I said sorry, do I owe more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_026

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok - I was in the wrong.

My dad lives in a place where each house has 5-10 acres of land. He is about 70, so I like to help him out with firewood when I can. So after driving by this blown down tree for about 1.5 years. I pulled over one day, cut it up and started hauling it away. I could see houses in the distance but did not really know who's land it was. This tree was maybe 20 ft from the side of the road.

So while loading my truck a neighbor drives by and tells me the name of the landowner. I decide to do the right thing and drive to his house apologize for trespassing his land and offer my sincere apologies and all the wood that i have cut. This grumpy old man decides to go into a tirade and chew me out something fierce. This is after I tried to be polite as possible, as I really did feel bad. So he did not want the wood, but told me to leave it where i got it, and continued to verbally assault me.

So I have given this quite some thought, if the man had been the least bit courteous, i would have offered him some form of cash reparations for infringing on his land. Due to him being so difficult and rude, i just dropped the wood and never looked back.

Not sure what I would have done in his shoes, what would you have done in mine?

If i was him and not a wood burner i would have been pissed but told ya to clean up the rest of the tree if ya need or want it.. If i was you.. you did all you could do after the fact.. You already know what ya did wrong so i wont go there..

You had no business whatsoever taking that tree in the first place. And then come on here acting like the victim? Not good. Saying you would have paid the man after the fact is easy. The right thing would have been to discover the owner and get permission first. Failure to do that, in these parts, will put your butt in jail in a hurry!

I sure hope you leaned some thing from this, then it won't look as bad in my eyes. I guess we will know that by how you respond to these posts!

Ted

dave_026,

All i can say is arn't you lucky the home owner didn't have a gun.

Mine is mine and yours is yours and if you take mine i might shoot you.
Always ask first and cut second.

Ya' should have knocked on some doors 'till ya' found the land owner. Gone to the court house, bought a plot map and looked up the land owner, knocked on that guys door and ask.

I drive past an old ?67? Pontiac GTO every now and then. That car has been sitting in the same spot since the 1980's. I have watched saplings grow into trees around this car, it has sunk to the floor boards and is simply going to "melt" into Mother earth one of these days. The house is long abandoned with front porch roof falling off a few years ago. The land owner has cleaned up the property and mows a few times a summer, no more saplings.

I hate to see an old classic going to hell. That doesn't mean I'm gonna drag it home and fix it up.
It aint mine,,I have no business fooling with it.

Ok - I was in the wrong.

My dad lives in a place where each house has 5-10 acres of land. He is about 70, so I like to help him out with firewood when I can. So after driving by this blown down tree for about 1.5 years. I pulled over one day, cut it up and started hauling it away. I could see houses in the distance but did not really know who's land it was. This tree was maybe 20 ft from the side of the road.

So while loading my truck a neighbor drives by and tells me the name of the landowner. I decide to do the right thing and drive to his house apologize for trespassing his land and offer my sincere apologies and all the wood that i have cut. This grumpy old man decides to go into a tirade and chew me out something fierce. This is after I tried to be polite as possible, as I really did feel bad. So he did not want the wood, but told me to leave it where i got it, and continued to verbally assault me.

So I have given this quite some thought, if the man had been the least bit courteous, i would have offered him some form of cash reparations for infringing on his land. Due to him being so difficult and rude, i just dropped the wood and never looked back.

I would have not ever been in your shoes. It's his tree even when it falls down. I have a neighbor that has lots of timber joining my land. His trees die and fall on my fence. I ask to get each and every one of them before I cut any in to firewood. I do make a cut to get it off my fence. He has told me for years to just go ahead and use that wood but I was raised to ask and I do. I've seen loggers here cross property lines and cut green trees and when it goes to court if not settled between the 2 I've seen the court award as much as $5,000 a tree if it's good hardwood.

If I caught you cutting on my land without permission I'd have called 911 and made sure you didn't leave before they got there. And yes I've given wood away many times but they came and asked. I'm sure you've heard "if it ain't worth asking for it ain't worth taking". If you haven't heard of that you might want to remember it. You were wrong and deserved every word the land owner gave you. You stole his wood and he hurt your pride. Consider yourself lucky and don't do that again. It's called respect. Something we see less of every day. I don't tolerate thieves. If in need, ask and I will help.

Well, having started your post with "I was on the wrong", You already KNOW that.

You will probably not make friends with the landowner, neither change his character, at 70yo (-: .....

Him being abusive, well, couldva called the police on you, too. Still can...! Hopefully you won't meet him anymore.

You started wrong but recovered and did right.

If the gentleman makes no claims, leave it at that - JMHO .

SA

Gruminess aside, he told you that he wants you to leave the wood where it is. He didn't ask for any cash, and assuming you have said sorry, you don't need to worry about it after this.

It's a shame you didn't do the right thing and track the landowner down first and ask permission. If he is an older gentleman and does not burn wood, you might have been pleasantly suprised to have him say "sure, take it. By the way, there's more if you want it." Over the years, I've turned small prospects into really nice scores on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to ask for permission to tresspass on someone else's property. Nowadays it can be dangeruos to do so. If it were me i would be mad too, If it were me i would have told you to leave too. Now if you ask first i would have helped you. Especially if i didn't burn wood, But i do and that big tree would have been firewood for me.

Whatever you do, please ask for permission from now on. Some folks will shoot before they talk. Getting shot or arrested is not worth any amount of firewood.

Ok - I was in the wrong.

From the location of your post I can see u are not a serious person and just wanted to stir things up a bit as you know the members on this site are respectable and think of others, not just themselves. If this is how you "get off" I feel sorry for you. Spend a little of the energy you have on doing something good for others. :notrolls2:

Back