I'm No Axman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Stanton

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Decided to undertake a new project. I plan to build a fire pit, so I needed to cut down 5 small trees. Well, I hung up two. However, me and my trusty 361 prevailed. Alls well that ends well.

my brother in law built a fire pit. it's so big you can land a helicopter on it

i'm guessing he invested 5 grand to have that thing built.

glad ya got them down without an incident.

Smaller trees, no objects to hit .... good practice site!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you and don't worry too much about the hang-ups in this case. All it means is that you are that much closer to being proficient at it.

btw, where are the pics of the finished fire pit? :D

here's my lil slice of life...

DSC02019-1.jpg

and yes, I built it all myself! Well I didn't do the shell of the house or the siding, roofing, spouting etc, but all the rest!

sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Looks nice. At the local masonary supply house they sell prefab fire pits that you can cook on with a grill. The cost is $500 for only 4 courses of block. I figure that I can scape up enough stones around here to make it. First place I goin to look is in the garden. Always finding stones there when I rotatill.

Lucky for me I've got an endless supply of mountain stone. You can see some of the walls that I built, all at no expense other than sweat!(and Beer)

Decided to undertake a new project. I plan to build a fire pit, so I needed to cut down 5 small trees. Well, I hung up two. However, me and my trusty 361 prevailed. Alls well that ends well.

small friendly suggestion for next time. take care of the first hanger before you try and take down the next tree. If they are dependent on one another, then it could get dangerous quick...

sometimes you have to use another tree to take down the hanger though. ive seen loggers do it from time to time. its not recommend though because it has potential to shoot the second tree back like a slingshot. and you dont want that!:dizzy:
another way you can get the tree down is to cut it off the stump get a pulp hook and pick the end up if its small enough and move it a little at a time. then you also have the option of spinning out of a snag with a cant dog also. done that on small red pines that like to hang up too.

sometimes you have to use another tree to take down the hanger though. ive seen loggers do it from time to time. its not recommend though because it has potential to shoot the second tree back like a slingshot. and you dont want that!:dizzy:
another way you can get the tree down is to cut it off the stump get a pulp hook and pick the end up if its small enough and move it a little at a time. then you also have the option of spinning out of a snag with a cant dog also. done that on small red pines that like to hang up too.

yes, I have done it before too, but I would cringe having a situation like the OP who had two hangers left up there. Good thing they were small trees. If that happened to me, I think I might consider throwing a stick of dynamite at it from a good distance and let it sort itself out!!!

Back