I'm a Baby Killing Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I cut through a nest of baby magpies today. Not on purpose. Nest was in the rotted out core of a tree I felled and was bucking. Couldn't see it at all from the outside. I bucked right through the nest. Cut one in half, cut the wing off another. One lived to be coyote food.
I have shot nests full of them with a shotgun as pest control (they are HUGELY overpopulated here), and shot plenty with a .22 but I wasn't too proud of myself today.

Maybe a name change? Like Magpiechopper? Atleast when someone asks you what your name means, you can just send them a link to this thread. haha

See now, that's puzzling me. You shoot them, but are a bit embarrassed by chainsawing them? What's the diff? I'm not being a smart ass, just wondering what difference it makes which tool you use to control "pest" species.

Oh for god's sake! Please come to my house, the bastard magpies have set up shop in the Engleman Spruce in the backyard and woke me up at the azz crack of dawn today (Saturday). Pellet gun tomorrow or cut 'er down. Either way, they're toast - Sam

See now, that's puzzling me. You shoot them, but are a bit embarrassed by chainsawing them? What's the diff? I'm not being a smart ass, just wondering what difference it makes which tool you use to control "pest" species.

well, ya know.. there was screaming from the little buggers. And the blood spraying off the chain at 13500 was kinda disturbing. I watched em flop and twist and writhe around while slowly dying.

Now that I think of it, I also killed two ducks with my car this last couple of weeks. I hit one square on the windshield on the highway and it bought the farm. Then yesterday I smoked a duckling on the grid road. They usually move. This one just didn't. Hit something under the vehicle and I watched him roll in crumpled heap in the rear view. I didn't feel any guilt about these ducks though.

well, ya know.. there was screaming from the little buggers. And the blood spraying off the chain at 13500 was kinda disturbing. I watched em flop and twist and writhe around while slowly dying.

Now that I think of it, I also killed two ducks with my car this last couple of weeks. I hit one square on the windshield on the highway and it bought the farm. Then yesterday I smoked a duckling on the grid road. They usually move. This one just didn't. Hit something under the vehicle and I watched him roll in crumpled heap in the rear view. I didn't feel any guilt about these ducks though.

LOL Good gosh I can't remember when I hit something. I do agree cutting the birds would be painful to watch and listen to them. It would get to me too. But you gotta think $hit does happen.

I bet it was messy!

I chopped into a Den of Black Snakes one tie. I was young, maybe 15. man they slithered off in all directions. More than I could count. We were camping and I was cutting the dead tree up for firewood. I was felling the tree when one jumped out almost on top of me. Scared the :censored: outta me. I'd say they were about 10-15 in all.

Never seen snakes den together like that. All looked to be adult snakes. Only found one that was cut. Whacked his head off. I remember it was early in the afternoon and when night came we built the fire and someone threw that headless snake on the fire and the snake jumped off that fire fast! Sucker was still alive after like 6 hours without a head I guess.

well, ya know.. there was screaming from the little buggers. And the blood spraying off the chain at 13500 was kinda disturbing. I watched em flop and twist and writhe around while slowly dying................

You may not want to not go into detail

I assume they are pests like Sparrows and Pigeons but this is the kind of post that gives ammunition to PETA. The Peta folks need no help:censored:

Bill

Magpies

When I was younger, A farmer walked up to me and pleaded that I don't shoot the wildlife. I told him the gun in my hand was only for magpies, to which he replied - Forget what I just said, get as many as you can. I though I was going to be kicked off his land, and instead I received praise.

You may not want to not go into detail

I assume they are pests like Sparrows and Pigeons but this is the kind of post that gives ammunition to PETA. The Peta folks need no help:censored:

Bill

I live in a very rural area. Nothing but farmland and wildlife. The Government paid a bounty on coyotes this last year thats how many of them there are. We have some of the best hunting in North America. And yes, Magpies are pests. The usual thing to do is blast the nests with a shotgun in spring to wipe out the chicks. Magpies kill other birds and are noisy nuisances. Farmers hate them.

If some of those topless PETA girls want to come here I'll just feed em some homemade bacon from the local butcher shop and they'll swear off veggies forever ;)

I bet it was messy!

I chopped into a Den of Black Snakes one tie. I was young, maybe 15. man they slithered off in all directions. More than I could count. We were camping and I was cutting the dead tree up for firewood. I was felling the tree when one jumped out almost on top of me. Scared the :censored: outta me. I'd say they were about 10-15 in all.

Never seen snakes den together like that. All looked to be adult snakes. Only found one that was cut. Whacked his head off. I remember it was early in the afternoon and when night came we built the fire and someone threw that headless snake on the fire and the snake jumped off that fire fast! Sucker was still alive after like 6 hours without a head I guess.

Funny you talk about headless snakes! Was at my buddies the other day bucking some small brush by the lake he lives on and a good sized water moccasin jumped on us from under his old Jon-boat. One of the bigger one's I've seen up my way too. I gave it a good chop with the shovel and took it's head off. An hour later the bodies muscles were still twitching. I think I should have made a snakes-head neck less for my girlfriend........:biggrinbounce2:

I don't know, I think it's pretty clear. Shooting them is done on purpose and is quick. Sawing them in half is an accident. Even though the result is the same. the motivation wasn't. I think hunting is great but when I ran over a family of Canada Geese on the highway, I felt bad.

Back