I shut it down as soon as it started Knocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDunk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ever famous last words huh ??? I know this isn't really chainsaw related, but i'm just wondering how many other people have heard those "ever famous last words" when they bring a peice of equipment into your shop. The log truck driver said that as soon as he heard a "knocking" sound, he shut it down, called his boss and waited for a tow truck. Now anybody who know anything about engines can tell it was making noise for more than a couple seconds, I'll let you guys be the judge.

i tried getting a shot of the crank, but i didn't want my camera to get oiled up. And trust me, the crank is hosed too.

That engine got trashed good! his story is bs those parts look almost welded in some spots and wore paper thin. My guess is it was run without oil or the oil leaked out . The smoke that came off that must have been pretty intense as well imo.

It was smoking like h#ll when we fired it up, plus it had a miss on #4 Cyl. The bearing (what's left of it) was the #4 rod bearing. So i think there's probably some bent vavles or a mashed injetor also.

Maybe he's hard of hearing.

Could be. Once I was running an old Whisper chipper, the oil pressure line broke and the oil leaked out, I heard it making an odd noise and shut it off. Before using it I had checked the oil. After we fixed the oil line we put oil back in and fired it up, it ran, knocked and put a rod right through the block.

T Dunk

That would be a fun OH/Rebuild!

#4 rod journal is sure to be out of round, but we all have seen hammered engines just slapped together only to have early failure again for not taking the extra steps to insure everything is copasetic.

Is there enough crank left to grind under-sized for an over-sized bearing, or it getting welded ?

T Dunk

That would be a fun OH/Rebuild!

#4 rod journal is sure to be out of round, but we all have seen hammered engines just slapped together only to have early failure again for not taking the extra steps to insure everything is copasetic.

Is there enough crank left to grind under-sized for an over-sized bearing, or it getting welded ?

Accually there just looking for another engine right now. I told them the cheapest way would be to yank the engine, get a new rod,pull the crank out and have it turned ( i think there's enough material there to have it turned, although i haven't mic'd it yet) But they want it running ASAP, so they just want to find a used engine and swap them. I called the local dealer, the crank is $3300 w/ shipping, the Rod is $200, Bearings are $40 a rod, and $50 a main. To have it turned it is definetly cheaper, but they don't want to take the extra time. Your only talking an extra day tops but.....

Accually there just looking for another engine right now. I told them the cheapest way would be to yank the engine, get a new rod,pull the crank out and have it turned ( i think there's enough material there to have it turned, although i haven't mic'd it yet) But they want it running ASAP, so they just want to find a used engine and swap them. I called the local dealer, the crank is $3300 w/ shipping, the Rod is $200, Bearings are $40 a rod, and $50 a main. To have it turned it is definetly cheaper, but they don't want to take the extra time. Your only talking an extra day tops but.....

Yes I hear that, searching an engine and delivery could take longer then re-grinding. Plus what quality is the used engine? The school I went to says that "if you don't have the time to do it right the first time, you sure the h311 wont have the time, the second time!"

That $3300 dollars for a new crank will lease a replacement for the money it would save vs welding/grinding.

But hay. what do we know?

Factory rebuilds are sometimes an option, if there is one on a pallet anywhere close, and rebuild the one you have for a spare.

The one in there right now is a Cummins Recon. I went to College at the University of Northwestern Ohio. They said the same thing about doing it the second time around. They wanted me to just slap a set of bearings in it to get it by. I just smerked and said i'm not gonna waste my time doing that. And i told them what you said too about what condition the other engine is in.

Holy ****! Ouch, looks like he ran it to the nearest phonebooth 10 miles down da road, whatta mess!
I know very little about diesels but that sort of damage in anything means no band-aids allowed in my book.

:cheers:

Serge

Same here. I hate temp. fixing problems because i've had it happen before where the guy that i "jury rigged" something for says " Travis fixed so you know it's done right" then the buyer has a problem and poof, there goes my good repution. Aint worth it.

Ever famous last words huh ??? I know this isn't really chainsaw related, but i'm just wondering how many other people have heard those "ever famous last words" when they bring a peice of equipment into your shop. The log truck driver said that as soon as he heard a "knocking" sound, he shut it down, called his boss and waited for a tow truck. Now anybody who know anything about engines can tell it was making noise for more than a couple seconds, I'll let you guys be the judge.

I have seen that kind of damage happen in seconds on a SBC gas motor.

When you have a complete loss of oil pressure, it will be gone by the time you hear it.

Back