I want to be on Axe-men!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biodzl_vt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
No seriously, ever since the show debut in 2008 everbody and their brother has touted how they could run saw better than those guys on TV and are way more rugged than those whiners. The same for "Deadliest Catch". The reality is they don't just pick up greenhorns off the street or the docks. Timber falling seems like a dream job, watching 100+ foot trees crash down gets every straight man's adrenaline pumping, strenuous for sure, but rewarding. Not many people can walk into an old growth forest and start laying into it with a 660 and get paid for it, rather handsomely I might add. Or flopping down the neatly spaced rows of a plantation. I'm not just some Axe-men fanatic, I have 5 years in the tree industry, certified arborist, etc. I am familiar with the trees around my region, not so much western cedar, doug fir, etc. I guess my question is, is there anyway to become a timber feller in the NW without being lucky enough to be born into it? Thanks

There is a great deal of truth in what Gologit says. Without family connections, I would not have had the opportunities I had.
One of the outfits I fell timber for in the Sierras, would get an Arborist a week looking to fall timber, they were handed some pruning shears and directed to some brush.

Last edited:
haha, yeah, that's what I figured. Seems like one could get experience through Forest Service as a wildland firefighter.

It might be a way to get started but production falling and falling on fires are two totally different things.

Forestry is also highly regulated, you will need to be certified and endure training.
Competition for a very limited amount of jobs, leaves the novice kinda ass out, in both fields.

can you scuba dive S&S guys may give you a shot... you are obviously an old salt since you know so much about fishing that you could out do them greenhorns on deadliest catch... whats the name of the seaport in Vermont? white river junction maybe? some rough waters there.

Pay serious attention to the sounds pigs make. When you get proficient at calling Feral Hogs give em a call. It may be to your benefit to also get drunk out of your mind first, they seem to like that.

No seriously, ever since the show debut in 2008 everbody and their brother has touted how they could run saw better than those guys on TV and are way more rugged than those whiners. The same for "Deadliest Catch". The reality is they don't just pick up greenhorns off the street or the docks. Timber falling seems like a dream job, watching 100+ foot trees crash down gets every straight man's adrenaline pumping, strenuous for sure, but rewarding. Not many people can walk into an old growth forest and start laying into it with a 660 and get paid for it, rather handsomely I might add. Or flopping down the neatly spaced rows of a plantation. I'm not just some Axe-men fanatic, I have 5 years in the tree industry, certified arborist, etc. I am familiar with the trees around my region, not so much western cedar, doug fir, etc. I guess my question is, is there anyway to become a timber feller in the NW without being lucky enough to be born into it? Thanks

Your already too smart. Those PNW guys cut down trees with outdated methods like they are still using crosscut saws and axes not chainsaws. And "good" TV only wants us to see the dumbest of the dumb so you have no chance with being from the NE and having a CA and actually knowing how to cut down a tree.
I know a guy who just tried exactly what you wanted to do this past fall. He packed his saws and gear, left most of his brain behind, and moved to Veronia, Vernonia..... Oregon. After getting laughed out of town in a month he repacked his crap and moved again. Bottom line is his story is pretty much like what RandyMac and GoLogit said. The only difference he said was that if you wanted to be a faller you had to start at the bottom and work your way up to faller and that definetly makes sense in ANY trade.

logging jobs are competitive, because there is less work going on. In a town like Vernonia where everyone knows everyone, an outsider doesn't stand a chance. Not enough jobs to go around. There is lots of talented fallers working that aren't on tv.

I do to

We were at a family deal today and everybody got on the ax man kick agine telling me I should be on the show and the way I tear up stuff would make chealse stanga blush . well I doubt the history staitions gonna call tommorow. they also compared me to forest gump .i guess its a complement

dude-wtf.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a great deal of truth in what Gologit says. Without family connections, I would not have had the opportunities I had.
One of the outfits I fell timber for in the Sierras, would get an Arborist a week looking to fall timber, they were handed some pruning shears and directed to some brush.
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Family is the best way to get in the industry. Second is knowing people in the industry. Your buddy knew a guy that got him a job and your buddy got you the job kinda thing. And then if you even get a shot it doesn't mean your stayin. Ax Men is not full reality; most of it is staged!

If you want to be on TV call everybody you can. If you want to be a timber faller call Crown Alaska logging. They will might give you a shot. Also Columbia helicopters.

Latest posts

Back