im real glad i need new chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of chaps did you have? I only ask because I have Forester chaps due to budget, but have to be better than nothing at all. Never really seen anyone do a chaps rating as far as functionality, I know I wouldn't volunteer my legs to just to see which ones work and which don't.

I think everyone should wear them.

Thing is, I haven’t wore a set in more then 30 years and don’t see a need now.
When cutting, I always have space for the bar to fall/jerk when I cut.
I have no problem with turning the saw off to evaluate any cut, or walk around a tree for good footing.

Having said that, keep wearing your chaps, your safety depends on it.

:rock:

I think everyone should wear them.

Thing is, I haven’t wore a set in more then 30 years and don’t see a need now.
When cutting, I always have space for the bar to fall/jerk when I cut.
I have no problem with turning the saw off to evaluate any cut, or walk around a tree for good footing.

Having said that, keep wearing your chaps, your safety depends on it.

:rock:
I know you have some wood around some where, so go find a piece and knock on it.

The advice to always keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you are not cutting is very good advice to keep in mind. I had a near miss about 4 years ago that scared the **** out of me and prompted me to buy a pair of chaps and wear them.
I bought a semi load of 8' logs for firewood and was cutting them up, I had been working most of the day and was tired. A wood chip got between my safety glasses and my cheek, so I set the tip of my bar on a log about waist high, let go of the saw with my left hand to wipe the chip off my face, a log in the pile shifted along with the log my bar tip was on, your natural reaction is to grip the saw, the bar went by my right knee with the saw at wide open and missed my knee by about 2 inches. The weird thing is it didn't really sink in and scare me as much at the time, it was about an hour after I was done I started thinking about it more it really shook me up.

Glad to hear your OK.

Although I have been doing my firewood for the last 25 years, I just got wiser:msp_sneaky: this years and purchased an Elvex full wrap chap. It something that we all wish we never use but I will wear it 100% as soon as I fire the chainsaw for the fall run.

I’ll share one of my cutting tricks for safety,

Become familiar with the chain brake, I most likley use it too much.
If I trip, sumble, or if the tree moves I use the brake.
Sometimes I just use it to make sure it still works. Other times my hand just wants to push the brake. If I had a 3rd hand it would be on the brake.

When I start the saw the brake is on, when I stop the saw I set the brake.
When I walk to cut I have the brake on.

I’ll share one of my cutting tricks for safety,

Become familiar with the chain brake, I most likley use it too much.
If I trip, sumble, or if the tree moves I use the brake.
Sometimes I just use it to make sure it still works. Other times my hand just wants to push the brake. If I had a 3rd hand it would be on the brake.

When I start the saw the brake is on, when I stop the saw I set the brake.
When I walk to cut I have the brake on.

What about us with old saws and no brakes?

Just to add to this, I've found that all saws are not equal when it comes to the brake. Most saws I've used it takes a pretty good kick back to set it off but on my makita the slightest sign of kick back and the brake comes on instantaneously. Which is a good thing on a saw with this much power, and might be one of the reasons why home depot uses them in their rental centers.

x 2 on the brake when I complete a cut my left wrist automatically goes foward to set the break and then I move/walk to the next cut. It does not long to get in that habit. But that being said PPE is still needed.

i was going to give you a rep for wearing chaps, but then i saw there weren't any pictures of them, so i couldn't.

The advice to always keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you are not cutting is very good advice to keep in mind. I had a near miss about 4 years ago that scared the **** out of me and prompted me to buy a pair of chaps and wear them.
I bought a semi load of 8' logs for firewood and was cutting them up, I had been working most of the day and was tired. A wood chip got between my safety glasses and my cheek, so I set the tip of my bar on a log about waist high, let go of the saw with my left hand to wipe the chip off my face, a log in the pile shifted along with the log my bar tip was on, your natural reaction is to grip the saw, the bar went by my right knee with the saw at wide open and missed my knee by about 2 inches. The weird thing is it didn't really sink in and scare me as much at the time, it was about an hour after I was done I started thinking about it more it really shook me up.

You experienced first hand(pun intended) a Sympathetic Muscle Reaction. The technical explanation here arose from investigation of involuntary firearm discharges by police. Oddly enough, many of these reactions are also result of noise or light, not just a loss of balance:

"The term sympathetic contraction refers to the fact that an involuntary contraction may occur in the muscles of one limb when the same muscles in the other limb are performing an intended forceful action. In physiology literature this effect is known as a mirror movement, with the intensity of the sympathetic contraction depending on the amount of force exerted during the intended action. In policing, a common situation that may evoke such a sympathetic contraction would be, for example, a law enforcement officer attempting to restrain a struggling suspect with one hand while holding a handgun in the other."

"the possibility of involuntarily discharging a firearm, but also offered explanations as to their possible causes: involuntary discharges, Enoka proposed, may result from involuntary muscle contractions in the hand holding a firearm. All human movements (and thus also the flexion of the index finger when pulling a trigger), so Enoka, are based on muscle contractions, which are generally caused by a direct command from the brain (known as a voluntary contraction). However, muscles can also be activated by signals that arise from other locations within the nervous system besides the brain, and such activation may produce a muscle contraction that is not the result of a conscious decision. This is especially likely to occur when the human body has to react quickly to an unexpected incident, for instance (as is illustrated at the outset) a light flashing directly in front of an individual. According to Enoka, there are three scenarios that may elicit involuntary muscle contractions that are sufficiently strong to bring about the involuntary discharge of a firearm: sympathetic contractions, loss of balance and startle reaction."

"Startle reaction, is a whole-body reflex-like response to an unexpected stimulus, possibly a loud noise. It evokes rapid involuntary contractions that begin with the blink of an eye and spread to all muscles throughout the body. The reaction of the hands occurs less than 200ms after the stimulus and leads to individuals clenching their fists. Enoka concludes: "Accordingly, an officer who is startled by a loud, unexpected noise while searching for a suspect with his weapon drawn would surely increase the grip force on the weapon, perhaps enough to cause an involuntary discharge."

Anyway, the quotes above are from a pretty good article on the phenomenon where the 'theory" was actually tested and documented:
Involuntary Firearms Discharge: Does the finger obey the brain? - Law Enforcement News

Kinda long, but extremely interesting and very applicable to "us" chainsawers:chainsaw:

Last edited:
cutting a pile

YodaYoda:
I cut up piles of logs all the time, and it became entirely to dangerous to attack a pile of logs with a saw. So we started rolling out a deck of the stuff onto dunnage, Then cut them up. Much safer to be dodging rolling logs without a saw in hand!!!

Wish I could say glad to hear your OK, but I don't use hearing protection either.

...I don't use hearing protection either.

you WILL regret that when you're 60 and have to learn to lip read and fill in the blanks between words you do understand. i'm a source of amusement and frustration to my family when i repeat what i think they say. sometimes pretty funny but frustrating to them and me when i have to continuously ask them to repeat. i should prolly get some hearing aids but....
i strongly urge you to wear that hearing protection.

Been whackin at wood for +30 years, and never wore chaps...... and have the left leg scars to prove it. :msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back