I wonder what this site would be like if it was 1965?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$(KGrHqN,!n0E-vzYJ5UPBP5IgsW9ig~~60_57.JPG

Even though I would have been only 12 years old I would have beed arguing against gun control. Still do. Also why Jeeps are so much better than any Scout. Still true. I would made fun of anyone skinning a deer with some big Bowie knife instead of a pocket knife. Still do.

I never was really into music but Roger Miller was the best. I also liked the Beach Boys, regardless of what that guy in the gov't said years later. (Can't remember his name.)

Dodge four wheel drive pick-ups were the best. Still are. Lots of old military power wagons were around. Still are. The only thing that stopped them was rust.

I worked for my dad servicing fire equipment in several lumber mills that took only (o g) redwood. Long gone.
I had never heard of McDonalds or Taco Bell. Just A&W and Foster's Freeze.

Mexicans were Braceros. Never any problems with those hard working guys. It was common to hear old guys speaking Italian especially around the wharf. BTW fishing was a local industry.

The only thing made in China was china. Good quality plates and bowls.

I spent my summers growing up living on a ranch in Cali. We had electricity and a party line. TV worked because we strung a mile of coax to the top of a mountain and nailed an antenna to a tree. CB radio was getting rolling but was regulated more than broadcast it seemed. Men were respected if they had a CB license.

There were lots of veterans, WW2 and Korea. Most of the ranch owners were not vets because they got an automatic deferment of some kind. I guess the Army figured no beef meant no America.

Dern near everyone witched for water. I didn't believe it, still don't, but I can sure as heck do it. I even witched for the City Parks dept to help them find an old water line.

Every saw was yellow. Nuff said?

Even though I would have been only 12 years old I would have beed arguing against gun control. Still do. Also why Jeeps are so much better than any Scout. Still true. I would made fun of anyone skinning a deer with some big Bowie knife instead of a pocket knife. Still do.

I never was really into music but Roger Miller was the best. I also liked the Beach Boys, regardless of what that guy in the gov't said years later. (Can't remember his name.)

Dodge four wheel drive pick-ups were the best. Still are. Lots of old military power wagons were around. Still are. The only thing that stopped them was rust.

I worked for my dad servicing fire equipment in several lumber mills that took only (o g) redwood. Long gone.
I had never heard of McDonalds or Taco Bell. Just A&W and Foster's Freeze.

Mexicans were Braceros. Never any problems with those hard working guys. It was common to hear old guys speaking Italian especially around the wharf. BTW fishing was a local industry.

The only thing made in China was china. Good quality plates and bowls.

I spent my summers growing up living on a ranch in Cali. We had electricity and a party line. TV worked because we strung a mile of coax to the top of a mountain and nailed an antenna to a tree. CB radio was getting rolling but was regulated more than broadcast it seemed. Men were respected if they had a CB license.

There were lots of veterans, WW2 and Korea. Most of the ranch owners were not vets because they got an automatic deferment of some kind. I guess the Army figured no beef meant no America.

Dern near everyone witched for water. I didn't believe it, still don't, but I can sure as heck do it. I even witched for the City Parks dept to help them find an old water line.

Every saw was yellow. Nuff said?

Yeah God dammit!

I was born December of 1965, but I'd imagine things would be much like what has been described by Bob, Gary, Randy, and the Santa Cruz contingent. Ask a question, get a straight answer. Learn by doing, and respecting the advice given.

I was born December of 1965, but I'd imagine things would be much like what has been described by Bob, Gary, Randy, and the Santa Cruz contingent. Ask a question, get a straight answer. Learn by doing, and respecting the advice given.

You're just a young en! I've got 7 months on you! :laugh:

When was Al Gore born? :D

1965.... A good year unless you lived in Watts.

The anti war movement hadn't really cranked up but the Pill was in use. Hair was getting longer and some great rock and roll was evolving, many classic TV shows were airing (RIP Andy Griffith).

Kids were outside every day using their imaginations to build things, keep entertained and have fun. Bicycles were the preferred mode of transportation, I remember getting my first speedometer and seeing if I could peg the needle on the long downhill not far from our house.

Kids respected their elders and faced consequences if they did not. At my house the instrument was known as "the strap". Integration did not come to my school until 1966 and that was in the form of a female gym teacher.

I think folks reflect kindly on the slower pace of life and the real relationships that had with friends and neighbors.

YES

luck,greg

Jeez, I hate typing

I can remember my Dad back in the '50's telling me to NEVER buy firestone tires, they're junk

Moreover, don't EVER buy gas at a Standard (now Amoco)gas station, your car will never run right again.

I think the opinions change, the arguments are always going to be there..

The real fact is my latest Partner (f55?) and my (3) old Homelites are the best saws ever made - jus sayin'

luck,greg

1965.... A good year unless you lived in Watts.

The anti war movement hadn't really cranked up but the Pill was in use. Hair was getting longer and some great rock and roll was evolving, many classic TV shows were airing (RIP Andy Griffith).

Kids were outside every day using their imaginations to build things, keep entertained and have fun. Bicycles were the preferred mode of transportation, I remember getting my first speedometer and seeing if I could peg the needle on the long downhill not far from our house.

Kids respected their elders and faced consequences if they did not. At my house the instrument was known as "the strap". Integration did not come to my school until 1966 and that was in the form of a female gym teacher.

I think folks reflect kindly on the slower pace of life and the real relationships that had with friends and neighbors.

We did, and still do, need to improve socially. I have been to Watts and had the time to think back to 1965. I thought at the time that it was a black riot. Racial oppression was not a part of my upbringing so I saw those riots through the filter of ignorance. Hard to believe those riots started over a car stop.

Didn't he invent....you know....the internet?

I'm not a tree hugger... unless my surroundings are spinning, but

From my understanding, when Al, (I like to call him AL) was a senator, he voted on a bill to open the military "intranet" to the public - It became the "internet".

It's a stretch, I know, but I imagine his statements were taken out of context

luck,greg

I had to wear dresses to school. I lived in a cold climate. Even with leotards on, our legs got cold. I still had to wear pull over rubber snow boots and we played until we couldn't feel our feet anymore, then would go in to warm up. It was 4th grade. I learned to ski that winter. The ski boots were leather--the same practice of going till your feet were numb also applied on the ski hill. The skis had cable bindings and were wooden. They were the same length I ski on now. We had a new car--a Plymouth Valiant so I think my dad was working at that time. We got to ski if he was working in the winter.

We had one black and white TV and 3 channels. No remote either. We kids were the remote.

My Scandihoovian Cowboy uncle had what seemed to be a huge chunk of heavy yellow metal that was kept by his woodstove in the winter. He had no electricity, and only a kitchen sink with cold water for all the plumbing, so the woodstove was his only heat. Good heavens! I believe he burned Ponderosa Pine!

I had to wear dresses to school. I lived in a cold climate. Even with leotards on, our legs got cold. I still had to wear pull over rubber snow boots and we played until we couldn't feel our feet anymore, then would go in to warm up. It was 4th grade. I learned to ski that winter. The ski boots were leather--the same practice of going till your feet were numb also applied on the ski hill. The skis had cable bindings and were wooden. They were the same length I ski on now. We had a new car--a Plymouth Valiant so I think my dad was working at that time. We got to ski if he was working in the winter.

We had one black and white TV and 3 channels. No remote either. We kids were the remote.

My Scandihoovian Cowboy uncle had what seemed to be a huge chunk of heavy yellow metal that was kept by his woodstove in the winter. He had no electricity, and only a kitchen sink with cold water for all the plumbing, so the woodstove was his only heat. Good heavens! I believe he burned Ponderosa Pine!

Where did you live then?

1965? I'm sure all the firearm guys on the site would be complaining about how Winchester ruined one of their best rifles, the Model 94, with the crappy new model that cannot hold a candle to the pre-1964 ones.

Would we be eating pie? My guess is that Wendell would be...

009.jpg

I wonder if the talk would be how to get 4000 RPM out of an old Mall?

Oldchainsaws003.jpg

Or possibly that 3/8's inch chain has to be the worst idea ever...

Latest posts

Back