I watched in horror as the 361 fell from grace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I was buildin fence ,had the 361 sharpenin some fence post.Some guys were in the land owners yard cuttin down a big sugar maple.After they got it down I walked over to see what they were usin.Their foreman had a 266 Husqvarna.After a few jokes about the Stihl Husky feud,I offered to put the 361 up against that 266.We were both runnin full chisel,his saw 20",mine 18".We cut into a 14" limb,and he handed me my a$$.My heart shrunk in shame as my weener shrunk into the unknown.Yall think his saw musta been modded?Maybe a 395 with 266 stickers?Anyhow,my racin days are done.

Do a Lakeside muffler mod and adjust carb and go back for some more, it looks nearly stock but runs great, and have that chain in perfect shape!

Oh boy...wonder how many pages will this one go...:popcorn:

Kevin

I feel your pain. I've never raced saws but I have raced plenty of cars and losing sucks when you start out thinking you have it in the bag.

hahahaha....that one made me laugh out loud..you painted a good picture....thanks...actually those 266's are damn good saws...but a 268 is better and a 272 better yet...he could have had any of those under the cover...:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Today I was buildin fence ,had the 361 sharpenin some fence post.Some guys were in the land owners yard cuttin down a big sugar maple.After they got it down I walked over to see what they were usin.Their foreman had a 266 Husqvarna.After a few jokes about the Stihl Husky feud,I offered to put the 361 up against that 266.We were both runnin full chisel,his saw 20",mine 18".We cut into a 14" limb,and he handed me my a$$.My heart shrunk in shame as my weener shrunk into the unknown.Yall think his saw musta been modded?Maybe a 395 with 266 stickers?Anyhow,my racin days are done.

ROTFLMAO! Great story, but your racin days are not done. Buy a 372 send it to Ed and then next time hand him his a$$.

At least it had displacement on it's side.

The old Husky266 and 268xp were absolutely smokin' saws. Trust me I know. When the 266 first came out every firewood and pulp wood guy I knew ran one. Loved my 268XP, plenty of chain speed and enough power to let you keep the rakers a tad low.

Would love to see a 361 vs 262XP match-up. The old 262XPs used to keep up with the 268XP in 12 inch wood, which is saying something considering it's a small frame Husky.

Shame the EPA had to come along.

Take Care

I might look into havin my saw "Snellerized".If i done it myself it would be "Snailerized",or possibly "Smellerized".Brad,do you just port the muffler and exhaust port?I knew the 266 had the cc advantage,but I figured an almost new 361 would tear it a new one,especially with a shorter bar.

There's a lotta great saws out there, but the Husky 162-based family of saws probably does not have a peer. Same goes for a few of the other 200-series Huskies (281, 288, 242). They pretty much had everything... power down low, power up high, reliability, ease of maintenance. For their time, they held their own on weight also.

I'm finishing up a high top 272xp.. sheesh! What an eye popper! An 044 does not have anything on this saw.

I have made many 266,268 owners down their head in shame back in the day when they tangled with a 120 super or 120si..............

acutally one a couple 266 pink slips that way as well.........:buttkick:

Scott

I have to get in in this one. Cutting speeds on two saws that have virtually the same engine displacement, horsepower, and chain lubrication technology get down to one major variable--Sharpening.

His saw's chain was sharpened razor sharp and probably at angles designed for cutting speed. Yours was not in either case. It's as simple as that. He won not because of a faster and more powerful saw. He had a faster chain that ate you up, even though his was a longer chain.

Yes, Mark is right, this thread could go forever. :chainsaw:

not meanin to argue Wood Doctor,but my chain is sharp.I sharpen to make a fast cutting durable edge.But I agree with you that you can sharpen to make a faster cutting chain that dont hold its edge very well.He beat me by so much that had we both had brand new chains that were untouched by a file,he still would have won.Now his saw may have been bored and ported,and my saw is bone stock.My 361 is a cuttin SOB,so I aint puttin it down by any means,it just met its match.

I had a similar experience about a month ago. We were cutting up some big oak trees and we were using a Husky 268 and a 036 Pro Stihl saw. The Husky had a 24" bar and the Stihl a 20". The Husky was making about 2 1/2 cuts to every cut of the Stihl. We were cutting up oaks that were 4' at the base, so the bars were buried. I realize that the Husky was a little bigger than the Stihl, I just couldn't believe the difference. Both were borrowed saws and had new chains on them. I ended up buying a used Husky 272XP after seeing how that 268 would run.

I have to get in in this one. Cutting speeds on two saws that have virtually the same engine displacement, horsepower, and chain lubrication technology get down to one major variable--Sharpening.

His saw's chain was sharpened razor sharp and probably at angles designed for cutting speed. Yours was not in either case. It's as simple as that. He won not because of a faster and more powerful saw. He had a faster chain that ate you up, even though his was a longer chain.

Yes, Mark is right, this thread could go forever. :chainsaw:

You left out the other factor and IMO the biggest one...... OPERATOR.

You raced a guy who runs a saw for a living, a good operator can make up a lot of time on an inexperienced one.

All and all you should have lost..... his 67cc saw that he runs every day outran your 59cc saw that you run a couple of weekends a year. Whats not to understand. :confused:

Both chains were identical and his chain was just a bit longer? That's mind boggling. I always thought the shorter chain on a small log turned the saw into a Hemi 'Cuda or Mustang Cobra.

So, (1) The logs were identical, (2) You were cutting the same wood species with the same dryness, (3) Both saws were running the same octane gas, (4) The air cleaners were both fresh, so RPM was about the same, etc.

Those are just four items to consider and I wager that both SawTroll and Brad Snelling could come up with at least five more apiece before we even mention potential operator differences.

Last edited:
Back