If you have about $5000, which splitter would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for build your own. I built mine and copied what I thought were the best features of most of the splitters listed in this thread. I have less than half of what an equivalent splitter would cost new.

Did you have to source all the materials or did you have some already laying around? Any extra machine work that you had to outsource?

Did you have to source all the materials or did you have some already laying around? Any extra machine work that you had to outsource?
I bought most of the steel from a yard that sells remnants and second hand pieces. I also scored a few deals on ebay. Most everything is NOS, new or takeoffs. All in I spent ~3500-4000.

No fancy machine work. I did it all with a few grinders, basic tools and a stick welder.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-splitter.277233/

I've eyed the TSC units... For everything they have going for them, they aren't quite what I am after.

I have a basketball court in the front of my house that doubles as my splitting area. I do this to keep the mess contained and easier to clean up. My woodpile is on the backside of the house. So I split into a trailer and haul it around to the back. Thats why I want the wedge on the end of the beam, so I can split into the trailer and only have to handle the splits to stack them.

You're probably still going to have to handle them to get a full trailer....to each his own. Which is why I gave my TSC splitter as an answer to the question "if you have about 5000 which splitter would you buy".....and I'd still have almost $4k left for other projects.

I bought most of the steel from a yard that sells remnants and second hand pieces. I also scored a few deals on ebay. Most everything is NOS, new or takeoffs. All in I spent ~3500-4000.

No fancy machine work. I did it all with a few grinders, basic tools and a stick welder.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-splitter.277233/

If you put the knife edge on your wedge with a grinder, you have inspired me to build it myself.

Sometimes I need to let go of my OCD and not not undertake a project because I don't have the fanciest tools. The last trailer I built literally touched the back wall and front door with only a couple feet on either side of it. But I got it done... There used to be a build thread here...

You're probably still going to have to handle them to get a full trailer....to each his own. Which is why I gave my TSC splitter as an answer to the question "if you have about 5000 which splitter would you buy".....and I'd still have almost $4k left for other projects.

The tw2 I was using would push up a nice pile before it started pushing itself backwards. That and not cramming the trailer full is timed about right to switch things up. I usually cut enough so that when I move to splitting, its just enough for a trailer load. Breaks things up and keeps things tidy.

Now... I totally dig your mindset... and who knows.... With all the issues we have going on right now, that may be the route I take since even a TSC splitter is more than I have right now.

If you put the knife edge on your wedge with a grinder, you have inspired me to build it myself.

Sometimes I need to let go of my OCD and not not undertake a project because I don't have the fanciest tools. The last trailer I built literally touched the back wall and front door with only a couple feet on either side of it. But I got it done... There used to be a build thread here...
Just a few hours of quality time with my grinder. :)

If I had to do it again I'd probably buy a wedge.
http://www.splitez.com/log-splitter-wedge.html

Yeah, I think buying the wedge would be a better use of time versus funds. The last splitter I built I bought the wedge from my local saw shop. I believe it came from Iron and Oak. Saved me alot of time but it was mounted on the ram.

I think most of those big box store splitters are all built very similar and all perform pretty much the same. You can get a few options on different brands, but nothing to bragg about. Building you own is the only way you can get everything you want without busting the budget. Myself, I dont like vertical. Those type splitters all have very small base plates when it comes to big wood, and then you are still twisting and turning the logs to make all the resplits. Horizonal with wedge on the end and pusher on the cyl means half splits falling off the beam and having to be picked back up for the finished split. Fixed 4way wedges are a big improvment, and eliminates a lot of respliting,but then you endup with odd size splits depending on the size of the round. An adjustable 4way wedge makes the size of splits more uniform but does add to the cost. One of the best things i ever did for my splliter, in my opinion, was add a boom and winch setup for lifting those big rounds. 0517151915.jpg
a friend found this boom in a trash pile and gave it to me. It was dirty, rusty and didnt work, but I cleaned it up, replaced the power cord and cable and mounted it on the splitter. The remote cord is 20ft long and allows me to just walk over to a large round, drop the log grabs over it and winch it to the splitter as I walk back. You can see the remote cord wrapped around the backhoe control valve joy sticks I found for $20 at the scrap yard. I use this valve to control the height of my 6way splitter wedge. As you can see, the wedge is 24inches tall when fully extended and a 12in log will just slide under the lower wing for a single split. You cnat find 24in tall wedges and lift booms on the big box store splitters, some things you just have to build yourself. And seeing this picture, my wife just reminded me I need to mow the grass.

10403541_720245358034848_1567045505422375704_n.jpg

Super Split!

Just look at the smile on this happy customer!

Why waste time with those nasty hydraulic things? Check out this: http://www.supersplit.com/videos_oper/index.html and watch the owner himself operate one and deal with all kinds of wood.
Once you go kinetic, you'll never go back.

I have an I&O with a removable 4 way - non adjustable and I love it. Spent $2300 on it almost 7 years ago and it's had about 700-800 cords put through it. I haven't run a machine with an adjustable 4 way but every video I see with one, I feel the operator spends too much time raising and lowering it just enough so you get 4 equal sized splits. When I run mine, if I'm going to have 2 bigger ones come out the bottom and 2 smaller ones come out the top, I just use my left hand and left thigh if needed to hold the front of the log up so it goes through evenly. No time wasted. I may wear out my pants or shorts on my left thigh after 50 cords or so but I can make a cord of small splits (4"-6") in about an hour and half to an hour and 45 minutes.

Building you own is the only way you can get everything you want without busting the budget.

I will have to disagree with this. Everyones needs are different and maybe for some, but my 'factory special' does everything I want & need for less than it would have cost me to buy the parts to build one.

What i bought for under $4K and it's on my "best purchase" list, is my Timber Wolf TW3HD...

It's 3 point mounted, FAST and super strong! It has no problem at all pushing everything right through it's 4-way wedge, and the 4-way is included in the price. So was the table grate and it's well worth having.

Even tough oak crotches are no match for the TW3HD,

standard.jpg

It's much stronger than the TW2 you used...

SR

What i bought for under $4K and it's on my "best purchase" list, is my Timber Wolf TW3HD...

It's 3 point mounted, FAST and super strong! It has no problem at all pushing everything right through it's 4-way wedge, and the 4-way is included in the price. So was the table grate and it's well worth having.

Even tough oak crotches are no match for the TW3HD,

standard.jpg

It's much stronger than the TW2 you used...

SR
I've only got a JD 670.

Building you own is the only way you can get everything you want without busting the budget.

I will have to disagree with this. Everyones needs are different and maybe for some, but my 'factory special' does everything I want & need for less than it would have cost me to buy the parts to build one.
I am not knocking your factory special or anybodies elses for that matter. There are certain things I like in a wood splitter that you dont find on the factory built machines unless you special order which cost money. Needs and Wants are to different things. My suggestion of adding a winch boom to the Ruggedmade one is just one example. I dont like log lifts, you know of anyone that offers a boom and winch standard? I have never seen one even offered, but I havent seen them all. I would also want it with the 28gpm 2 stage pump instead of the stock 22gpm and that upgrade would probably also mean a larger engine. I also like a extra tall, multi split wedge and I want it hydraulic height adjustable. Now I could buy the $3000 machine and make all the modifications I want for it but, it would no longer be a $3000 machine. You get what you pay for and if you want more you pay more. Some companies wont make the modifications I would want and if they do, its sure to cost more, and in this instance, I can build it cheaper than I can buy and make the modifications myself.

Now if your "Needs" are for a standard log splitter, and you dont have any non standard "Wants" then yes you can buy cheaper than you can build, unless you are willing to scrounge scrap yards and want to use used parts, and you dont count your time as part of the cost. As you said, its all depends on what your needs are. If someone needs cheap, learn to scrounge and fabricate, if They dont have the skills or the time to build it themself, then buying off the shelf might be the only way.

Latest posts

Back