Ideal Mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just want to know what mix ratio you guys are running with a good synthetic oil.
I always do the traditional 50:1 but lately I'm running 36:1.
I really can't tell if my saw is running any better; however there is more oil slick coming out of the muffler.

Just my 2c worth, but of you have black crud coming out the muffler, imagine what its like in the port/cylinder? It will dry up and cause trouble. 50:1 with synthetic and you are safe. Just make sure your saw is tuned correctly and the fuel mix is fresh. Personally I go to 40:1 if the saw is working hard in big wood etc..
The exhaust should be clean..when the saw is revving hard the mix gets burned up better, just mucking round the back yard with branches 36:1 is to much oil. Just my opinion though..:)

40:1-50:1. I shoot for 40:1 but tend to add a little more fuel, so it may be a tad closer to 50:1.

While your at it, run down to Elbe and pickup some non-E premium. :msp_thumbup:

You did not mention what saw you were using.As to the oil on the muffler I would take this as a sign and not a favorable one.Your catalytic converter is not doing it's intended job.Better take it to a certified dealer and have it checked out.LOL Ken

40/1 Amsoil.

get a one gallon container,go to gas station put in one gallon of gas ,get i bottle of 2cycle oil made to mix with one gallon of gas,pour in gas container .use. thats my mix, you can do the math if you wish to figure out the ratio .

It depends on the saw and the application. For most cutting applications you're going to get the best performance with pump gas and a quality synthetic mixed 50:1. If you are running a modded saw with high compression, then you may need higher octane fuel and perhaps a tad more oil. If you're milling, operating in extreme high temps or using a longer bar than recomended for the for long cuts, some additional oil will be beneficial.

It's extremely uncommon to damage a saw due to insufficient lube assuming a quality synthetic at 50:1 It is extremely common to damage an engine due to insufficient fuel i.e. running lean, and if you have a carb with a limiter on it, running more oil than 50:1 will effectively lean out your saw.

Just want to know what mix ratio you guys are running with a good synthetic oil.
I always do the traditional 50:1 but lately I'm running 36:1.
I really can't tell if my saw is running any better; however there is more oil slick coming out of the muffler.

36:1 is a little much. I use 40:1 Husqvarna Low Smoke. It calls for 50:1, but I like to have more to have my piece of mind. A lot of guys use 45:1.

Any ratio of Amsoil that happens to be between 80-50:1, just depends on how much is still in the bottle when I get to the gas station.

I loose no sleep over exacting oil ratios.

Sam

Lol the manual states 16:1 on me trusty old 30" bar'd 4400 Poulan... It's Stihl or Husqvarna 50:1 dino oil on what all I own now - even the 4-stroke generator and lawn equipment. Raised on the marvel mystery oil philosophy. Haven't tried the synthetic yet, not sure my old stuff'd benefit from it?

It's extremely uncommon to damage a saw due to insufficient lube assuming a quality synthetic at 50:1 It is extremely common to damage an engine due to insufficient fuel i.e. running lean, and if you have a carb with a limiter on it, running more oil than 50:1 will effectively lean out your saw.

I unwittingly ran my saw at 100:1 for over a year(108 full cords) without damage. Thank you bad eyes! Once I put my glasses on and read the side of the oil jug and saw it was intended for 1 gallon instead of 2, I nearly pooped my pants! Took the saw in to the shop and all turned out just fine! Compression, rings, jug, etc.

So I am now VERY comfortable running at 50:1 Husky synthetic.

Ted

I unwittingly ran my saw at 100:1 for over a year(108 full cords) without damage. Thank you bad eyes! Once I put my glasses on and read the side of the oil jug and saw it was intended for 1 gallon instead of 2, I nearly pooped my pants! Took the saw in to the shop and all turned out just fine! Compression, rings, jug, etc.

So I am now VERY comfortable running at 50:1 Husky synthetic.

Ted

Exactly.

I ran Amsoil at 80:1 in modded 660, 441 and 361 logging over a 100F summer and when the saw builder checked the insides he said they looked great and due to the synthetic it was very clean inside and little to no carbon build up.

I quit giving a rats rear about oil ratios when a guy that has a tree trimming and landscaping business with tons of weedeaters, saws and blowers said he runs Amsoil at 100:1 in everything, that is his only mix and he makes large tanks of it, and he has crap poulans and old weedeaters that have lasted for over 13 years on this diet, with common employee's running the crap out of them. He goes through gallons and gallons of premix every week, never had a fuel/oil related problem.

One thing you will find in these oil threads is that ususally ............... usually its those that are a little more hobby prone to this chainsaw game, they are the ones that over think premix drama, and go into the sub 50:1 realm, and then they make special plends of this oil and that oil, and then claim that their saws will last longer when the fact of the matter is they won't put 1/100th of the hours on their saws as those getting decades of use out of 50:1.

Some talk about shear strength of the oil and when it burns and how it burns and whatever other such nonsense that requires million dollar instruments to even notice, and yet they can "feel" the difference. When the truth is you wouldn't notice the difference if you fast forwarded 15 years in a day.

There may be a couple legitimate exceptions to the 50:1 ratio, but overall its a hoax and people are just bored.

My Grandpa cleared 500 acres of his 1000 acres with a dozer and lotsa run time on a 40 year old Stihl that is now owned by my Uncle and still runs fine on dino oil.

I think in order of importance its 50:1, then run a synthetic oil (doesn't matter which one) over dino (but there are a lot of old saws that ran for 50 years on dino oil) and after that the level of importance to the issue cannot be seen or felt or noticed or shown without additional instruments that we will never own.

I run Amsoil at 50:1 usually, but sometimes it might be 78.65:1, at 50:1 if you run the saw, shut if off, pull the muffler there will literally be blue oil running down the side of the piston, I mean how much more oil does your saw need to operate? Not more than that. Pull the cylinder and look into the crankcase there is literally blue oil running out of bearings and everywhere. You don't need anymore oil, and I'm not selling Amoil this is probably true of any good synthetic oil.

Sam

Last edited:
Some of my older saws call for 40/1, and I'm not mixing 2 different kinds of gas. 1.25 gallons gas, 1/2 cup of oil.

I have my doubts any of us could get the ratios exactly where we think they are at anyhow -- there's error in filling the gas can, and error in pouring out the oil. I think it's best to assume that you're going to be in the ballpark. Just for fun, I ran some numbers to see what the ratio would be for some variations in gas pump / gas can / oil measurement accuracy. If shooting for 50:1, you can come up with a range of 44:1 to 55:1 with about 5% error in both oil and gas measurements. That's probably a worst case scenario. But I think you'd have to be darn precise to get exactly 50:1 and claim it's better/worse than 45:1, for instance.

I have my doubts any of us could get the ratios exactly where we think they are at anyhow -- there's error in filling the gas can, and error in pouring out the oil. I think it's best to assume that you're going to be in the ballpark. Just for fun, I ran some numbers to see what the ratio would be for some variations in gas pump / gas can / oil measurement accuracy. If shooting for 50:1, you can come up with a range of 44:1 to 55:1 with about 5% error in both oil and gas measurements. That's probably a worst case scenario. But I think you'd have to be darn precise to get exactly 50:1 and claim it's better/worse than 45:1, for instance.

Excellent, you should run some of my worst case scenerios, I bet that would make some eyes pop, LOL.

Sam

Back