I watched in horror as the 361 fell from grace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If both saws were tuned properly and had sharp chains on good bars, I see absolutely no way the 266 could cut 2 1/2 times faster than the 361 (didn't he say that somewhere in this post?). There's got to be something missing here.

Last edited:
I don't find your story hard to believe at all. I have Husky and Stihl, all my big Stihls need muffler mods to get into the Husky cutting class, when you mod a Husky hold on. That said, I prefer Stihl (by a very small margin, I'm not selling my Husky's) for many reasons, but Husky's are never short on power and cuttin speed.

As much as some want to think it is, a 361 ain't much to right home about in a cuttin contest.

Are Husky saws really that fast and powerful? I have never used one.

He beat me by about a half block,and the post I was sharpenin were pine.(Round salt treated post).Im just kinda intrigued by the 266 since its an older saw ,not much bigger than the 361.

If your 361 is newish has it been fully run in?
As was pointed out earlier the 266 is 7.7cc bigger thats between 10 and 15% bigger!

There are a lot of reasons why a 266 might beat a 361. The size, the chain, the log, etc. etc. etc.
It's a little emabarassing, but here is proof that a smaller saw can beat a bigger saw with the right chain, and the right log. The saws are a Solo 690 (90cc) and a Husky 3120 (118cc), I was running the Husky:eek:
My redemption is the fact that I made the chain on the Solo.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/?action=view&current=AndyJoelOver5.flv

Andy

jred stihl

I've only been in one saw race. 24" locust, hard as steel. I ran 2165 jred, my buddy ran 056 mag. Both had very sharp chains, and were tuned well. Both with 20" bars, stihl chisel chain. To my surprise the 2165 cut about 1.5 to 1 against the much larger stihl. We did several cuts to compare, no arguments from either of us.

I got my azz handed to me bad (by about 6 to 1) while cutting with my 036 Pro over the weekend. I was cutting with a shot 20" bar and so-so chain, my buddy was running the 880 Mag with the 21" bar and decent .404 chain... it wasn't pretty, but it was no surprise either! :cheers:

You can only expect so much from a smaller displacement saw.

Are Husky saws really that fast and powerful? I have never used one.

Not all, but maybe more of them than with other brands.......:popcorn: :popcorn: :givebeer:

Note to self, Niko revised and extended his remarks.

Looks like we have a competition in editing - I misread the question I answered, so had to edit......:D

Editing competition? Let the games begin, I say!

Yes

Last edited:
so 66cc vs 59cc and the 59 falls from grace

Should the question now not be how deep it actually fell

Then you figure out the right calculation and you get there not?

59 = 11% less volume
was the cutting time less than 11% lower?

If so the 59cc wins.

eg
66cc = 18 sec
59cc = 19 sec

so if the 66 would be a 59 then the time would be 18sec +11% = 19.98 sec

59cc wins with 0.98 sec!

Or opposite,

if the 59 would be a 66 then the time would be 19sec - 11% = 16.91 sec

59 wins with 1.09sec

going from that it is even better to buy a bigger Stihl than to buy a smaller Husky for your production efficienty.

you see even mathematics agree with us :clap: :clap:

You guys also have something as "Monthly closing" (bookkeeping), 've been a little bit too much calculating lately i think...

:)

Last edited:
Back