Identify this tree please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to argue and I appreciate the responses, but I truly don’t think it’s ash. I have taken down at least 30 ash and this is different from my observations. The top did not break off. The bark is remaining on the tree as compared to the other ash I have taken down. There is no trails beneath the bark as the ash borer usually leaves. The wood is much heavier and seems harder to cut. The tree did not have a lot of smaller branches in the canopy like ash have, mostly large branches, and the old wounds healed over different than the other ash I’m used to. Maybe a different type of ash??

Not to argue and I appreciate the responses, but I truly don’t think it’s ash. I have taken down at least 30 ash and this is different from my observations. The top did not break off. The bark is remaining on the tree as compared to the other ash I have taken down. There is no trails beneath the bark as the ash borer usually leaves. The wood is much heavier and seems harder to cut. The tree did not have a lot of smaller branches in the canopy like ash have, mostly large branches, and the old wounds healed over different than the other ash I’m used to. Maybe a different type of ash??
It looks like root rot from wet ground . I've seen 1 woods flood out from plow furrows and saw a little of that. I've found a ash that had bark still, eab just found that one last

So, I stand corrected. Working on that monster tree and managed to pull some bark off where it broke hitting the ground. I did find the bug trails beneath the bark. This tree just seems so different to the usual ash I have been dealing with. Definitely root rot. Also had a massive ball at the base about 7 feet in diameter. The trunk is about 32 inches

So, I stand corrected. Working on that monster tree and managed to pull some bark off where it broke hitting the ground. I did find the bug trails beneath the bark. This tree just seems so different to the usual ash I have been dealing with. Definitely root rot. Also had a massive ball at the base about 7 feet in diameter. The trunk is about 32 inches
When EAB gets into ash top dies off first, roots too. Then tree is filled with widowmakers and tree topples when root structure is decayed. At that point trunk might still be sound for a few saw logs and firewood.

Woodstock, Ontario? I'm down in Amherstburg area; thats not a White Ash by way of the early limb removal, and its healing. Hardwood will heal itself. Remove a limb from a willow or sugar maple, and its that way for years. We are in the Carolinian Forest Belt. Could it be a Beech?

Yes. Just a little east of Woodstock Ontario. White Ash has been devastated in my area and many causes of power outages. Looking on line, I thought the bark resembled that of Beech as well! Maybe I will grab a known chunk of white ash bark and lay it on this tree and take a pic.

Ok. Pulled a chunk of bark off a dead known white Ash, and placed it over this unknown tree. Dead ash is on top.

15F06559-5A50-4167-B208-0754532ACEEB.jpeg

I found the heal over circle interesting. Here is a close up of the barks

Yes. Just a little east of Woodstock Ontario. White Ash has been devastated in my area and many causes of power outages. Looking on line, I thought the bark resembled that of Beech as well! Maybe I will grab a known chunk of white ash bark and lay it on this tree and take a pic.
Definitely not a Beech....A Beech is very smooth grey bark......looks like a Ash to me......says Acton Ontario.

Latest posts

Back