Ice Storm Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novice2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in Springfield, Mo and we are in a major ice storm starting Friday,12th, My question is...we have a 25ft globe willow that just leaned over and the root ball is out of the ground. Will we be able to save it and should we cover the exposed roots up until we can get it back in the ground?

For the man that likes Japanese Maples let it be know that all four of mine didn't have any damage, they are really looking good. We still have over an inch of ice on or I should say around the limb and we are suppose to get down to 18% and have some wind.

65% of Springfield was still our of power this morning.

Thanks Novice 2

If you can tip it back into its hole I would definetly do that. Than stake it. Either cover the roots or keep them moist till you can tip it back over. I know it gets said alot but if you could post any pictures I would like to see them just for the ice view.

yes cover the roots. Check the flare to ensure there are no girdlers before you try to right it. If you have big trees with broken branches, the attached is one way to deal with them.

Thanks that is what I thought I should do. Question what do I cover root ball with? Sorry I don't have a way to post pictures. I also have ten junipers,about 20 ft. tall, as a screen on the south and they bent all the way to the ground I can't tell if they are split because of so much ice. Three of the trees are also leaning to the east but not down like the willow. It sounds like a war zone here as the trees are cracking and crashing. We have a really large oak north of us that has lost about 1/4 of its branches. It just goes on and on. Should be some pic on National news.
Thanks
Novice 2

Latest posts

Back