If only they'd used 32, 40 or 50:1 mix in the first place ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilMcWoody

Recharging Battery
Reaction score
... Cmdr. Michael Atwell was removed Monday after an investigation into the Jan. 12 engineering casualty that has sidelined the forward-deployed ship ... the [USS] Fort Worth had been damaged during in-port engineering testing. In February, sources told Defense News that the ship would need six to 12 months in the yards to repair the combining gear that was "wrecked" when the ship's gears were run without lube oil.
The ship is in such poor shape that it may need to be heavy-lifted from Singapore to San Diego so it can be fixed during its scheduled overhaul there, according to the two Navy sources. More expensive options include fixing it in Singapore or Japan before sending back to a stateside shipyard. The repairs are expected to cost between $20 and $30 million, a defense official said.

"Several options for the repair are under review," said Pacific Fleet spokesman Lt. Cmdr. William Knight in a statement. "No decision has been made yet.
— Navy Times

This is not even a question of 32, 40 or 50:1 ... the ship was straight gassed.

Del @deaves61 is excellent on boat (*cough I mean ship*) engines, too, I reckon he could fix it in half the time :)

Many years ago, on an army exercise, the Mack tow truck stopped, smoke coming from the middle of it. This vehicle was the pride and joy of one driver, who was a bit arrogant about it. When he serviced the truck prior to exercise, forgot to put oil in the transfer case. $23,000 for a new one. Wiped the smile off his face.

I worked on A-7 Corsairs when I was in the Navy. I soldered in a rate switching gyro for the auto pilot one time. I had done many of them but this one I had it running the wrong direction. I had to listen to one unhappy pilot.:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back