"Idiots With Chain Saws"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry sweetheart, the answer is 2506 lbs. That 400 lbs left over from your estimate will easily kill you if you get hit by it. This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, close doesn't count.

It's math, at a grade 6 level.
Oh, like the other 2090 lbs. won't kill you? :rolleyes:

I'm not being serious with my math here, although that first one was right on the money. ;)
I flunked algebra in the 8th grade and haven't learned it since.... haven't ever needed it in the past 45 years either. And doing quite well without it, thank you. :yes:
Although, there was a time when I was taking a required algebra class, for my college art degree, and I was struggling with it - then I was given a series of steroid shots for allergies over several months... the algebra suddenly made perfect sense to me!
But, alas, it came to an end when the doctor wouldn't give me anymore shots. :(

Uggh, that is stressful... resumes, interviews, etc...
What kind of work you looking for?

I'm a chemist so hopefully some work in that field (hopefully at the university I currently am working at). We've got a small lawn care business that'll get us through the fall- But it'll get tough after that: insurance etc. I've also looked at a posting for Caterpillar and a job with our city as an arborist (I need a CDL though). If not I might try going back to school for engineering next fall? It was just a kick in the shins and very stressful.

BR,

~TW

I'm a chemist so hopefully some work in that field (hopefully at the university I currently am working at). We've got a small lawn care business that'll get us through the fall- But it'll get tough after that: insurance etc. I've also looked at a posting for Caterpillar and a job with our city as an arborist (I need a CDL though). If not I might try going back to school for engineering next fall? It was just a kick in the shins and very stressful.

BR,

~TW

Go get that CDL & open a lot of opportunities while you figure what fits best.

Sorry sweetheart, the answer is 2506 lbs. That 400 lbs left over from your estimate will easily kill you if you get hit by it. This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, close doesn't count.

It's math, at a grade 6 level.
Okay, so I was going to ask if you are measuring to the crown of the tree, or just the trunk and if you are taking into consideration the taper of the tree, since a tree isn't an exact cylinder.
So, I googled and found this site: https://www.shodor.org/succeedhi/succeedhi/weightree/helpfinddiam.html
I was able to keep up to this point:
"First, we need to find your tree's diameter. It is hard to measure through the center of a tree. We can measure the tree's circumference. A tree's circumference becomes smaller the higher up you climb. We need to agree on a place to measure the circumference. Foresters stand next to the tree and measure at chest height."
So far, so good. :yes:
Not so fast, grasshopper, next step is: "Measure your tree's circumference. Use the formula Circumference = 2 * pi * radius to calculate the diameter"
WHAT???
Then I clicked on the "need help" tab which said this:
"To convert circumference to diameter, we need to remember the formula for circumference. Circumference (C) = 2 * pi * r. (r is the radius). Using the commutative property, C = pi*2*r. (2 * r is the diameter). Substituting diameter for 2*r, we have C = pi*diameter. Dividing both sides by pi, we have C/pi = diameter. To find the diameter, we divide the circumference by pi."
WHAT? WHAT?
I read it five times. Might as well be Chinese. :( It's like there are zero receptors in my brain for that kind of language. :confused:

Wrap a rope around it. Measure the rope, divide by 3.14 Simple
And that will give you the diameter?
That makes sense. :)
So, a tree 36" circumference, divided by 3.14, is 11.46" diameter?
Then you multiply the diameter by height, say, 15' then multiply that by the density, say 50, for a total weight of... 8595?
That can't be right.:(

And that will give you the diameter?
That makes sense. :)
So, a tree 36" circumference, divided by 3.14, is 11.46" diameter?
Then you multiply the diameter by height, say, 15' then multiply that by the density, say 50, for a total weight of... 8595?
That can't be right.:(
hahaha your log will weigh 500 to 750 just sayin :p

So, to calculate the weight of a tree:
1) determine the diameter. Divide the circumference by 3.14
2) convert inches to feet. Multiply diameter by height.
3) multiply total by density

36"/ 3.14 = 11.46
11.45/12 = 0.95
0.95 x 15 = 14.25
14.25 x 50 = 712.50
?? How far do you go with the decimal points?
The answer could be 716.56

Foresters measure diameter by using a special tape measure. The measurements are already multiplied by pi so you can read diameter right off the tape when you wrap it around the tree.

To get really technical, a tree is not a true taper and there are mensuration professors who have developed equations to accurately define the shape of the log of a tree. Simply stated, a tree (talking single stem conifers) are a form of a parabola. For ***** and giggles, I looked up the current government equation for determining the volume of a Coastal douglas fir.

V = (e^-9.988) x (dbh ^ 1.709) x (ht ^ 1.159)
v in cubic meters
e = natural logimetric
dbh - in centimetres
ht in meters.

You can take decimal points to the limit of significance. There is a point where the level of precision in the calculation is useless due to the lack of precision in taking the measurements.

Foresters measure diameter by using a special tape measure. The measurements are already multiplied by pi so you can read diameter right off the tape when you wrap it around the tree.

To get really technical, a tree is not a true taper and there are mensuration professors who have developed equations to accurately define the shape of the log of a tree. Simply stated, a tree (talking single stem conifers) are a form of a parabola. For ***** and giggles, I looked up the current government equation for determining the volume of a Coastal douglas fir.

V = (e^-9.988) x (dbh ^ 1.709) x (ht ^ 1.159)
v in cubic meters
e = natural logimetric
dbh - in centimetres
ht in meters.

You can take decimal points to the limit of significance. There is a point where the level of precision in the calculation is useless due to the lack of precision in taking the measurements.
:dizzy: I have no idea what that means. :laugh:

Back