I want a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcguvier

Reaction score
I want to get a new saw, my current saw is a husquvarna 262XP, thats about 11 years old I just replaced the jug and piston. I am considering a new 372XP or the top contender is a 576 auto tune. I cut mostly firewood. I like to get it done quick. Any thoughts on the 372 or 576

I want to get a new saw, my current saw is a husquvarna 262XP, thats about 11 years old I just replaced the jug and piston. I am considering a new 372XP or the top contender is a 576 auto tune. I cut mostly firewood. I like to get it done quick. Any thoughts on the 372 or 576

Good to have ya!!!

The 372 is solid and proven. You wont go wrong with one, and it will last as long and as well as your 262. I love mine. More grunt than the 262, just as snappy, and just a smidge more weight.

The 576 is new school. Ya take your chances, but the guys that have them, love 'em.

Question for ya though....
Whatcha gonna do with the old 262?:D

Some of us love the things.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Stihl 046

Good to have ya!!!

The 372 is solid and proven. You wont go wrong with one, and it will last as long and as well as your 262. I love mine. More grunt than the 262, just as snappy, and just a smidge more weight.

The 576 is new school. Ya take your chances, but the guys that have them, love 'em.

Question for ya though....
Whatcha gonna do with the old 262?:D

Some of us love the things.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get a Stihl 460 ...very quick saw

Get the 372, they wont be manufactured much longer due to emissions regulations. It is lighter than the 576 and has no experimental "auto tune" to mess with.

The 372 will have a little more power than the 262, the downside is that you will not be able to swap bars between saws because the 262 uses a different bar mount pattern.

Personally I would freshen up the 262 and get a 390XP for big wood:chainsaw:

460 Stihl is very nice , But I would get the 372 .. Just too good a saw not to have ........ The best thing to do is get a 372 and a 460 , and a 681 Solo and a 7900 Dolmar .. Then you can do a real comparison test ...
. I will prolly go with the 390 or 395 for my next full size saw . As I,ve had 2 372s and 1 371 .. and 3, 460 /046s . I,ve got a 681 Solo that I need to get a wrap handle for so I can stick it in some real timber next summer .................. The 372 is so smooth . It,s like the 394/ 395 in how smooth it is ......

Well I got the 576 autotune. The first two tanks of gas I was wonder why I spent that much money. Then tank 3 wow the power came on and on up tank 6 today and its just getting more powerfull. The dealer said it will keep getting more powerful until tank 9 or 10. I love the low end torque. It makes my 262 look like a Wallmart saw.

get a 460 or a 441. I have a couple 372's, 440, 460's, 7900's 066's, etc.

My 440 and 460 are my go to saws. better built and more parts availibility imo. The 440 is closer to weight than the 460, but then again you will have a hard time finding one in very good shape......

But if you are stuck on a hucky...get the 372

There ya go!

yep me too (262 and get a 390XP for big wood)

any ideas where I could get a wrap around bar for my little old 257, I just cant let this saw go it has been so useful on small trees & as much power now than when I got it (well almost) one day she may have a new pot & piston but not for a long time yet. also the heated handles are driving me nuts, I just cant get them going and checked all the obvious things like connections and generator, dont worry my my hands are always warm when using it but it does or used to dry out my gloves a treat :clap:

I really like the 365 and 395 xp saws

I have had these saws for years, a couple of years ago had to replace the upper end on my 365 went big bore to a 372, good choice-
This past summer had to do the same with the 395 after 6 years of daily use...
I went with the big bore jug on this too, I figure it is approx 98 cc's now, and boy I really like it-

I have a 3120 in the shop, but power to weight ratio I like the MS 880 better, I just wish the handles were spaced like the husky's it would be so much nicer to wield in a tree-

My question, current big saws, who makes the biggest saw Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc?

Get a 372 if you want that extra power but not all that much extra weight, the 395 is a tiring saw to work all day...

A 460 makes me wish that I had an 064.
Have not run the 576 yet but the 575 made me glad that I have plenty of 372s.

Joe; that was a friend of mines opinion also .. A 460 is great but a 372 is also ..I might take Burzol,s advice and get a 390 ...... I,m not getting another Solo as Bailey,s won,t return phone calls for parts ....... Baileys pretty much sucks .....
They havn,t sold stihls for 30 years and they carry Stihl parts .. They sell Solos but don,t cataloge any parts ...............That is kind of the definition of a sucky outfit ....

Joe; that was a friend of mines opinion also .. A 460 is great but a 372 is also ..I might take Burzol,s advice and get a 390 ...... I,m not getting another Solo as Bailey,s won,t return phone calls for parts ....... Baileys pretty much sucks .....
They havn,t sold stihls for 30 years and they carry Stihl parts .. They sell Solos but don,t cataloge any parts ...............That is kind of the definition of a sucky outfit ....

Baily's sure doesn't seem the same since the old man passed on.
Maybe it is just that they are more worried about the lawn mowers and stump grinders than the man whose life depends on a good ax and square chisel tooth.
Maybe the new dealership rules have them messed up. I sure hate it that I can't get husky saws from them any more.
The 460 reminds me of the the old V-8 drink commercial. Why would you want about the same weight and size and that much less power?:dizzy:
A 390 is a sweet saw, but with what I am getting out of a 372 my next step up is a 395.
But if I was staying in better timber I might want a 390.

It took me quite a bit of experimenting with taping over the starter cover to get just the right amount of COLD air howling thru the cylinder fins ..It may be another -35 day tomorrow .. I hope it isn't any colder as I need to work tomorrow ... Even @ 35 below , the sled doesn,t like turning over in the morning .. I HAVE to wear a face mask to breath thru all day ... The mounts on the solo are made for a 20" bar . with a 28 , which is still a SHORT bar it flops all over the place ... BUT it doesn,t weigh any more than the 460 Stihl . But Flat out cuts it ........ It,s really noticable ... If it came with full wrap handle bars , better mounts , and a dealership . for the same price , I think it would be a great saw ... Perhaps the 7900 Dolmar has it all figured out ......But WHY pay the same as a Husky or Stihl , when really I,m a guinny pig ..........

Back