Ice Augers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not much info on here, and perhaps rightfully so. However, I will still ask.

Any ice fishermen on the board? Anyone running a power auger? Care to share pros and cons?

My FIL wants one. I gravitated to Husky, but notice they appear to not be available in the US.

Strikemaster brand has a SOLO engine, which I consider a good thing. Solo parts have been historically tough to come by.

Build quality, reliability and weight are 3 biggest factors for this purchase.

Chainsaw is not an option, please don't suggest.

Thanks for the help.

May I suggest finding out what these guys use?

One very interesting option that I'll need to investigate more is a propane powered auger.
I like the thought of not dealing with fuel mix when ice fishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-PRO-PROPANE-Powered-Auger/product-reviews/B00466MZKC

I've only used Jiffy 2 stroke augers, Dad had one when I was a kid, a friend has two that are same vintage.
Still run flawlessly after many years.
I haven't heard a newer 4 stroke run. May be an option also?

I had a Mora when I lived in the Wisconsin North woods.

8 inches of agony when the ice nears 3 feet.

I use a 6" Lazer now, Dat's all you need down here, (for now).

Thanks guys.

The propane Jiffy is hi-tech. I have read (interwebs, so take it for what it is worth) that Jiffy has some plastic guards/ parts that are susceptible to breaking due to cold brittleness. Also curious how the lpg does at -20 or colder?

The model that caught my eye is the Nils with Tanaka powerhead. Looks simple, though and light and USA made.

8" is what he has settled on.

Echo has one that is 42.7 cc and Stihl has one that is 30cc but with more gear reduction than the Echo. The Stihl also has the same factory hod rod engine of the fs250 just 10cc's less. The landscaping companies around here use the Stihls.

They are having issues with the propane augers and the cold. When it's not so cold( above say 10) degrees they run good. Just keep the tank warm. Everyone I know that has the strikemaster with the solo love it. I personally have the older strikemaster with the tecumseh. Been good to me

Also curious how the lpg does at -20 or colder?

.[/QUOTE]
fugetaboutit..less you have a way to kept he tank warm....up north,, they have heat blankets,, for the big house tanks,, when it gets toooo cold.........

I've got an older 2hp jiffy. It's a great unit, very light and decent power. Starts in the bitter cold too. It has a techomseh engine but I think they have gone out of business. The newer non propane jiffys have a Chinese engine that are junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use a strike master hand auger adapted to our stihl drill, if you already have the drill then it's a no brainier, but we just use a 6" and a foot of ice is a lot for us

Eskimo my friend, all the way! I have the Z51 Shark with the 8" auger, it cuts ice like a dream. Stay away from propane. If not for the sulfur clogging the diaphrams on the pressure controls, propane doesn't do well in the cold as has been posted. Besides, you already know gas, and these rigs are bomb-proof.

I would stay away from Jiffy if at all possible, the newer Chinese engines are actually a big improvement over the old junk.

The older Eskimo's with the TCII engines were by far the most reliable out of the ones I have seen, the new Eskimo are pretty much all Chinese but seem to be of good quality.

The Husky auger is an absolute joke slowest, weakest auger I have ever run.

The Strike Masters with the TCII engines are also pretty bullet proof however the synthetic handles don't hold up real well. Strike Master is now making a auger with the Honda GX35 engine which is a great combination.

Last year I needed to replace the 32 year old (YEA 32 YEAR OLD) Eskimo auger, and I opted for the NILLS hand auger 6". Before you dismiss a hand auger you really need to try a Nills, I fish pretty much every weekend starting in mid December through the end of March and figured there is no better auger out there than a Nills.

If you are regularly drilling through more than 14" I would say go with a gas powered auger, anything less its just as quick with a Nills hand auger.

To conclude: If money were no option 1. Nills hand auger 8" with powerhead option
2. Strikemaster with Honda
3. Stikemaster with Solo

If money were an option 1. Nills hand powered auger 6"

Thanks for all the feedback. I rode along today as he visited several stores and handled several different brands/models. Eskimos were heavy, seemed to be built tough, had a Viper (Chinese? ) engine. Controls seemed functional but crude, especially with thick gloves or mittens.

Strikemasters were much lighter. The Magnum with the Solo motor was a good fit for his price point. Controls were well thought for operating with gloves/mittens. Has a walbro carb that I can tune. Has a small trimmer sized starter pull - I have a D handle coming from eBay to replace it. Scored the auger for $350 and got a bunch of goodies free - couple rollls of line and 2 ice dippers.

Ice around here gets thick late in the season. His hand auger works, but wears him out. He's happy, and let's face it, aren't we all when we get a new toy/tool?

Thanks for the input. Feel free to continue the discussion as it will likely help others. I will report back later with some feedback on overall performance after he has some time on it.

$350 for a magnum with the solo is a great deal, good thinking with the d handle , this is the time of year in which I switch my chainsaws over to d handles as well. You did well!

Does Tanaka make one? What about an Earthquake post hole digger?
I have an earthquake for dirt and then my wife got an Ice auger for me to use. Compared to the dirt where even a small rock causes it to kick hard, drilling holes in a foot of ice is so much fun you'll be begging guys to drill some new holes for them to fish in. Every hole is a cast ya know!!

See if you can get the accessory cover for the end of your auger from the Eskimo dealer. The point of the auger will make decent dents in the sidewall of your truck if you don't have a cover for it.

I like to move fast and light.
A six inch Lazer hand auger a five gallon bucket a skimmer and a couple ice blue rods. (never leave home without the Vexilar)

The Vexilar is far more important than a power drill.

I see guys making Swiss cheese outta the ice while I sit at my hole and fill my bags.

Those dudes bite so light at times without a flasher you will miss 95% of them!

I like to move fast and light.
A six inch Lazer hand auger a five gallon bucket a skimmer and a couple ice blue rods. (never leave home without the Vexilar)

The Vexilar is far more important than a power drill.

I see guys making Swiss cheese outta the ice while I sit at my hole and fill my bags.

Those dudes bite so light at times without a flasher you will miss 95% of them!
do eggsplain more,,been years since fished. new innovations.........................

Oakey Dokie,

There are them days that the fish bite under the ice, although they seem to be far and between.

Seems more often they want it presented the way they want it.

After sitting there watching others pulling fish out of the hole and trying every noodling presentation I could think of.

I decided to stroll over and see what them dudes were doing different, shoot watching them flashers and the guy yanking them up I soon realized that a vexilar (or other) was outright cheating.

Many times the fish will just mouth the bait (you can see 'em down there on the flasher), you won't see a 'tick', but when you see the little green line (your jig) turn from thin green to fat red,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lift and more often than not you got him.

Other times you will see they won't take it at the bottom but prefer to chase the jig up just under the ice.

Or they may want it mid level, I sure have alot more fish frys now with my little 'cheating device'.

Try one me thinks you would like it?

Latest posts

Back