I scored an 029 Pro on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1273

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I scored an 026 Pro on Ebay

Last night I won an auction for an 029 Pro with a 20" B&C on it. Being new to the chainsaw game, I'm wondering if this is too big of a bar? Also, what would the advantage be of replacing it with a bar that the nose end/sprocket is replaceable would be. I'm mostly going to be doing clean up, & thinning of some hard woods for my mom. I will probably go ahead & cut it for fire wood to sell. I have studied a bit & decided I will go with a semi chisel chain. I guess another question would be what brand is the best for aftermarket bars? Thanx in advance for your help & guidance. My first post was about safety gear & got a good amount of advise.

Last edited:
20 inches is as far as i would go on that saw. If you are running a .325 chain it should be fine, though. What size wood are you cutting? The bar does steal some horsepower, that's a fact, but the issue really comes down to what kind of wood you are cutting. In my opinion, the 029 is going to be fine until you get to something like 16in hardwood, then you may be finding yourself wishing you had more power. Until then, the 029 ought to lump along ok.

Also, opening up the muffler on this saw seems to really make a difference, but be sure to retune the carburetor.

Remember, a lot of this is subjective... A guy who has made his living with a 372 would never be happy with the performance of your saw under any circumstance. On the other hand, a fellow who just upgraded from an 021 would wonder why anyone would need more saw than an 029.

If the wood is not too big, the 20in bar has a chance of making you pretty happy, especially if its running .325 and you've dug into the saw a little bit. How's your back? The 20in saves a little bending too.

I think

I think the guy advertised it as a pro model; I would have to go back & look. Most of the tree's I will be cutting will be in the 16" range. All are different types of oak, & hickory mostly. I have my eye set on a MS 361, but I lost that auction in the last 15 seconds. I found this one & stayed on it & made my last bid with 10 seconds to go. As long as it runs good & I don't have to put a pile of money in it, I will be happy. I'm still going to get a 361 new; seems according to all I have read here you can't do it with one saw! Plus I got to get my safety gear! Any advice on the different type bars? I'm sorry it's an 026 not 029, close in number but not in performance I'm sure

Last edited:
nothing against the 029, but when you have a 361 sitting there my guess is you will use it for almost everything you cut.

I am not aware of any "pro" model 029. The seller might have listed it that way, but this is a midrange saw, at least for marketing. I think it is a very good one, though. Maybe you got lucky and it is an 029 Super, which makes a big difference. Either way, those saws are very reliable. About the only gotcha on those is the fuel line, which WILL need replacing every couple of years. When you get the saw, I'd pull the muffler before you even start it and check for scoring. If the P.O. liked to pinch the bar, you may have pretty sloppy AV mounts too. They are cheap, and not too hard to replace. I'd go with an 18" .325 setup on that. Muffler mods really do wake those saws up. You do not have to get crazy with it. Most of my 1127 muffler mods look nearly stock. Enjoy the saw, and let us know how it turns out!

I am not aware of any "pro" model 029. The seller might have listed it that way, but this is a midrange saw, at least for marketing. I think it is a very good one, though. Maybe you got lucky and it is an 029 Super, which makes a big difference. Either way, those saws are very reliable. About the only gotcha on those is the fuel line, which WILL need replacing every couple of years. When you get the saw, I'd pull the muffler before you even start it and check for scoring. If the P.O. liked to pinch the bar, you may have pretty sloppy AV mounts too. They are cheap, and not too hard to replace. I'd go with an 18" .325 setup on that. Muffler mods really do wake those saws up. You do not have to get crazy with it. Most of my 1127 muffler mods look nearly stock. Enjoy the saw, and let us know how it turns out!

I think the OP stated in a later post that it's a 026 PRO, not a 029. Slip of the finger.. Happens to the best of us.

I think the OP stated in a later post that it's a 026 PRO, not a 029. Slip of the finger.. Happens to the best of us.

My bad. I was typing at the same time as OP I guess. 026 PRO, very nice. Also responds to muffler mod well. You will like it. If you're going to get a 361 anyway, I'd get a 16" bar for the 026. You can save the 20"+ stuff for big brother. 026 with 16" bar is very nimble and fun.

The 026 Pro is a great saw.. you bought a quality item. Stick with 16 to 18 inches on this if you can.

Brad Snelling and some other fellers (sorry if i don't remember who all was there) completed a shootout that seemed to indicate that the 026/260 clearly preferred the .325 chain. That was a nice bit or work, guys.

You might want to look that up for clues to which bar and chain you should seek.

Welcome to the site.
The 026 or 029 will be fine. Our 026 runs a 20" bar and full comp. chain. The 29 supers the same with 3/8 and still no problem. Open that baby up with a muff.mod it will surprise you. I run a 084 most of the time but it don't bother me a bit to grab that 026 and gnaw away at any size woods. You just can't crowd it like a big saw. It's a fun little saw.

If you have any trouble just hollar and me and the boy will ride down and give you a hand. Have trees will travel. You ain't but an hour and half drive away. Good luck and saw safe.

Smilin Possum

I appreciate the offer & know I got someone to call on when the help is needed. I'm quite a ways from really getting into it. I only have a few trees right now that have to be dealt with. When the weather breaks & sum underbrush dies off, Going to do a lil walking round flagging & getting ready for the thinning :greenchainsaw:

If you have an 026 pro, recommend skipping the 361 (60cc) on any future purchase and go for a 70cc (044/440/441). It makes for a great 2-saw plan.

026 is my all time fav 50cc saw. As long as you have the adjustable carb and do a muffler mod you will be happy. I like my 026 far and above my 346xp that everyone ravs about.

John

Latest posts

Back