Ice Fishing holes with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall a couple years ago on here someone picked up a used 090 that had been used only to cut Sturgeon spearing holes since being bought new. Needless to say, it was pristine.

I recall a couple years ago on here someone picked up a used 090 that had been used only to cut Sturgeon spearing holes since being bought new. Needless to say, it was pristine.

I saw that one,

used to live on Hazel street, couple of blocks from Millers landing on Big Winnebago.

Never got into spearing but was in a shanty a few times, and sampled some smoked Sturgeon.

Didn't catch the ice fishing bug until we moved to the South shore of Lake Thompson, just outside Rhinelander.

Lovely country up there!

I would never be on that ice. I scares the **** out of me anyway let along soft crappy stuff like that. It look more like slush I always thought the idea was to put a inward angle on the cut and push the block down and under the ice not freeze your fingers getting it out. I use to have to check ice thickness for the USCEC and it still spooked me when it was 14". I guess I am a pansy.

Bill

Growing up in CT with the freeze-thaw cycle there all winter, by late Feb the ice on a pond would usually have melted back from the shore, so you had to jump onto it over water or a thin skim. However, if it got warm enough and then froze, the thick ice sometimes turned into what we called "candled ice", in that it broke apart with a kick into candle shaped pieces stacked vertically, even if the ice was 4 or 5 inches thick. End of ice fishing for the year.

I can remember ice-fishing at 15 with friends when the ice definitely wobbled with three of us on it with tip-ups -- this was on one of the ponds that was actually a wide deep spot in a stream (old gravel pit) with open water at each end where there was current :msp_ohmy:

Kids. I try not to think about what my son was up to at 15. He's made it to 20, so he must have picked up more sense.

Wasn't nothing to see a couple thousand cars parked on a frozen lake up Nodth der eh?

I had an old rusted out Barracuda I would set a couple tip-ups and jig the passenger floorboard (or lack thereof)

Never done it but thinking about it but hate to get bar lube in the lake.

I used dish detergent as lube when I cut the hole for the fire department a couple years ago, so they could do ice dive training. You get really wet so bring a change of clothes. It was -15f when I did it so the water froze instantly so I didn't get cold but it was really hard to walk with your pant leg frozen solid. My saw did look new the next day though after its shower:laugh:

The ice looked pretty thick to me, and so did the guy with the saw; why does he need a hole so big that someone (perhaps a kid ice-fishing with his dad) could fall into it?

but if you are looking for thick ice, look no farther than Nunavut

Ice Fishing in Nunavut - Funny! - YouTube

That ice looks safe, but ice fishing? I'll have Nunavut.

While fishing in a pike tournament on Lake Champlain last winter I brought my new to me XL-12 out on the ice. I thought I could make a live well in the ice a lot quicker with a saw than I could my Jiffy auger. NOT THE CASE. The bar would get warm from the rotating chain, ice would melt and freeze in the bar groove. After sitting idle for 20 sec in 5 degree weather.....she was froze solid. Sure did sound cool @ 5am echoing across the bay !! Nothing like the sound of an ice auger tho!

That ice looks safe, but ice fishing? I'll have Nunavut.

Har, Har,

The County plow Trucks make lanes on many lakes.

Summer time 1+ hours.

Winter 5 minutes, Ice road truckers?

Naw my old Unc lived North of Petoskey MI.

He knew every 2 track and what was on the other end.

Man the Pike Heads he had mounted on the Chicken coop would scare any little kid.

Think cutting ice fishing holes with the chainsaw will cause damage to the saw? water in the sprocket bad?
they cut large amounts of ice with chainsaws in saranac lake ny for the winter carnival every year building sculptures and an ice castle....alhttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Back