IEL HM restoration finished (sort of)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEL

fight thread slacker
Reaction score
I have finally finished restoring one of my iel HMs. I just need to get the decals, and fix the fuel system again... The fuel line fell off inside the tank, and the sediment bowl seems to have an air lock, so it won't flow fuel with the bowl on. It will flow with the bowl off, but on it won't. This is what has lead me to suspect an air lock. Anyways, here are some pictures.

View attachment 282778View attachment 282779View attachment 282780View attachment 282781

Looks good!
Did you have any trouble with the reed valve? I had mistakenly called it the throttle shutter - wrong photo. Mine was corroded and I had to figure out a way to turn it around so it would seal.

Any trouble with the fuel pump check valves in the carb? What did you do for diaphragms?

Last edited:
very clean nice looking old saw.

I had to look it up though, this is a pioneer/ Industrial engineering limited. Was not familiar at all with that designation.. Whats the age and specs and story on that saw?

Stylish!:clap:

282781d1362454402-iel-hm-4-jpg

Actually everything inside the carb was in mint condition. The diaphragms were all just as flexible as new, not a speck of gunk anywhere inside. I didn't have to do anything to the carb. Not bad for a 1955 saw I got for free at a scrap yard (actually I got 2 there for free).

As for the story of this model, it was the first saw in the world to have direct drive and an all position carb. It was essentially the first modern chainsaw. It was only made in 1955.

For those who don't know, iel was the forerunner to pioneer. It began in 1942, when a group of men bought reed-prentice bc limited. They introduced the world's first one man chainsaw in 1944, the iel beaver. In 1951 they introduced the world's first direct drive chainsaw. In mid. 1956, outboard marine corporation purchased iel for $23.75 per share, and changed the name to pioneer. In 1958, they moved the plant from Vancouver bc to Peterborough Ontario.

As for videos, I am going to try and get it going today. I still have to sharpen the chain, and dress the bar. I will try to get a cutting video up on the weekend.

Actually everything inside the carb was in mint condition. The diaphragms were all just as flexible as new, not a speck of gunk anywhere inside. I didn't have to do anything to the carb. Not bad for a 1955 saw I got for free at a scrap yard (actually I got 2 there for free).
As for the story of this model, it was the first saw in the world to have direct drive and an all position carb. It was essentially the first modern chainsaw. It was only made in 1955.

For those who don't know, iel was the forerunner to pioneer. It began in 1942, when a group of men bought reed-prentice bc limited. They introduced the world's first one man chainsaw in 1944, the iel beaver. In 1951 they introduced the world's first direct drive chainsaw. In mid. 1956, outboard marine corporation purchased iel for $23.75 per share, and changed the name to pioneer. In 1958, they moved the plant from Vancouver bc to Peterborough Ontario.

As for videos, I am going to try and get it going today. I still have to sharpen the chain, and dress the bar. I will try to get a cutting video up on the weekend.

Very fortunate on the carb and the reed valve.

Looks Great! Wonderfull job! Does it have the tillotson HL carb? When i did the restoration on my 600 i went to fire it up and the same thing. no fuel being pulled into the bowl. turned out the metering needle in the carb stuck onto the seat took the housing off and freed the needle and hasen't done it sense.

Looks Great! Wonderfull job! Does it have the tillotson HL carb? When i did the restoration on my 600 i went to fire it up and the same thing. no fuel being pulled into the bowl. turned out the metering needle in the carb stuck onto the seat took the housing off and freed the needle and hasen't done it sense.

IIRC those all had the Tillotson HP.

I have to admit, that when I saw how clean the carb was, I just stuck it back together, and didnt check all the valves. I think I am going to pull it again, and go through the carb again. Also, how do you adjust these hp carbs? I cant find any adjustment screws anywhere, just a little valve on the side, that I thought was a shut off valve.

I didnt actually get to do anything to it today, I got busy with my new 034. I went to try its first cuts, and it ran horribly. Took me ages to get it set right... When I finally got it, there wasnt enough light to work on anything else. I really do have to get some lights in my shop...

I have to admit, that when I saw how clean the carb was, I just stuck it back together, and didnt check all the valves. I think I am going to pull it again, and go through the carb again. Also, how do you adjust these hp carbs? I cant find any adjustment screws anywhere, just a little valve on the side, that I thought was a shut off valve.

I didnt actually get to do anything to it today, I got busy with my new 034. I went to try its first cuts, and it ran horribly. Took me ages to get it set right... When I finally got it, there wasnt enough light to work on anything else. I really do have to get some lights in my shop...

Check this out on Acres' site:

Chain Saw Carburetor

The "shut off valve" thing is actually the main mixture adjustment. The screw with the spring under it way up at the top above the carb throat is the idle mixture adjustment.

Last edited:
HTML:
Check this out on Acres' site:

Chain Saw Carburetor

The "shut off valve" thing is actually the main mixture adjustment. The screw with the spring under it way up at the top above the carb throat is the idle mixture adjustment.

thanks, that will help a lot. I thought it was odd to have a shutoff on the tank and carb. I thought it might have been an adjustment, but doubted it because of it having a end like a shutoff valve. I didnt actually know acres had a carb section, I am sure I wil, use it a lot.

IIRC those all had the Tillotson HP.

Ever since going through mine, I've thought of the HP the "Rube Goldberg" of carbs. It's interesting that much of that stuff you see on the outside is on the inside of the HL.

There are two check valves screwed into the ports on the bottom where the two hoses connect. They are part of the fuel pump. The fuel inlet is one-way in and the other is fuel one-way out. Seems to me I was able to disassemble them for cleaning.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ever since going through mine, I've thought of the HP the "Rube Goldberg" of carbs. It's interesting that much of that stuff you see on the outside is on the inside of the HL.

There are two check valves screwed into the ports on the bottom where the two hoses connect. They are part of the fuel pump. The fuel inlet is one-way in and the other is fuel one-way out. Seems to me I was able to disassemble them for cleaning.

attachment.php

That looks like an artificial heart from 1890! I'm sure if you dig up some medical jurnals from the turn of the century it's in there!:msp_w00t:

You think that looks 'Rube Goldberg'?

The Tillotson HP is efficient and compact compared to the 'carburetor systems' in 3-25, 4-30, 47, 49, 73, 77, and 33/35/39 McCullochs from the same era...:hmm3grin2orange:

The Tillotson HP is efficient and compact compared to the 'carburetor systems' in 3-25, 4-30, 47, 49, 73, 77, and 33/35/39 McCullochs from the same era...:hmm3grin2orange:

Can't argue with you or Lee on that - except you can't see most of the "carb" on the 3-25, etc.
As I've said before, I'm fascinated with the engineering that went into these early models.

Back