I STIHL cant believe it...!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wow do I have a cool family!!!
As I stated in a previous post, I am gettin hitched with my better half in the next few months. Well I was told by dear ol mom that for an engagement gift they wanted to get me something I could use around the house...

BAMMMMM - NEW SAW!!!! :D

I am thinking of a new MS 460 MAG as of right now. As I metioned all the Huskey dealers are gone and I do need the dealer support so I have to stick with a Stihl. I searched and read all the posts on the 046/460 and they all seem really positive. Will have a muff. job done when I get it, probably by Mr. KD himself since it sounds like he has some experience with those.

One thing that I did notice that is puzzling is that the fuel cap on the 460 is 31.8 oz the oiler cap is 11.02 oz. Comapred to the 440 the oiler cap is same but fuel is far less. Having a 360 PRO already, I know that the oiler is supposed to be almost run out when your tank of gas goes dry. Seeing this I have to wonder if the 460 will be more stingy on the bar oil due to the fact that it is to run out proportionally with the gas (i.e. 460 bigger gas tank, same size oiler as 440)!!! Is this true, or do you have to refill the bar oil before you run out of gas? If this isnt clear, call me something mean and I will try to re post my question.

Thanks-
Drew

Hey "something mean", did it ever occur to you that fuel consumption on the 460 might be higher than on the 440? The oil pumps on these two saws will be rated in liters/minute. Without checking the specs I`d be surprised if these two saw were equiped with different oil pumps or capacities, so in the same amount of run time the oil usage is somewhat of a constant, fuel consumed by the different displacements and hp outputs is a variable.

The old thumb rule is that your gas should run out just before your oil, nowadays oilers are stingier and this relationship may not be so clear. For example, I run two tanks of fuel through my Greffardized 260 by the time the oil tank is 2/3 empty. The bottom line is that you will know when your fuel tank is empty while cutting but you may not notice that the oiler quit working right away, so oil tanks are sized for a longer run time than fuel tanks.

Have you considered a 440 vs the 460? Have you handled these saws side by side?

Don`t get too blown away by how well the soon to be inlaws treat you now, they are just making an investment. Every nice or reasonable thing thet do now will be reciprocated ten fold with nasty pettyness when they are mad at you, especially if your marriage ends. It will be your fault no matter what. Enter this marriage that in the eyes of the law is nothing more than a business relationship, with your eyes wide open.

Something Meaner

Yup I believe that's the answer...

I feel a little silly, but be that as it may have any current 460 owners experienced any problems with the oiler or amount of oil put out on these saws?

Stihltech(or anyone who knows)-Is the oiler pump any different between the 440 or 460 when they come from the manuf.?

Thanks-
Drew

Hey Drew, we`ve all felt silly at one time or another. Only the real men admit it. My reply to you sounded kind of grumpy when I read it back, glad you didn`t take it that way.

Russ

yes I have been thinking between the 440 and 460 but feel that the 440 might be a little to close to my 360 PRO and wanted some more 'seperation' between the 2 saws.
By the way, its my parents that are buying the saw for me, not the "outlaws"!

-drew

Jokers-

Nope not a bit. No hard feelings at all. Thanks for taking time from your life to teach me something.

-Drew

Hey Drew,

Have you prepared dear old Mom for the sticker shock? Many are dumbfounded when they find out what real saws cost as they have only been subjected to the $100 specials at Home Depot. Hope it works out for ya.

Is getting married worth the saw?:p

I have a 460 that I have run every day since september of last year and have had NO problems with the oiler. I normally run a 24'' bar and full comp chain, I have run as long as 28'' on it in hardwood with no problems. One suggestion, take off the factory 7 pin sprocket and replace it with an 8 pin; you should see a 10-15% increase in cutting speed;)

Newfie-

Yes I know what they are going to cost approx. Dad has a few Stihls, so I am sure she has been prepped for the cost!
I am thinking of ordering one from Walkers up nort dere. Waiting on a price, plus I was probably going to have him do a muffler mod anyway so why not, or is it, "and why wouldnt I".
And I see this as just another added perk to the whole matrimonial bliss thing!!!

Anybody ever order a Stihl from Walkers? Is there any difference between those saws sent to Canada versus the states?

Thanks-
Drew

Drew it is good to see that you are learning proper aboristsite grammer, and why wouldn't you??:D

Thanks for all the input so far...

Ryan-
Yes my grammer is improving! And why wouldnt it, right, I mean I must check for new posts ever 30 min or so!!! I am definatly developing a problem....

Is there REALLY any difference between the saws sent to Canada vs. the States? I wouldnt be supprised if there was, but also if there wasent.
I am just curious if there are any other than the fact that some are in Canada and some are in the U.S., that much I can figure out on my own!!!

Thanks
Drew

Drew,
Yourparents sound like great people, got any sisters? I might consider marrige again if there was a PP3120 in the offer.

Ryan-

I knew that if I took the 7 tooth sproket off and put an 8 tooth on there I would see more speed, but will I lose some of my lower end power (torque)?
Reason being, I have been a little let down by the power of my 360 w/ 20" RS (sharp) in some really big hard wood. It cuts, and it doesent bog at all. Its just that I want the saw to fall through the log like its a hot knife through warm butter! Plus with all the hard wood out here, the extra low end grunt I can get from the 460 will be worth it to me. Do I lose that going to an 8 tooth?

When I get this saw I am going to buy it with an 18 bar on it. Take the 20" I already have on the 360 and put it on the 460.
Take the new 18" and put it on the 360.
Should be a good set up and allow for versatility between the 2. I dont want a 24" yet b/c I dont cut anything that needs a 24" bar that I cant get done with a 20" bar. Plus 24" costs more for loops of chain!!!
And of course both will have Walkerized mufflers to allow proper ventilation!
And why wouldnt they?
-Drew

I second that :D ...Drew you only check every half hour you dont have the AS bug bad enough yet..you should be checking every 10 minutes or so..and why would'nt you..

Rob

wak110-
Yes, my floks are awsome, and they are both my very good friends. I have another brother (2 years younger) @ 23, but I dont think that would work, at least not for him! :laugh:
Not that I am implying anything, b/c I dont know you at, thats all!

If I did have a sister, I would probably be one of those brothers that would want to beat the life out of her boyfriends at first, then really liking the guy once I gave him a chance...

-drew

Thanks Dan-
You are correct, that would simplify things but I was trying to go to the 18" on the 360 b/c is seems a little nose heavy now and was hoping to try to balance it out some. I definatly want to keep everything 3/8" / .050
Plus when I fell a tree with a thick canopy and go to trim it out, that 20" bar is a bit cumbersome in tight places.
Regarless, your point is well taken and I will have to think about it a bit to determine if I should just keep things simpler and go all 20"ers. Thanks for the suggestion.

-drew

P.S. how do you like those 460's of yours???

Drew, I have 5 stihls now....4 of them after divorce. So do the math. 1 saw to get married, 4 when you get out:p Why is divorce so expensive...because its worth it (just like your 440/460)

Sap

Latest posts

Back