I watched in horror as the 361 fell from grace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may not be a pro climber or a northwest logger,but I use my saws to make a living,and I use them everyday.I aint a weekend warrior by any means.I build fence for a living and cleanin out grown up fence rows with 2 foot cherry and locust trees is a daily thing.Face it folks ,the 361 lost.Im a Stihl man through and through,and will always be.But I will admit defeat when it happens.But I will also tell ya that I see a 266 or 268 in my near future

I may not be a pro climber or a northwest logger,but I use my saws to make a living,and I use them everyday.I aint a weekend warrior by any means.I build fence for a living and cleanin out grown up fence rows with 2 foot cherry and locust trees is a daily thing.Face it folks ,the 361 lost.Im a Stihl man through and through,and will always be.But I will admit defeat when it happens.But I will also tell ya that I see a 266 or 268 in my near future

The 372xp is the improved replacement for the 272xp. (The 372XPW has the larger 75cc engine.) It has better AV, better filtration, and an inboard clutch. If you decide to buy an older saw, Bailey's has P/C kits for the 268(50mm) and 272(52mm). The 52mm should bolt onto the 268 and turn it into a 272.

I may not be a pro climber or a northwest logger, but I use my saws to make a living, and I use them everyday. I ain't a weekend warrior by any means. I build fence for a living and cleaning out grown up fence rows with 2-foot cherry and locust trees is a daily thing. Face it folks, the 361 lost.

And Erick said, "All and all you should have lost... his 67cc saw that he runs every day outran your 59cc saw... What's not to understand."
---------------
Now, all you have to do is run Brad Snelling's 460 against that 67cc Husky 266 to even up the sides a little. 'Nuff said.

I had a similar experience about a month ago. We were cutting up some big oak trees and we were using a Husky 268 and a 036 Pro Stihl saw. The Husky had a 24" bar and the Stihl a 20". The Husky was making about 2 1/2 cuts to every cut of the Stihl. We were cutting up oaks that were 4' at the base, so the bars were buried. I realize that the Husky was a little bigger than the Stihl, I just couldn't believe the difference. Both were borrowed saws and had new chains on them. I ended up buying a used Husky 272XP after seeing how that 268 would run.

Aaron, How's she runnin? Glad to see you around:clap:

Get a 272.. nuff' said!!

I might look into havin my saw "Snellerized".If i done it myself it would be "Snailerized",or possibly "Smellerized".Brad,do you just port the muffler and exhaust port?I knew the 266 had the cc advantage,but I figured an almost new 361 would tear it a new one,especially with a shorter bar.

Funny you ask about the 361 muffler. It's the only thing on any of my saws that I didn't do myself. The muffler was modded by the person that modded the original P&C. That P&C ended up getting replaced with a new P&C that I installed and then later ported myself. My 361 will cut circles around a stock 460 in up to 20" wood. I've never put a longer bar on it. It's a fun saw to run. Now with that said, my ported 460 is my favorite saw by far. It just screams with a 28" bar and full comp chain. I'm sure it could handle more.

f you were sharpening fence posts, made of, say, locust or hedge, your chain was likely dull as a marathon C-span session........also, at least 7 cc difference, whatever. I stihl stand by the sig......:greenchainsaw:

I don't find your story hard to believe at all. I have Husky and Stihl, all my big Stihls need muffler mods to get into the Husky cutting class, when you mod a Husky hold on. That said, I prefer Stihl (by a very small margin, I'm not selling my Husky's) for many reasons, but Husky's are never short on power and cuttin speed.

As much as some want to think it is, a 361 ain't much to right home about in a cuttin contest.

Last edited:
I have to get in in this one. Cutting speeds on two saws that have virtually the same engine displacement, horsepower, and chain lubrication technology get down to one major variable--Sharpening.

His saw's chain was sharpened razor sharp and probably at angles designed for cutting speed. Yours was not in either case. It's as simple as that. He won not because of a faster and more powerful saw. He had a faster chain that ate you up, even though his was a longer chain.

Yes, Mark is right, this thread could go forever. :chainsaw:

I agree that such comparisons are worthless, if not as many variables as possible in the cutting attachment are eliminated.

What's the big deal here? The saws are not evenly matched. The 266 is really in the next class up, so it should easily beat the 361 as it did.

As long as you had some fun trying to cut against the other saw, who cares who's saw was better. It's the fun and enjoyment that you get out of using your Chain Saw that counts. Nothing Else.
I know that there are faster Chain saws out there then my old Chainsaws. and I have a Cousin who has a Husky, and his is a lot faster in the cut then my Mac 10-10 Automatic. No big deal to me.
I just enjoyed myself using my Chain Saws, because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. After all we are all on Borrowed time here, and we have to make the best of things while we can. Once our Number is called, there is No Arguing what so ever.
Enjoy what you can do, while you can. Bruce.

Latest posts

Back