I want to beat my self in the head with a hammer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddol1971

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:bang: I was pulling the clutch off of my homelite 240 when I dropped the saw right on the corner of the bench. You know what comes next :bang: It landed on the flywheel & busted of one of the fins off. How do I fix it. Can it run with it off without any problems, or will vibrations kill it? If it can be welded back on, how do I do that? Thanks from butthead :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang :bang: :bang: :buttkick:

There are many saws out there with fins missing. don't worry too much about it. Just check to make sure it didnt't do more damage...ie crack around the hub as that could be dangerous if it came apart at WOT

Well it barely fell, I mean like 2" or so. It landed on wood & when I dropped it I never thought it would have broke cause it was a very soft fall if you know what I mean. I guess the weight of the saw x's rate of fall at 2" was enough LOL. I'm looking into finding a nos flywheel & clutch thru lawnmowertech aka calvin. If no luck then I'll be running it less one fin. Thanks Todd.

So you crash-tested your saw.... don't be too hard on yourself, it was bound to happen. It's mother nature's way of telling you to go buy a really smokin' saw. :D

would it make you feel any better if I told you I remove a majority of them on my play saws?

would it make you feel any better if I told you I remove a majority of them on my play saws?

I take it you do this for faster rev up. Just like lightening the flywheel on any motor right. Actually the first thought I had was maybe I should knock off 2 more in the appropriate spots as to help ballance it out a little. You think this will work? Todd.

Well it barely fell, I mean like 2" or so. It landed on wood & when I dropped it I never thought it would have broke cause it was a very soft fall if you know what I mean. I guess the weight of the saw x's rate of fall at 2" was enough LOL. I'm looking into finding a nos flywheel & clutch thru lawnmowertech aka calvin. If no luck then I'll be running it less one fin. Thanks Todd.

first need UT #

I take it you do this for faster rev up. Just like lightening the flywheel on any motor right. Actually the first thought I had was maybe I should knock off 2 more in the appropriate spots as to help ballance it out a little. You think this will work? Todd.

run it and see how it feels. If you have a bunch and it vibrates a lot more than it did, then by all means, but from experience I can tell you you won't be able to feel much, and if you do it is probably in your head (cause you broke one....lol)

If there are not that many fins, ex 6-8 then I wouldn't go removing 2 more of them. Those fins are what cool your motor. The play saws don't run that long so the heat isn't a big deal, but in the woods running minutes on end for each cut will damaged the motor if there are not enough fins to cool the motor properly.

Homelite 240

That model is one of my least favorite Homelites. I have a pile of parts for them including flywheels. PM me for whatever you need and all you will do is cover the shipping.......Bob :)

Calvin, ut 10630. but it sounds like Bob may have me covered. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Steve, I knew it cooled the motor, but didnt think about it so thanks for saying that cause I probably would have done it & then realized that my saw was running hot. Anyhow your probably right that I'll never know its missing.

Bob. I'll gladly take you up on that. I'll pm you. I got the saw when my dad died so there is the sentimental value in it for me plus the damn saw runs good. It has the original spark plug in it & I've ran that thing for 17yrs Probably went thru 4 or 5 bars in that time. 1 bar was ok but I went with a 14 instead of 16. Anyhow I let the needle bearings dry out & the clutch started sticking. The crank is fine though. I've neglected this saw & I'm giving it some love now. I agree that its pretty much a generic saw, but you know how stuff is, if your like me & it runs, having it this long, I want to keep it running so any parts I can get for it will be great. Thanks. Todd.

Last edited:
:bang: I was pulling the clutch off of my homelite 240 when I dropped the saw right on the corner of the bench. You know what comes next :bang: It landed on the flywheel & busted of one of the fins off. How do I fix it. Can it run with it off without any problems, or will vibrations kill it? If it can be welded back on, how do I do that? Thanks from butthead :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang :bang: :bang: :buttkick:

Both my 066 and 372 are a little light on the fin side. I don't lose much sleep. The 066 has even seen a lot of mill time.

Mark

Dang it I'm too slow. Was gonna say the same thing as blsnelling. but then again if you can get a replacement for little to nothing thats an even better solution.

Continue breaking parts off and the 240 might cut faster ("lightening"). Some folks call it "modifying", do enough of them and people might start paying you to "modify" their saws as well. Drill a hole in it, paint some flames on it and come up with a clever name and ebayers will make you rich.

Do not feel bad, it happens. I dropped a new clutch for one of my Makitas on the concrete and the shoes shattered. Bad days make the good days all the better. Good luck.

Back