I.S.A Board Certified Master Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arboromega, you can't say "the ca is a bachelors degree of sorts". A Bachelor's Degree is a 4-year degree from an accredited college, so even 'of sorts' doesn't make them in any way comparable. I'm not flaming you, I just don't think that our readership should be misled like that.

The CA is a test. It's an entrance exam. It's valid and I am in support of it, but not to the point of amplifying it's credential. Even standing it up next to an Associate of Science (a 2-year degree) is way overstated.

I feel the need to say this in defense of all the guys here who have paid for, spent the YEARS and earned B.S and A.S. degrees in forestry, horticulture, urban forestry, plant sciences, plant biology and etc.

OK, TM; I often liken it to a high school diploma if I'm in a bad mood, but that seems like dissing it too much. Somewhere tween that and an A.S. perhaps. I think all omega was sayin was that it's a necessary step to MS or PhD of JD or whatever. Glad we all agree that it has value far beyond its cost.

Got a lot of time on your hands dontcha? :eek:

Happy Healing, Bro.

It's a formal door of entry. A new plateau. More important than the material you learn, I think, is the mental confidence gained by the arborist. You ARE ISA certified, you've passed through the door. You can claim it on your advertising, your business cards, your estimate sheets, the side of your truck. You're now seperated from the non-credentialed crowd. You have access to ISA materials. You are on their mailing list and kept updated of current events and news. You're in the loop.

I think there's a lot to be said for that. I connect with the newness of the guys who recently pass the test, it's a different feel. More jobs are opened to you because of it. More employers will look at you. You're a new level of Arborist.

All this with just passing an exam. I will always encourage a man (or woman) to become certified. I know no one who has regretted doing it.

guy understood my point. i was using my bachelors degree reference as a parallel comparison, not equating it with an actual bachelors. didnt feel flames in your statement anyway tree machine.
the ca is still a great program imo and for me it helped me see deep into the horizon of what this career offers and the legions of unique people who are involved with it.

Latest stats on BCMA: 113 have taken the test, 75 passed, some after multiple retakes. they had 2 tests scheduled today here at the conference, but only 2 folks signed up to take it.

Tree Machine, I'll say it again, the I.S.A. will certify anyone. I have worked with I.S.A certified guys who are good climbers and have worked for municipalities and the utility who have I.S.A. certified people on staff that direct the work. Most of the non-working I.S.A. people I have met and had to work for are practically useless in the real world. They ask you to climb stone cold snags (refused), tell you to roll cottonwood logs 60ft. long and over 3ft. at the butt by hand alongside the trail, get you to pull dead branches out of trees while leaving big snags beside the same trail unmentioned etc.. I could go on for hours, but like I said, some I.S.A. guys are good treeworkers, no doubt. Having I.S.A certification in and of itself is no measure of anything, if the guy works is he good at it? If he directs others does he make good decisions that put safety first? These are the things that really mean something, or should.

clearance said:
Tree Machine, I'll say it again, the I.S.A. will certify anyone.
Clearance, my brother, as I posted right above, 1/3 of those who have taken the Board-Certified Master Arborist test have not passed it yet. So your comment here is, at best, irrelevant to the thread. :eek: , and at worst grievously erroneous.

Besides, your continued railing against certification ignores the fact that it represents a big step forward for a tree worker. We all are well aware by now that, yes, some with book learning get certified who do not have the field experience required to direct field activities. I couldn't agree more with you on that.

does he make good decisions that put safety first? These are the things that really mean something, or should.
The BCMA test is all about decision-making; check out the program
http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/boardCertified.aspx
As you can see BCMA's different from CA; is that clear, ance?

I'm not real surprised at the 2/3 pass rate; it is not easy. But bear in mind that many people who could pass it don't bother taking it because they are already RCA's, plus many who didn't pass will retake it.

It's nice to have, but it takes experience, which after all will comes with time. ;)

consulting arborist

A consulting arborist is just what the title implies. He consults, answers questions, diagnosisees, plans, etc. He can be an old man like me who put in my time years ago logging, climbing, etc.. I was a squirrel with very primitive equipment back in the day before this Italian and French moutain climbing gear. Are you telling me that my 300 plus hours in academia is worthless? Do, please, reconsider your opinion. It may be in haste, due to the fact that climbing is a highly skilled trade, very dangerous, and demands much respect when properly done.

clearance said:
but like I said, some I.S.A. guys are good treeworkers,
ok not to cherry pick your statements, but to differenciate ; ISA CA people should not be tree workers, they should be arborists. there is a diiference. i am not being elitist with this statement, but an arborist is a well renowned enthusist and authority on trees, the tree worker can climb take down and prune.let me have it if you disagree.

arboromega said:
ISA CA people should not be tree workers, they should be arborists.
So are you saying that arborists should not work on trees? I don't get what you're trying to say.

I think what he meant was, certifed arborists should not be considered tree workers. They've stepped into an elevated arena by virtue of their experience that allows them to pass a test that 1/3 don't. Everyone starts out as a tree worker. You graduate and earn the title 'Arborist'. Did I get that right Arboromega?
A-mega said:
an arborist is a well renowned enthusist and authority on trees, the tree worker can climb take down and prune. Let me have it if you disagree.
I have severel apprentices out there. They don't claim to be arborists. They don't claim to be authorities, but they climb like monkeys and do decent work. They're, as I call them, Arborists-in-training. They're tree workers and understand being an 'Arborist' requires more than just being out there doing the work. It's an earned title.

In supporting Clearance's view, there are 'authorities' in every field and discipline who are idiots. You're just gonna get that. It's not fair to smear a credential because of your experience with a dingbat who has that credential.

I'm just glad there's SOME accreditation out there that offers a distinction, and gives a guy in this field something to reach for. It's not acceptable (IMO) for every guy who can climb a tree to be calling himself an arborist.

Last edited:
I just checked out the BCMA quiz and got 100%
I am a CA and a CTW. I was thinking of taking the test, but then I saw that it was $350.00! What the hell could I possibly get, work wise for that?
I can see it coming in a few years, another test/catagory from ISA. That one will cost $1000.00!
Until I see the benefit of becoming a BCMA forget it. It just dilutes CA creds anyway.

Shaun Bowler said:
Until I see the benefit of becoming a BCMA forget it. It just dilutes CA creds anyway.
Wait a couple of decades; it may make sense then.

How do CA creds get diluted? No Comprendo.

Shaun Bowler said:
...coming in a few years, another test/catagory from ISA. That one will cost $1000.00!

I wish they did charge that much for certification. It would weed out the hacks and riff-raff. If you can't see the benefit, then its not for you anyway.

What I mean by dilute, is that every time the ISA comes up with another test (with the word arborist in it) the perseption could be made that one is better than the other.
ie Master, Supermaster, Masterblaster, Supermasterblaster.
I think the same could be said for Muni and Utility Arborist. As arborists we all have to work in cities. Streets, sidewalks, overhead and underground utilities are ordinary work enviorments were we all ply our trade/craft. I thought these would have been covered in the CA test. That would/should have been enough.
If I need to get more cetifacation I will. What gets me is that it is the ISA that is doing this to us, not the public. The CA program brought public awareness to the tree care industry in regards to proper treecare/saftey. I think we are all glad for that.

Tree Machine said:
I think what he meant was, certifed arborists should not be considered tree workers. They've stepped into an elevated arena by virtue of their experience that allows them to pass a test that 1/3 don't. Everyone starts out as a tree worker. You graduate and earn the title 'Arborist'. Did I get that right Arboromega?
yes, and said it better than i did.

treeseer, your posts express an almost political propaganda in the absurdity of your ISA`s CA exam dah!!! multiple choice, & if climbing is not a requirement then the definition of an arborist has been clearly mistaken, since you & diltree have intellect beyond most perhaps you should re-write the definition CA,BCMA,etc.... tell ya what! new certification Ill proctor the exam, new title GALACTIC ARBORIST EXTROARDINARE, now folks this is resonable only $25 per yr. c`mon !!! Ill think of new certs. along the way will it cost? why certainly!! does the average homeowner care? NO! CA, was ISA`s hallmark and now they have cheapened it by creating one above it(plleeaasse) THE ISA IS A RIP OFF, wake up people, why a guy on this site told me the other day him getting certified was a req. for his managerial position, requirement!!!! nice, but not practical. this is nature folks(gods world) and if your so certified & caring why do we still cut down and prune the S@#$ out of living trees. better yet. that majestic oak you cut back to the collar was done with a saw spittin out recycled oil!!! thats good for the enviroment uhh? I could go on but im sure my peers with great un-obtainable knowledge unto themselves and the cat like agility to run the canopy of trees will hopefully have a reply. those that think and dont do are 2nd to those that do while thinking. AHH WHATTA RUSH LXT.................

I have yet to hear any contractor, homeowner, publicworks dirctor, say,
"Wait a minute, we had better get a Board Certfied Master Arborist out here before we start".

Latest posts

Back