I messed up today on an 044.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I brought an 044 off of Craigslist. The saw needs tuned up and some of the screws didn't match. Had a small repair on the gas tank, but not really noticeable. But it seems to run good and had great compression.

I must have been tired, but I didn't even notice the brake handle was missing. So now I'm wonder what else is missing for the brake and how much is it going to cost me.

I know I can get the parts use at my local shop. But what do you guys think it will run. Did I get hurt for giving 250 for this saw? I don't want it if it's going to cost me and arm and a leg ( no literally, it could cost me and arm or a leg). So should I just ditch it for my 250 and maybe my gas money?
Or can I fix it and still be in the good on price?

Had I notice the brake handle was missing I would have offered him 200.

This is a 10mm saw with the big open muffler port and full wrap bar btw.

Last edited:
For $250 with a missing brake handle and a patch on the fuel tank, that's too high. Especially since this is an early saw. Hopefully the rest of it in fairly good shape.

For $250 with a missing brake handle and a patch on the fuel tank, that's too high. Especially since this is an early saw. Hopefully the rest of it in fairly good shape.

I'm afraid your right. If it had the handle I could most likeily sell it for my money back.
I'm going to bring it to my local shop tomorrow. I'm hoping I can fix the handle and maybe a good tank for 50.
I know guy who'll give me that for it.

If you can find a used tank that's good locally, that would be awesome. They are hard to buy on ebay, good ones will go for over $100 there. Sounds like it's still go plenty of potential especially if you got some sources for good used parts.:cheers:

What are your intentions? Did you buy it to resell or to cut wood. If for reselling probably not a good deal. If your going to use it then fix the handle and run it.:cheers:

044's a good saw, fix it and runner. even if it cost's ya another 75 to 100 and it runs good you didn't do to bad for a 70cc saw. what kinda shape is the plastic in? pic's wood be nice. lol

Is this saw for you or were you trying to make some cash?

Get me a list of parts. I might know of a fuel tank and perhaps a brake handle looking for a home.

I know I have a brake handle, and I might have a tank. I'll try to remember to look tonight if you can't find something before then.

Get it going, make it safe, and use it. Over time, keep an eye out for better replacement parts. You'll have a saw to use that you know the condition of. Unless you just feel bad about it and can get most of your money back. I can see taking a little loss if you just would feel better with a different saw--you know, lesson learned and all that. But I'd just get it repaired, use it, and before long it'll just be your saw and you won't worry about it. It's a tool.

Not trying to hijack but if any of you guys have another handle/tank and the clutch side case half I need those.

I had to replace all the insides for the brake plus the brake handle. It now has a working brake. I also had to replace the fuel line, the orange plastic around the air box was crack so I replace it. Tuned it up and it runs okay, but it has an air leak somewhere so it idles funny.
Bottom end seems nice and tight, but I can hear the piston skirt hitting when you move the fly wheel back and forth. The compression is good, but there has to be some wear on it for the piston skirt to rub.

So I have a couple 3 options.

# 1 I'm done with this saw. It runs and cuts, but for what I have in it now (350 dollors), it should be a lot better.
Next time someone ask me if my 044 is for sale. I'm going to tell them no but, I have another one....

# 2 Use this saw to learn on. Do a complete tear down.

# 3 Make it a parts saw for my other 044.

What would you guys do? Any ideas on how to find the air leak? If I keep it who has a tank they would sell/trade me? The tank is the only think wrong with the body now.
I'll get pix up maybe tomorrow.

I ran the saw for a little bit today and it runs great. But has a high idle because of the air leak.

I think I'm going to try to sell it for what I have in it. They sell for about that around here, but I'm going to tell who ever wants it the problems it has.
It's the honest thing to do. Then if it sell, great. If it doesn't than I still can look at myself in the mirror and that's more important than getting stuck with this saw.

Here is a picture of the saw.

100_3953.jpg

you could probably get your money back by selling it on ebay, just sell it as 'needs repairs, has air leak but runs' and see what it brings, heck you might even try a buy it now for a bit more than what you have in it.

Latest posts

Back