and windy days. It just seeems I have to empty the ashes more often while burning Ash.

I have a inside wood furnace and start a lot of fires, thats why I love Ash. I guess if you have a constant fire its not that big of a deal.

I burn 24/7. I always have a good bed of coals, and only start a fire a couple of times once it gets cold. (We may get a day in the 50's and I let the fire go out to clean the chimney) I'll save my Oak for very cold and windy days. It just seeems I have to empty the ashes more often while burning Ash.

I have to do the same thing with Black Locust. I am of the thinking that because I have to have the vent closed down pretty far to keep the temp at the optimum temp, it leads to more ash. The black locust will burn forever, but for me and my stove, it creates the most ash out of everything I have burned.

That's funny you even try to burn that stuff. lol

Ash is a really nice firewood, not my favorite though as firewood or a tree. Try drying that wood out some more.

My in-laws have a nice sized farm and my wife's grandfather planted like 50 of them about 50 years ago. As they die off, my in-laws have me cut them down. I don't pass up on free wood. I guess it burns ok, just too much ash. How bad is this...I would prefer it to all the silver maple I got right now!

Latest posts

Back