Ice Fishing holes with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutch3912

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Think cutting ice fishing holes with the chainsaw will cause damage to the saw? water in the sprocket bad?

haven't ever tried it - not too much ice fishing down under! But i couldn't imagine it would hurt the sprocket, if it were me id just pull the clutch cover off afterwards and dry it all out with some air and maybe a quick squirt of some wd40 etc

I cut snow covered wood quite often which would melt and get water inside the cluth cover and have never had a problem. I know there are a lot of people up north and in canada that use saws for ice fishing holes.

got a friend that does it ever new teays day in his pond so they can skinny dip, same saw for over 25 years now

They use them to cut holes in ponds up here for bs winter swimming/polar bear activities. No problems. Just dry it off when everything's said and done.

Use your winter kit if weather appropriate.

Not if you've got a Pull-on. Don't forget to keep your left hand fingers on the air cleaner cover !
Oh, and measure your shovel 1st. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawM3abYLyk

I really did not like what he did at 32 seconds and again at 233!. He could die an icy death saving himself the effort of walking around the hole. If it were me, the cut he took at 32 seconds should have been his first cut

Not if you've got a Pull-on. Don't forget to keep your left hand fingers on the air cleaner cover !
Oh, and measure your shovel 1st. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawM3abYLyk

I would never be on that ice. I scares the **** out of me anyway let along soft crappy stuff like that. It look more like slush I always thought the idea was to put a inward angle on the cut and push the block down and under the ice not freeze your fingers getting it out. I use to have to check ice thickness for the USCEC and it still spooked me when it was 14". I guess I am a pansy.

Bill

I would never be on that ice. I scares the **** out of me anyway let along soft crappy stuff like that. It look more like slush I always thought the idea was to put a inward angle on the cut and push the block down and under the ice not freeze your fingers getting it out. I use to have to check ice thickness for the USCEC and it still spooked me when it was 14". I guess I am a pansy.

Bill

The ice looked pretty thick to me, and so did the guy with the saw; why does he need a hole so big that someone (perhaps a kid ice-fishing with his dad) could fall into it?

but if you are looking for thick ice, look no farther than Nunavut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-k-cX7rTE

Last edited:
i work on river conservation and regularly have the guidebars in the water, not had any bother at all

Img_7492Trimmingbranches.jpg

just a good coating of wd40 afterwards when its home leave it somewhere to dry well, and bio bar oils so as not to pollute the water!

My uncle runs a Stihl 460 with a 36" bar in the ice when making holes for sturgeon spearing. The holes are usually around 20"x30" I think. I may be a little off on the size and I believe there are regulations, but I know they are big holes. The water they are cutting them in is less than 10ft and they wait for hours for a sturgeon to swim past the hole and then spear it and pull it up. Some fish can be in excess of 100lbs. Also in Northern WI (can't remember where off hand) They cut large blocks out of a lake to build an ice castle. They have been doing that for years and I believe they use a chainsaw. BTW you can walk on 2", drive an atv or snowmobile on 6", and a car or truck on 10". Although I wouldn't recommend it because obviously it doesn't all freeze evenly. One spot could be 10" the next could be 6" or 8". At 14" I would not be worried about a small vehicle on the ice and many I know wouldn't worry about their trucks. Ice has an amazingly sturdy composition if formed under the right conditions, but that is not always the case! Obviously better safe than sorry and I don't blame those that are leary about it. I have spent a lot of time on the ice in my life. You just need to understand your limitations and what to look for. There looked like a little slush in the vid, but with ice under snow like that it is common.

My uncle runs a Stihl 460 with a 36" bar in the ice when making holes for sturgeon spearing. The holes are usually around 20"x30" I think. I may be a little off on the size and I believe there are regulations, but I know they are big holes. The water they are cutting them in is less than 10ft and they wait for hours for a sturgeon to swim past the hole and then spear it and pull it up. Some fish can be in excess of 100lbs. Also in Northern WI (can't remember where off hand) They cut large blocks out of a lake to build an ice castle. They have been doing that for years and I believe they use a chainsaw. BTW you can walk on 2", drive an atv or snowmobile on 6", and a car or truck on 10". Although I wouldn't recommend it because obviously it doesn't all freeze evenly. One spot could be 10" the next could be 6" or 8". At 14" I would not be worried about a small vehicle on the ice and many I know wouldn't worry about their trucks. Ice has an amazingly sturdy composition if formed under the right conditions, but that is not always the case! Obviously better safe than sorry and I don't blame those that are leary about it. I have spent a lot of time on the ice in my life. You just need to understand your limitations and what to look for. There looked like a little slush in the vid, but with ice under snow like that it is common.

Yup.......Just tie a rope too the handle and dont use bar oil........Cut the hole and slide chunk thats cut under the ice and push it so it takes off sliding under ice.......Make sure you clean the saw good after your done so it doesnt rust or freeze ........:)

Yup.......Just tie a rope too the handle and dont use bar oil........Cut the hole and slide chunk thats cut under the ice and push it so it takes off sliding under ice.......Make sure you clean the saw good after your done so it doesnt rust or freeze ........:)

Are you still alive. Have not heard from you ????????????????????? I was afraid you drank yourself so full of Jack you went to the other side:msp_confused:

Are you still alive. Have not heard from you ????????????????????? I was afraid you drank yourself so full of Jack you went to the other side:msp_confused:

How many totties did you have tonight Bill?

That post from Ultra was from '09, carry on.

i work on river conservation and regularly have the guidebars in the water, not had any bother at all

Img_7492Trimmingbranches.jpg

just a good coating of wd40 afterwards when its home leave it somewhere to dry well, and bio bar oils so as not to pollute the water!

Better wear a wet suit, sitting on a bucket totally soaked on a slab of ice is not fun in my book.

If you are spearing Sturgeon that'a one thing.

If you need a hole to sink a teardrop;

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back