If you could buy any skid steer which one would it be

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im open to any ideas...which brands and models specifically do you recommend?

I'm not trying to sell you on a t/l/b if you only want a skid steer but for 40000 I'd try to get the most for my money, if it suits your needs. look on ironplanet.com or equiptmenttraderonline.com for some ideas. I think lift capacity get up to 7-8000 and what better way to rid stumps than with a backhoe? I think most of these are all built pretty close to indentical.New Holland, John Deere, Cat, Terex. I don't have much time in any of them to answer what i believe to be better.

The only tractors(or should I say non skid steer/loader) I know that won't damage a sodded lawn that gets watered every day is a Swinger 2000 and a Bobcat A300.

I dont only want a skid steer. I dont care what it is except if it can attach a grapple and pick up big trunks weighing 2,000lbs and take them to my dump trucks without ruining my customers lawn.

Im spending an average of 2-4hrs a day in cleanup and loading. when the tree(s) or branches are down I want to be out of there in 1/3 the time my crew is spending now with a log cart or wheel barrow

If its the swinger i'm thinking of the old ones are like and articulating loader the size of a skidsteer. As far a the bobcat 300 with the pivoting wheels, if it is the least bit damp you'll leave ruts from the wheels alone because of the high ground psi. Even more pronounced when you have one wheel traveling in the rut of the first. That's why some are saying get the tracks. But the tracks still have to fight eack other to turn the machine,but not as much as wheels do. The bigger tires on a loader/backhoe would allow the the tires to float a little better, granted once you put the weight of load on the front axle you'll be seeing ruts with most anything in soft ground unless you run float tires or tracks.

Swinger has been advertising in the TCIA mags that it leaves less ground pressure when compared to a wheeled skid steer because of its wide floatation tires. They depict a skid steer severely rutting across a lawn in the ad and their loader not leaving an impression at all. I'll need to see it for myself to believe it.

I think I read its 14psi. Not bad since it can make sharper turns since it articulates. However, it may leave more indentations than say a tracked skid loader when running straight. This is what I need to find out.

The Swinger is around $40k new, lift capacity is 2,000lbs. I like that it requires less maintenance than a tracked machine.

the Bobcat A300 is 50k+. It is out of my price range. and I dont really care for its specs on paper anyhow.

The ASV RC60 lift capacity is 1,900lbs and is $37k. Really liking what i see in this machine, but havent tried one yet.

Swingers are the deal for Tree work. They have everything you are looking for.

But a skid steer is a widely versitale tool that mey help you make more money.

While tracked machines float, you cant turn without "shearing" off the grass in most cases. And they are expensive to take care of. One track is around $2500 to replace if you tear it or wear it out. A company I used to work for spent $9000 to rebuild the tracks after around 500 hours and that was just rollers and such, not tracks. Cat track machines are not all terrain. Many brands aren't. All it takes is some rocks to tear them up.

With your budget I would find a Bobcat A300. Tires are easy to replace. It turns. It picks up a great deal of weight. And has plenty of power for any attatchment.

I have a system I use to preserve grass.
1. Try not to go over the same area twice
2. make long sweeping turns
3. If I do have a tight yard to work in, I select one spot and do all of my turning there. Then only one area is damaged. It can usually be stiff raked.
4. Make the fewest trips possible
5. Full throttle is not necesary, 3/4 is plenty, The machine operates smoother,saves fuel, does less damage
6. If possible, drive straight in and back straight out

No matter what your buy though you have to be careful on grass.

Sure I have repeated some things said but I didnt read through everything

Last edited:
so I had to email them. waiting to hear back for one of their local dealers

ahahah if you dont get a reply email them back and say you are a huge operation looking to buy 10 machines, you'll have a reply the next morning

well now were in another whole ball park talkin about wheels loaders. check out the cat 904 or 906. theres tons of other brands that will please you over a swinger

BoBcat A300 hands down...................All Wheel steer, can load semi trailer, and very easy to operate.........

edit:Maybe outta yer budget think they are like 52k out the door but is the best machine out there.My old partner has two of them.They are ideal machine for many applications.

edit:Maybe outta yer budget think they are like 52k out the door but is the best machine out there.My old partner has two of them.They are ideal machine for many applications.

do you guys think buying one used with say under 500 hours is OK? This way I can stay under budget?

Buying used is always a strong option to consider. Do not buy a used machine without seeing it, and check it over very well. Possibly get a certified mechanic or dealer to look over it for you. Ask alot of questions too.

Make sure you're not buying some one else's problem.

Demo'd a Bobcat A300 today w/ 74" root grapple and turf tires. We did two large maple removals. Trunks about 5ft in diameter. Was picking up 10-12ft logs with ease and loading them into a 16ft dump trucks. I loved it. It was a back yard job with no truck access and I estimate saved us about 3hrs of time if we had to cart and cut the logs into small rounds.

I must say the thing is a BEAST!

I like everything about it other than the "turf freindliness" It wasnt so kind to certains areas that were very wet from the recent ground thaw and snow melt. Made ruts, but it was okay cause there was no grass in that area. The thick sod part of yard did well, but still left indentations that we lifted with a pitch fork. The sod part "passed my test".

A part of me says buy it and get some alturamats for wet areas and a part of me says if Im spending 50K on a machine it shouldnt need mats or damage any turf. The Bobcat 0% financing is very appealing....

I have it for one more day tomorrow. A a large oak removal on a steep hill.

After this the ASV guy is dying to drop off the RC60. I am very interested in seeing this machine with turf tracks. Our spider lift marketing involves "turf friendly" this may be a better match for us?

We shall see....

Comparing a bobcat 300 and a ASV 60 is like apples and oranges....try looking at a ASV 85 ,,,,,,thats a comparison.

Comparing a bobcat 300 and a ASV 60 is like apples and oranges....try looking at a ASV 85 ,,,,,,thats a comparison.
Long as I can lift between 2,000-3,000lb logs over the side of a dump truck and not damage my customer's lawn. Thats what my comparison is about, oh and price too.

the ASV 85 is too big and expensive for me. Im thinking the A300 may be too big as well.

My budget was at 40k and now Im willing to spend around 50k. + another 10k for trailer and attachments.

Neighborstree I will call you about that attachment you have.

ok, and if my grapple dont suite you. then my buddy who owns a shop rite down the street has a verry nice selection of attachments.. grapples. tree mowers. everything you could immagine. for really reasonable prices

the asv is a really nice machine i also like the gehil units should be able to pick up a real clean good running unit for a resonable price . id call a couple of dealers and demo them all/

Demo'd a Bobcat A300 today w/ 74" root grapple and turf tires. We did two large maple removals. Trunks about 5ft in diameter. Was picking up 10-12ft logs with ease and loading them into a 16ft dump trucks. I loved it. It was a back yard job with no truck access and I estimate saved us about 3hrs of time if we had to cart and cut the logs into small rounds.

We shall see....

What does your competition use? For what you are lifting, a few ruts is a small price to pay. Grass will grow back. A hand crew isn't going to do it and a crane may not be feasible so heavy equipment is necessary and a few ruts are a problem?
Larger bobcats are versatile especially the new higher flow machines. Lots you can do with them. None are turf friendly unless you go with a light machine.

Alturna maps are an option but that is a lot of work too.

What does your competition use? For what you are lifting, a few ruts is a small price to pay. Grass will grow back. A hand crew isn't going to do it and a crane may not be feasible so heavy equipment is necessary and a few ruts are a problem?
Larger bobcats are versatile especially the new higher flow machines. Lots you can do with them. None are turf friendly unless you go with a light machine.

Alturna maps are an option but that is a lot of work too.

My competition is using mostly manual labor and I have one competitor who loses customers because they have been screwing up their customers yard w/ a wheeled Bobcat with flotation tires. I always focus in providing a service not equal to, but better than my competition. High end clients see ruts and they have a heart attack. A lot of the people I work for are very particular for their lawn and pay a lot more for us because we dont screw up their property. I.e I dont pull my bucket truck on a nice lawn I use my spider lift instead. My marketing focuses on "turf freindly". Altura Mats are too tiresome to lay especially when its an acre away to the backyard for the trees.

I demo'd a few Bobcats and I dont care for them, track or wheeled. Demo'd a Swinger 2000 for 2 weeks, liked it very much but still not turf freindly enough for me on wet and the price and warranty couldnt hold a stick to the 2007 ASV RC50 Turf Edition. Of which is on its way from the factory to my dealer here in NJ. Just got a new 20ft Bri Mar trailer to haul it and one of our stump machines. Im hoping it arrives this week. Oh also waiting on a 63" grapple from Unlimted Fabrication. All 3 items should be popping up by the end of this week/early next. Can't wait!:rock:

Thanks to everyone who helped me in the decision process!

Last edited:
Back