Identifying Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbody

Reaction score
I’m going to create a new thread, on identifying oaks in my area. Apparently there is approximately 10 different species of Oak where I live. And the only thing I know is: “yeah that’s an Oak”. I would like to be able to identify exactly what Oak it is that we are working on.

• Northern Red Oak - Quercus Rubra
  • Black Oak - Quercus Velutina
  • White Oak - Quercus Alba
  • Swamp White Oak - Quercus Bicolor
  • Burr Oak - Quercus Macrocarpa
  • Chinkapin Oak - Quercus Muehlenbergii
  • Pin Oak - Quercus Palustris
  • Bear Oak - Quercus Ilicifolia
  • Willow Oak - Quercus Phellos

Attachments

• 1D5E1E1E-9D32-4528-AE90-2ED5042368E9.jpeg
    1D5E1E1E-9D32-4528-AE90-2ED5042368E9.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 4
Frankly, it just comes with time and observations (perhaps observations guided by a good book or key). Knowing what to look for makes a big difference. Is the twig fuzzy ("pubescent" is the term) or smooth (glabrous). What is the shape of the buds? Are the leaves rounded or pointed? Details in the bark, etc....

Here is a field guide from the Forest Service: https://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/technology/pdfs/fieldguide.pdf Many of their publications are free. Reach out to the USFS and ask if you can get a printed version.

Never used it before, but here is a key for oaks:
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/tree-key/oak-key.htm

Really like the field guide.
Going to keep eyes on this topic thanks.

My wife and I downloaded an app called “PictureThis”. I can take pics of leaves, bark, etc and it seems to work fairly well.

The two maples we had in the front yard we thought they were the same kind. Come to find out one is a black maple and the other is a sugar. They look almost identical!

They look almost identical because its not clear whether black maple is actually a separate species from sugar maple or not. I think most consider it a subspecies of sugar. Some have proposed that its a hybrid between sugar and an extinct distinct black species. Most of the arguments seem based on leaf characteristics. I don't know if any genetic studies have been done.

As far as general tree ID goes, Peterson's Eastern (or Western) Trees is good. I can nearly always tell our oaks apart just from the bark and branching habits in winter without needing to look at the buds.

My wife and I downloaded an app called “PictureThis”. I can take pics of leaves, bark, etc and it seems to work fairly well.

The two maples we had in the front yard we thought they were the same kind. Come to find out one is a black maple and the other is a sugar. They look almost identical!
For apps, I like Seek - by iNaturalist

But you still have to verify what the apps tell you with further reading.

Yep. I've tried that out a few times. It works better than I expected.

after joining AS and actually starting to really read the threads, i was dismayed that folks could tell trees by bark alone...i couldn't even figure out if it was a softwood or hardwood! but PictureThis really helped me learn a lot about the trees in my lot and the plants in the understory. like you i was surprised to learn that my maples were different. but i was excited to learn about all the different oaks, sourwood (my neighbor kept calling it a stinkwood, darn yooper), and hickories, that grow in my yard. and now i know what the heck i am cutting down.

russ

There are some people that habitually identify trees by the buds alone.

Nope! I'm not one of them, but I have used textbook keys on tree ID that referenced the buds.
i try to use keys, but i was not good at "choose your own adventure" books when i was a kid, and I am even worse at picking the right options when following a key. the tree could be a tulip poplar and I end up with Norway Spruce by the end of the key.

Latest posts

Back