I Want To Build A Load Handler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I Want To Build A Load Handler, Need Help

So we have all seen the cheap load handler that seems to work . Well, I want to build my own with bigger and better material but I dont want the hand crank, does anybody know where I could get a gear box like the one in the pics below that could be operated by just a drill?

I gets hard reaching over the sides of the trailer, over stretching and straining to get all the wood out to be stacked or thrown in the basement. I used to want a dump trailer but after much thought I would rather not pick the wood up twice, so this would be a better deal for me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

trailerappLH2000.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure if the trailer in the top two pictures is yours, but if so, it looks to be either 8' or 10' long. In any event, it should be able to hold at least 1/2 cord of wood. What type of drill do you expect to use that would pull that much weight out of the trailer? I think that you would be much better off with a gearbox like they use to jack large trailers. Many of them are two speeds and if it will lift the front of a 53' road trailer it will handle what you have in mind.

Had a friend that built one years ago, he used a starter motor from a v-8 engine.
He geared it the way he wanted and let er rip. Worked great for unloading demolished concrete from his trailer. Don't see why it wouldn't work for your application.
:cheers:

I am not sure if the trailer in the top two pictures is yours, but if so, it looks to be either 8' or 10' long. In any event, it should be able to hold at least 1/2 cord of wood. What type of drill do you expect to use that would pull that much weight out of the trailer? I think that you would be much better off with a gearbox like they use to jack large trailers. Many of them are two speeds and if it will lift the front of a 53' road trailer it will handle what you have in mind.

The trailers in the pics arent mine, they were for ref only. The belt I am going to use is teflon coated so that should help a little with the friction. I am looking at 1 cord loads green so the average would be around 5000lbs, I like the trailer dolly gearbox idea

Last edited:
Had a friend that built one years ago, he used a starter motor from a v-8 engine.
He geared it the way he wanted and let er rip. Worked great for unloading demolished concrete from his trailer. Don't see why it wouldn't work for your application.

Thats a good idea . I also thought about a winch.

PineFever ,
Do you remember how it was geared or have any pics?

Using a starter motor for extended periods pulling a load can lead to overheating. I once had a Massey Ferguson 1105 in the shop for hydraulic work and some clown kept grinding on the starter. Ended up costing me $300+ to get a new one.

If you have any fabrication skills, try getting a small 12volt dc winch. use the motor and one side of the frame..

Well after much research considering my options, looking into electric motors, winches, gearboxes , gear reductions, etc I think I will try using a gas engine and build a removable mount for it, maybe a HF engine but first Im gonna borrow the 8hp briggs from the splitter and test it out before I go buy another engine. Now I need to decide on the clutch system to use. Centrifugal or CVT torque converter for slower speeds than a centifigal clutch. Im thinking the Centrifugal will burn up quicker. The CVT will automaticly adjust for max torque.

It sure will be nice if I can get this to work, it would be perfect for spreading a much needed thin layer of gravel in the drive with minimal raking.

Well maybe scrap the above idea, even with a 6:1 gear reduction I think it would be to fast. oh well on to the next brainstorm idea LOL

PineFever ,
Do you remember how it was geared or have any pics?

I'm sorry that was over twenty years ago, just remember he had a cog gear on the steel tube at one belt end and an outdoor electrical box mounted on the trailer fender with a push button. When you pushed the button the belt would turn dumping the load. I wish I could help you out with some pics but don't have any.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I saw that picture to on the Loadhandler site. Wish he had given move into on his gear box. He does have a drill beside the loader making you think that's what he used. Keep us posted. I will post if I come up with an idea.

The drive socket idea seems like one of the easiest. Don't know it it would work. But I wonder on a heavy load would the wrench turn the load or turn you. :) What if you wrapped something like rubber (something none skid) to the end where the handle fits in and wrap your winch cable or strap around the pole and hooked you winch to something like another truck or tree. I wonder if the winch would unwind the pole or just pull it and maybe bend the pole it. The loadhandler is a good idea but they should have put some kind of gear mechanism on it to make it even easier. You are on the right track, having it motorized etc would make it almost perfect. Just flip a switch and watch it unload. Whole lot cheaper than a dump bed.

Yes it would be alot cheaper than a dump trailer plus I really dont want to pick up the load from the ground twice. I just want the load to be constantly at arms reach as I unload it . I think wrapping the winch cable arount the shaft would just bend it, it really needs a gear reduction. I havent put much thought forward since I started the post, as I have already got next years wood stacked in the yard. I am still open for suggestions though.

How about the gear box from a self unloading silage wagon? They pull a chain forward with tons of silage on them, I bet that would work on your trailer too. The gear box could be on wheels instead of hooked to your trailer, hooking it up just like they do on the wagon.
Just a thought.
Ted

How about the gear box from a self unloading silage wagon? They pull a chain forward with tons of silage on them, I bet that would work on your trailer too. The gear box could be on wheels instead of hooked to your trailer, hooking it up just like they do on the wagon.
Just a thought.
Ted

I will have to check into that to, thanks!

Back