I'm a lucky dog!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to pick up my little Chomper the other day, it had been sitting at a buddy's firewood lot for the last several months. I was just going to fire it up to hook it to the pickup, so I neglected to check the oil. :bang: It fired right up, idled for a few minutes and quit. It wasn't completely locked up, but wouldn't turn over (It would just kinda rock about 1/8 of a turn). I used a high lift jack to hook it up and towed it home to look it over a little better.
At home I removed the hydraulic pump from the engine (just in case), and it still didn't want to turn over. Then it dawned on me to check the oil.
Well, long story short. The fuel shut off valve had been left open, and I drained 2 1/2 gallons of gas out of the crank case. Refilled with oil, turned it over real easy like with a pipe wrench, and she fired right up. I ran it at idle for about 5 minutes then changed the oil & filter. She's running great now, and I'm a lucky dog!

Lesson re-learned: Always, always, always check the oil before starting your engine's.

Andy

I'd change it again soon just to be sure all the fuel is out. Gas breaks down oil pretty good, I'd rather have a little water in my oil than a little fuel...

Yeah, I'm planning on running it under a little load for 30 minutes or so, and changing it again. It only holds about 2 1/2 quarts, cheap insurance, and I don't want to push my luck any farther. :)

Andy

If it holds 2 1/2 qrts of oil how did it have 2 1/2 gal of gas in it?

That is one option on the commercial Hondas I could do without. I've only accomplished that same feat once and that was with a rental unit.
It could have been costly.

Now that I own my own splitter, I check the oil every time I use it.

If it holds 2 1/2 qrts of oil how did it have 2 1/2 gal of gas in it?

I figure it was full up to the top of the jugs. If I had pulled one of the spark plugs it probably would have been a geizer. It's a 35 horse Briggs, pretty big crank case. But the manual & the dip stick only call for 2 1/2 quarts.
I lost a fuel pump on a Powerstroke diesel once that filled the crank case with diesel. The Powerstroke holds 14 quarts of oil, but I bet there was 10 gallons of diesel in it.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarifiction, did not know it was that large of an engine. Would have been a big ouch to fix that size engine.

I figure it was full up to the top of the jugs. . If I had pulled one of the spark plugs it probably would have been a geizerIt's a 35 horse Briggs, pretty big crank case. But the manual & the dip stick only call for 2 1/2 quarts.
I lost a fuel pump on a Powerstroke diesel once that filled the crank case with diesel. The Powerstroke holds 14 quarts of oil, but I bet there was 10 gallons of diesel in it.

Andy

Had a customer spend a bunch of time in the burn unit at Westchester Medical Center from doing that, only thing was he pulled the plug, inserted the plug back into the end of the wire and then ground it to the motor, to check for spark....when the fuel came out the spark plug hole it soaked/drenched him and the spark ignited the fuel/oil mixture and because the oil was in it, it wouldn't go out, thank the good lord his brother was there and they had a huge heavy rubber mat that they used to cover the splitter with...
I got the splitter in for repair and was trying to figure out what happened (someone dropped it off and didn't know the story, just that it had been on fire) and pulled the cord (without a spark plug in the wire this time) and fuel came out and went at least 10 feet...it was UNREAL...so I completely understand how you could get that much fuel in there...

Had a customer spend a bunch of time in the burn unit at Westchester Medical Center from doing that, only thing was he pulled the plug, inserted the plug back into the end of the wire and then ground it to the motor, to check for spark....when the fuel came out the spark plug hole it soaked/drenched him and the spark ignited the fuel/oil mixture and because the oil was in it, it wouldn't go out, thank the good lord his brother was there and they had a huge heavy rubber mat that they used to cover the splitter with...
I got the splitter in for repair and was trying to figure out what happened (someone dropped it off and didn't know the story, just that it had been on fire) and pulled the cord (without a spark plug in the wire this time) and fuel came out and went at least 10 feet...it was UNREAL...so I completely understand how you could get that much fuel in there...

Man, that sux! I can see how it could happen though.
I made a sticker with my label maker and put it by the key that say's; Turn off the fuel........Dummy.

Andy

You might want to tear your carb down as that problem usually indicates a stuck float in which case it will repeat, and/or a bad needle valve assembly.

You might want to tear your carb down as that problem usually indicates a stuck float in which case it will repeat, and/or a bad needle valve assembly.

I was kinda thinking that might be the case. It was doing fine when I parked it, I guess crap just goes wrong sometimes.

Andy

Latest posts

Back