I'm not a climber. What went wrong in that video??(the one we've seen several times.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53trb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I don't climb trees and after watching this I now know why...

What went wrong... I see that the top is tied off to the tree, why?? did something get hung up or did he forget something, or did he cut in the wrong spot?
Not important, just wondering what happened if anyone can tell from this quick vid.

Sorry, First video attachment was wrong one, when I tried to attach the correct file it was to big...

Video is of a guy topping a tree, looks like the top is tied off and then he almost falls out of the tree as the swinging top swings back and forth with out touching the ground...

Was any of this done on purpose? It looks like the top was tied off on purpose, there looks to be a pully and a rope tied on, was there just not enough slack to let the top get to the ground??

Anyone else ever see this video?

Last edited:
If it's the vid. i think your talking about, there was a post on it here within the last week. I think the general concensous was that the ground guy screwed up and left to much slack on the line, there fore leaving the climber to hold on for dear life and having to change his undies once he got down.

if It is the one were the tree was like a sling shot? then it is because the tree was also way to thin and flexi to tie it off.

Drop crotching is pruning a limb back to a lateral limb. it has nothing to do with pulleys or roping tops.

Last edited:
The falling top was suddenly stopped, presumably by an out-of-sight groundman, and the sudden stop loaded up the stem that the climber was on with all the kinetic energy of the falling top (force=mass x acceleration). That caused the sling shot.

There needed to be less slack in the rigging so that the piece wouldn't free fall very far and then the groundman needed to let the piece run a bit once the slack in the rigging was gone and then progressively slow the piece down as it approached the ground.

rmihalek
That looks like what happened...

So if I have this eqution correct:
A falling top * sudden stopped, (presumably by an out-of-sight groundman), / the loaded stem that the climber was on. = Ground crew A$$ beaten!!

Now I understand the importance of a good ground crew, not just some clown working for Min wage.

I thought it was a little different but, the top was supposed to be roped off, it just was not supposed to fall as far before the breaks were put on.
I can only equate this to rock climbing, if someone falls you are to slow then down as quick a possible with the least amount of fall distance, not let them fall 25 feet and then stop them instantly!!
Now I get it.

Thank you all that posted.

Never underestimate a good grip?!?!

rmihalek
That looks like what happened...

So if I have this eqution correct:
A falling top * sudden stopped, (presumably by an out-of-sight groundman), / the loaded stem that the climber was on. = Ground crew A$$ beaten!!

Now I understand the importance of a good ground crew, not just some clown working for Min wage.

I thought it was a little different but, the top was supposed to be roped off, it just was not supposed to fall as far before the breaks were put on.
I can only equate this to rock climbing, if someone falls you are to slow then down as quick a possible with the least amount of fall distance, not let them fall 25 feet and then stop them instantly!!
Now I get it.

Thank you all that posted.

Never underestimate a good grip?!?!

Its kinda like a dynamic belay in rock climbing the only big difference is in tree work the falling top is usually alot heavier than most humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back