If You Were A Skidder, Which One Would You Be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
My favourite skidder pic. almost looks like a painting. Into the green gold, just 60 miles north of Toronto.
Gypo

skidder.jpg

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
had to remember the original question to answer this post..

started out on a mountain logger H back in 73. you could here the screamin jimmy from about 2 miles away.

got on a timberjack 404 in 74 then on to a Franklin grapple skidder swinging and cold decking from small tower sides that didnt warrant a shovel.

them grapples would leave a good kink in your neck from driving backwards half the time. ( narrow roads, no turnaround).

The big treat was when getting to run the BIGGIE franklins. about a 40 ton rig with a swinging grapple that you could load a hiway truck with if you wanted to.

next job was the mountainlogger ML 200 grapple and cable skidder. V6 detroit and 4 sp allison. woo hoo. that was fun.

spent time on the JD 440's and also the Garrett 15..

both lightweight and agile but the garrett was by far my favorite..

I refer to the garrett as, "THE ANT" because it felt like it was able to pull more than twice its own weight and would traverse almost any terrain.

I remember crawling over rotten logs 3 or 4 foot high and wondering why I didnt get high centered.

so,, I would be the garrett tree farmer. model 10 or 15.

1960 garrett tree farmer
12-5mac008.jpg

I like that picture!
Gypo