If you had a choice - what size tree would you choose to cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The older I get the more I prefer cutting 10" to 20" max as well. Without wishing to stray too far off topic on this thread, does anyone feel the 562xp is overkill for 10 to 20" wood cutting?

If you are running a quality one saw plan, a 60 cc saw is pretty good. It will get the day to day job done, and in an emergency and you have to deal with a larger tree, you can still put a 24 on it and go to town.

As pointed out though, a good 50 will cut 10-20 inch wood as well, and be some lighter in the hands.

Now this is funny, the older I get, the more I want to run larger saws. yep, heavy, hard to handle sometimes, but I still want to. I gotz the bug. Plus, put the 80-90 down, and everything else feels like nothing.

Funny how we have different impressions as to how to answer this. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. If I was pickin' 'em, I'm right with MW in the first post. 8-12 is ideal. Quick to cut, easy to toss in the truck, easy to split.

But like everyone, I'll take 'em all. I get access to everything from tops to butt logs from a friend who is a logger. Can't get around the fact that moving big heavy rounds will require some additional steps. Busting them up with a maul or noodling for me to get them in the truck. There are other solutions to this like Spidey working it down to splits without moving them. (I ought to try that) I also like the small stuff, 2-6 inches for me means no splitting. Some folks don't bother with 2-3 inch wood, but it adds up and there are lots of people who are running low this year who wouldn't mind a face cord of that stuff right now.

Most of us are really into this wood gathering thing and we'll approach the job in front of us with a plan that works. We have a good roster of saws, tools, trucks or whatever. And have likely put more thought into it than the more casual firewood cutter. One way or another, we're bringin' it home!

20-24" dbh would be my preference. Each tree is about a cord of wood at that size. But, most of the time I cut what I get. Whatever needs thinned or taken due to damage or disease and the occasional scrounge tree. Small trees take more work IMO.

20-26" is ideal. Not too big and each round has a fair amount of splits in it. Those rounds fill the trailer fast.

Now this is funny, the older I get, the more I want to run larger saws.

:D it's a disease and I think I've been infected! Somebody please say YES we definitely need 562XP's even for smaller wood, so I can go out and buy one and then leave it on the table in the middle of the living room to gaze at from my recliner, after I come home with a full truck of fresh wood all cut with my trusty 13 year old 346xp :dizzy:

I enjoy the big stuff. Like many have already said, fewer branches, less movin around, etc.

In reality though 8" - 14" stuff will put a load in my leantoo faster due to not having to do any splitting. Takes a few if not several of these trees to make a truckload though.

I take it all. got big nuf splitter to break huge stuff,,and made a ramp out of a 2x10 to roll them up to the beam of the splitter..not much effort at all...and breaking the big ones,,adds up to a pile of splits fast...

Spidey I'm with ya except for the hassle of getting the huge rounds to the splitter.

I roll the splitter to the wood... using one hand. I (almost) never move the wood to the splitter.
I bust the real big ones by a shallow noodle-cut and a sledge-to-wedge whack.

I also own my own wood lots, home and deer camp. I started out on both places taking the dead and down stuff that wasn't punky, then it was the stuff that had hollows in them and ice storm damaged branches. Here at home I've been cutting every dead ash tree on my place and the neighbors who doesn't do fire wood. If I could just choose one size it would be 8 inches and 50 feet tall. that is one of my small trailer loads of wood from just the one tree.

:D Al

Large rounds. The split wood from them seems to be more dense and burns hotter and longer than the smaller trees and limbs. Lots of work moving them around. I have a hand truck on my trailer in the field and use the frontend loader on my tractor to unload and pile the reounds. 35 ton Husky splitter makes short work of any round I have put on it.

Hal

I am also curious how many of you, that seem to prefer the very large wood , are using OWB or wood furnaces. If so then these 30"+ diameter rounds, so many of you seem to prefer, are most likely 24"+ in length also. That is some serious weight to be lifting, moving around and processing, which usually requires some pretty serious equipment. So far it seems that most of the "big" wood lovers have such equipment, and that would seem to explain the preference for such large diameter wood. Perhaps this fondness for huge wood is only due to the fact that a lot of you "take what you can get", "when you can get it", as many have stated, and really have no choice. That is certainly understandable. I wish you all could have your own woodlot. Every one of you deserve it for all the hard work you put into keeping your families warm. You all are to be commended. Besides it's good for you, right? Up to 24 inches anyway! :D

I've been cutting on log landings and get the remnants left by the loggers. Large rounds are pretty easy to deal with as I can just roll them up the drop down gate on my 6 x 10' trailer. Real heavy rounds roll pretty easy. When I get home roll them off and split in either half or quarters with the splitter vertical. Once in manageable sized pieces, set the splitter horizontal.

The logs I cut I use a Mingo Marker with a 18" wheel. That way I can be pretty consistent in the size and makes it easier to stack.

Back