ID this Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimfound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This place is the 1st stop I go for tree identification - you guys are good at this. Can you help ID this one? My buddy took these pics - its been dead standing for a couple years. Plan on going to cut her down next weekend.

What do you think this is? This is in Faquier co. Virginia. I have my own guess but will reserve it, wanna hear what you all think. Thanks all for input.

Last edited:
Hard to tell by the pic. Maybe Sugar Maple or Norway Maple.

Glenn

Last edited:
Hey guys, finally cut this one down. Turns out I think this is red oak - certainly smells like oak. I took a picture of some of the rounds - don't know if that will help id it any better. Plus the recent thread on tree identification had as the first entry red oak, and it looked pretty similar. This was dead standing so no leaves...

If its red oak you should see rays running across the end grain and flaking in the the grain when its split

Last edited:
This place is the 1st stop I go for tree identification - you guys are good at this. Can you help ID this one? My buddy took these pics - its been dead standing for a couple years. Plan on going to cut her down next weekend.

What do you think this is? This is in Faquier co. Virginia. I have my own guess but will reserve it, wanna hear what you all think. Thanks all for input.

I have almost zero experience from North American hardwoods...:cry:
Would like to learn some....In Sweden we have Elm, Ulmus Glabra, Maple, Acer Platanoides, Oak, Quercus Robur, Ash, Fraxinus Excelsior, Beech, Fagus Silvatica, Lime-tree, Tilia Cordata

Here in No Am there is dozens of just oak alone...:confused:

Gotta get a good field reference book and start learning...:dizzy:

Do you have a tree alive that is the same spieces? Or maybe there is some fallen stalks and limbs on the ground....I would like to try identify it from a detaild picture from limbs and winter or spring leaf-stalks......:confused:

BTW the swedish ash have flat leaf stalks with a black end....:)

It goes into the ash tree group. All else fails, it turns into ash from the stove...

Got BTU!

Ash huh? Ok, I am not going to argue with you guys...you're usually right. BTW here is a pick after I downed the tree. My buddy planted two flags on the ground and bet me $20 I couldn't fell it between them. Well, I did. It was an easy takedown though. By counting the rings I figure this tree was in its mid to late thirties....not a huge one, but a good start for this coming winter.

Ash would explain why it died so young also (ash borer). I saw some squiggly lines underneath the bark.

Thanks for the id help guys.

Ash huh? Ok, I am not going to argue with you guys...you're usually right. BTW here is a pick after I downed the tree. My buddy planted two flags on the ground and bet me $20 I couldn't fell it between them. Well, I did. It was an easy takedown though. By counting the rings I figure this tree was in its mid to late thirties....not a huge one, but a good start for this coming winter.

Ash would explain why it died so young also (ash borer). I saw some squiggly lines underneath the bark.

Thanks for the id help guys.

My guess, by lookin at the pics would have been an Ash also, but I wouldn't put money on it..LoL Last fall, I had a Forester out here and we walked and checked trees in our two woodlots. He didn't see any sign of the EAB yet. But is probably inevitable here in our neck of the woods. He said a the (EAB) borer makes a distinctive capital "D" shaped hole, as opposed to round, like most borers. Han't found one yet, so I can't really say.

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back