Identifying locust from poplar splits.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondshil

Reaction score
Help: I cut up some blown over trees,not on my property (no leaf I.D.) I believe some of the wood to be locust and some poplar. They both have yellowish tan green tint to them, when split and drying. I have a standing locust tree on my property and the bark is similar to both of the splits. The wood I cut up was from 2 different trees (different locations). The bark coming off of the splits is kind of stringy. Some of the bark is thin and some of the bark is thicker. Generaly the splits of 18 inches in length are substantially heavy compared with other splits I can identify (oak, ash) not lite like I would assume poplar to be.These have been seasoning for about 2 months now. I don't believe its a good idea to burn poplar but I don't know for sure. I appreciate the help, and hope this was descriptive. Any other questions needed to answer please ask. THANKS

Heart wood on the locust will have darker when split almost dark wood.

Nothing wrong with burning poplar, the locust will be more yellow and wood is much harder/heavier

Back