I'm not sharing!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have any problem with how your handling it, maybe tell him to deliver and stack the green wood and you will give him like quality/quanity of dry wood. Thant way you know the outcome and if he was really motivated he would get out there and cut/split it.

Please don't take this as an attack, cause its not. Just out of curiosity, why 10 years worth? I have dealt with hoarders(not saying that you necessarily are one) , and their ideas typically are based in reality but the results typically are not.

I understand 2 or 3 years, but more than that you are going to have a significant amount of rot if stacked outside, if inside you are either losing a significant opportunity cost due to the space taken up or paying to build/store that much wood. Then having a significant amount of wood stacked in a building causes issues with pest, both bugs that can attack a structure and mice building nest and urinating/crapping everywhere. Also mentioned was the cord in the basement. It is highly discouraged to bring more than 3 or 4 days worth of wood either in or against your home due to the wood warming and the larvae, or hibernating bugs coming out and attacking the wood frame in your home.

Also mentioned was the cord in the basement. It is highly discouraged to bring more than 3 or 4 days worth of wood either in or against your home due to the wood warming and the larvae, or hibernating bugs coming out and attacking the wood frame in your home.

I have brought my entire winters wood inside my basement, in the fall, for 18 years now. Parents place, been doing that for 50+ years. Everyone I know around here who burns wood inside does the same thing, and has been doing it for years. I have had no issues you speak of, nor have ever heard of anyone else here having any issues - at all. Insurance companies don't seem to care either.

You guys must have different bugs than we do.

My best friend was helping me scrounge up some extra before the snow came last week. He asked if I wanted to go in with another friend of his...an acquaintance for me, and cut some up where I've been cutting. I reminded him that I cut for every house in my family and even though the help would increase production I just can't see the hassle of bringing in someone who might want to do it their way. When i help him we do it his way, and vice versa when he helps me. Another hand in the mix and I have no need of it.......and I don't trust him with my saws. I enjoy the work and helping my family and friends, but have to cut it off somewhere when my wood supplies are being shared. I have never sold any wood that I have cut because the access I have to the private 140+ acres is free and selling something I have been given out of kindness just don't seem right.

Shea

I don't enable wood laziness.

Unfortunately some people do take advantage of other people's generosity. His intentions may be honorable. Have him sign an agreement to swap green for dry. If he doesn't come through, then you have legal recourse to fall back on. He did pay for the first wood, so perhaps he really is a man of his word and was just ill prepared like the other thousands of people that ran out of wood this year. I always try to take a man at his word if I can, until he proves different. A signed agreement is binding in any court of law. JMO

I'm only hearing words about sharing, certainly not seeing examples. Sharing is not one-way, like some of these parasites seem to think. They're talking extraction, from you.
Doesn't take an economist to point out that dry oak is a couple of orders of magnitude more valuable than stumpage or maybe, pie-in-the-sky, If-I-get-around-to-it, stumpage. Only a masochist would go for that, or an idiot. Either way, you've marked yourself.
Once the charity, feeling-sorry bit expires, your parasite should be getting up on his own legs. Not prepping another scam.
You have every right to deny access to the results of your labors.

Latest posts

Back