Identify this fruit body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy,

Does anyone know what this fungus is called. I see it quite alot and most commonly on Prunus cerisafera, generally on poorly pruned stems about 3-6ft up from ground level. It is rusty/cinnamon in colour. Hard hoof shape top, pore surface underneath. Tubes are same colour as pore surface (rusty orange). Texture is tough/leathery. Exudes no liquid which cut. Fruits approx 4-5cm accross. Depth of approx 1-2cm at point of attachment.

Appreciate any help on this. I've pored over all my reading material but cant seem to find a match.

Images below are of fruit bodies found on recently removed Prunus cerisafera.

Cheers,

Sam.

View attachment 142526

View attachment 142527

View attachment 142528

View attachment 142529

View attachment 142530

Ganoderma are not hooflike in structure, but much flatter. The fungal fruiting bodies of Phellinus and Fomes are hoof-like.

Sam, there is a gentleman in the London area who is fantastic at identifying fungus. The U.K. arb talk, under Plant Health, is a super resource.

Sylvia

Looks like Phellinus spiculosis which is brown throughout and very leathery--can't rip it apart.
but it could be something else

Thanks all, for your ideas and advice. My instinct is to assume it as Phellinus of some variety too. It's leathery and stemless, the dimensions of fruit bodies match descriptions I've encountered, I also only see it on Prunus.

Not ready to close the book on specific epithet just yet. Although this image of Phellinus pomaceus
File:Phellinus.pomaceus2.-.lindsey.jpg
shares a few of the same characteristics as my guy. Sylvia, thanks for pointing me towards arbtalk.co.uk I'm getting hooked in right now.

Cheers,

Sam.

Last edited:
Phellnius pomaceus, according to one source, says it is not aggressively pathogenic but causes extensive decay to trees already stressed by other factors. So perhaps check cultural practices for your prunus sp to see what improvements can be made. Knowing at the same time that prunus sp are magnets to every known disease and insect out there and are notoriously bad compartmentalizers, so abiotic injuries can also be large contributors to decline.

Any way, have fun on the UK site as well as here. Monkey-D (Dave) is very, VERY good at identification of fungi.

Cheers ;)

Sylvia

Yeah, I'm not too worried about practicing on this poor old Prunus which ended up being dismantled, logged and will ultimately be keeping my tootsies nice and warm next Winter :blob2:

I really want to find out what it is to satisfy my curiosity, if nothing else.

It does appear mechanical damage was the culprit alright. It had been admittedly butchered back by the owner 7 odd years back. I cut 1" thick rounds to examine the pattern of decay at the site of the fruit bods.

Starting from above the fruit body you can see the extent of decay and what might have been likely to occur over coming years. The fruit in these snaps was about half way up the bole at around 5.5' high. From piecing together the rounds, it's easy enough to visualize the oval shaped pattern of decay, with the widest part at the site of attachment.

Latest posts

Back