i need some advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankrz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am about to start building my first saw. it will be a race saw, with a pipe. i want to run it on a race fuel like VP, not alcohol. i was thinking about a 044, my friend has one blown up he will sell cheap. i was also thinking about putting a bailey's bb kit on it. i need some advice about what to do and what mods to make. any help?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Judging by your post, it doesn't seem like you've been around saw races very much. Please excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I'm going to start at the very beginning. You, or anybody else reading this who is further along can jump in where ever is appropriate for your backround.

There are, generally speaking, two levels of racing. One is a low key affair that loggers or enthusists do. These are often, but not always, held at county fairs or in folks back yards. The saws are stock or lightly modified work saws.

The second are professional lumberjack contests that usually, but not always, inlcude hand sawing and chopping. The saws range from bone stock saws provided by the organizers to run what you brung stock or lightly modified saws, to all out stock appearing race saws, pipe saws and bike saws. Please understand that these are broad generlizations, and some shows that are approprate for beginners can be found in both catagories. I would suggest that you go to a local few shows next summer before you jump into a building and running a full race saw. I would look for someplace with a saw provided stocksaw or a run what you brung stocksaw to start with. Understand that in this game a 2 hour drive is local.

As far a building a saw goes, I suggest buiilding a strong stock saw and running it at local shows first. Then move to a stock appearing next winter. The 044 is a good saw to mess around with in this respect. I'm not familiar wth many shows in your area, but those that I do know about don't have a small pipe saw class, so if you build a 44 pipesaw, it would have to run against saws with twice it's displacement.

In order to learn about modificatons to saw engines, search for Godon Jennings book "Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook" on line. It is available as a pdf file. Also google hotsaw, race saw, lumberjack and timbersports. Use the search function here as well. There is good information on line on this site and elsewhere.

Much of the speed in a race saw is in its chain. I would suggest purchasing a race chain if you can't square file well.

Building and racing a winning hotsaw isn't as easy as it may appear. A five cube stock appearing saw can go for $800-1200, and a competative open saw costs way more than that. Believe me when I tell you that doing it this way will save you money, and will get you into the money more quickly.

Best of Luck,

Chuck

Last edited:
Finally, someone posting about a "hot saw" in Hotsaws.com.:laugh:

There's a lot of difference in the porting on a piped saw vs. a muffler saw. You can gain a little running a pipe on a muffler saw, but a pipe saw will loose quite a bit running on muffler.
Around here, if you put a pipe on it you'll be running against the bike saws.
Check out the rules at the show's you intend to compete in. Then you can make a better decision as to how you want to build your saw.
Chuck's right, you might have a better experience buying your first race saw.
The chain is a big part of the equation, as well as the operator.

Andy

Go to the competitions and meet the competitors . Whether its a small show or a big one you may have to start out as a novice but you gotta start somewhere. If you want to rub shoulders with the big names I believe you should get into chopping also. Chopping and sawing brings out the best.Don't be scared to drive across the country to see or enter some events,get to meet the Aussies ,Kiwis and Canadians. Its a world wide brotherhood.The Basque region in Spain have been chopping in competitions for over 400 years and have I believe the most grueling chopping events in the world. Try chopping 40-18" and 8-37" beech logs in 4 hrs and 12 minutes, some famous Basque choppers: Arria, Mendizabal, Mindeguia. Join an association and get newsletters.:)

sorry guys i should have added a little more info on my first post. i grew up around saw racing, and my dad raced for years. i occasionally run in stock saw races and stock appearing classes and sometimes place exceptionally well. i have been working on my chains. not only the cutters, but the tie straps, rivets, ect.
what i need to know is what to modify on my saw(s). what i was wondering the most about is porting and what tools are used to port a saw, and also how much it would cost to have my cylinders ported if i decided to have the work done.

:chainsaw:

sorry guys i should have added a little more info on my first post. i grew up around saw racing, and my dad raced for years. i occasionally run in stock saw races and stock appearing classes and sometimes place exceptionally well. i have been working on my chains. not only the cutters, but the tie straps, rivets, ect.
what i need to know is what to modify on my saw(s). what i was wondering the most about is porting and what tools are used to port a saw, and also how much it would cost to have my cylinders ported if i decided to have the work done.

If you are wanting to do it yourself, the two stroke tuner's handbook (mentioned above) is a GOOD place to start.

If you are going to have it done, talk to the guys at races and find a reputable builder, or find one on here and talk with him about the specifics.

In any case, do a search on AS and start reading.

"There is only one "SECRET" in the game: to know what you are doing, and to do it thoroughly." ~Gordan Jennings

There are a ton of ways to port a saw. People have used files, dremel tools, air driven die grinders and even round files in the chuck of electric drills. The best way is likely flex shaft grinders like fordom or C&C speciality, but they get pricy.

There is enough information on line here and elsewhere to enable you to figure out what to do as far as modificatons go. Try the searches suggested above, if you havn't already.

Latest posts

Back