I'm sore all over.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_Peacock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Rented a splitter from the local rent-a-center and started splitting firewood that me and my sons couldn't split by hand. Several chunks of 24-26" diameter Ash just about whooped us good. The largest splitter I've ever rented is a 27 ton and I've managed to strain and stop almost any splitter that I've put wood under. Any way, after splitting wood yesterday for about 10 hours, I wuz whooped beyond all belief. This desk-jockey got a lot done yesterday, but I'm paying for it today. :cry:

One of my biggest frustrations is with splitters that I've rented. I always hear about "how easy" people have it when splitting wood. I have yet to see "how easy" it is when all we do is stick splitters in wood and have to wedge-n-slege is along with the splitter to get the wood even started to split.

Maybe I just need to scrounge up some stuff and build a splitte with a V-8 Hemi on that baby.!!!!

Does anybody else have a tough time splitting wood with a splitter!???? What would it cost me to build one (if I can find somebody that can weld).??

If the wood is wet it can be a pain to split because the wood doesnt crack like it would if it were dry and it can often stick to the ram.
Both of our splitters are fairly small. Im not sure what the tonnage is, but one has a 5.5 hp Honda engine on it and the other has a 3.5 hp Briggs.
Using a wood splitter can be back-breaking work, but its still far easier than using a splitting maul.

Sounds like you really got a work out for sure. I have a 27 ton splitter that has split every thing I have thrown at it, but the tonnage is over rated a little. I do have a hard time positioning the bigger pieces onto the splitter, and if I have a piece that is too long I just lay it down and split it length wise. I purchased my splitter after a long decision about having one built. I figured that if I bought one brand new I would have a warrenty, something I wouldn't have had with a home made one. I spoke with several people about this too. If you do decide to have one built, you can pretty much build it how you want it, if money is no object go for it. I hopes this helps you in deciding what to do.

i never really had a problem with my old 22 ton brave with a 5.5 briggs on it. i never stopped it once. and i split alot of hickory, white oak, blackjack etc. (along with red oak and the other easily split hardwoods)

but those splitters are for wussies LOL you need to step it up a notch and get something that splits at least 6 ways. My processor has an eight way splitter in it at the moment and she really gets with it. Expecially since i hooked the army truck up to it (processor is pto driven, running it around ~750-800 rpm's instead of the "rated" 540. not to mention the 130 hp power plant :jawdrop: ) will be posting a vid, stay tuned for details

Sounds like you are having more problems with your rental splitters than you
should be for sure. I helped my B.I.L. this past spring splitting up a massive rock maple that measured 52" at the base. We rented a Timberwolf with the single wedge setup and split for a straight 12 hours on this beast to get it done. The machine we used is the entry level model TWp1 and rated around 20 tons. I will tell you that the first 30 feet of trunk on this tree was way to big for us to muscle on the splitter and we had to use wedges and quarter the rounds before we could pick them up. We put a lot of stuff on this machine that measured up to 20 inchs or so with very little problem. I recall grabbing my maul just 3 or four times all day to free up a round that got stuck on the wedge. Considering some of the grain structure on this tree I thought that was pretty good. With the big rounds, it helps a lot if you start splitting from the outside edge and just keep taking a bite at a time instead of trying to go right down the middle from the git go. In other words, technique can make a big difference in this game. Also, try and find a machine that has a round holder on the beam and a table grate to catch the split pieces after they pass by the wedge. Sure saves a whole lot bending over and picking up wood off the ground. We ended up with just under 5 measured cords from this one tree and I can honestly say it took me about three days before I recovered. Just can't run with the big dogs anymore but I still like to try now and then, he, he. Hope this helps out a little bit.

Maplemeister :chainsaw: :)

Hey Maplemeister .....

Yup...makes sense to me and that's what we worked at all day yesterday. If I can ever come up with the money and the resources? I think I'll build me a 40 Ton splitter with a 20HP Kawasaki Liquid Cooled motor and see if I can split some wood with that.

I'm just too danged sore to think too much today. :dunno:

I will take 10 hours running a splitter or even an axe over using a hedge trimmer for that time! My left arm has stopped working after 2 days Hedgecutting!
I saw everything down to 9-12" for my bosses fire and even at that the splitter struggles with some of it!
The easy thing to do is saw it up into blocks if this happens.
SawTroll will back me up on this:)

Sometimes on those real snotty looking 3 way crotches and such, it's easier to take the saw & half it before you even try the splitter - Especially on the rock maples, those are some of the toughest crotch pieces I've split. Sometimes instead of firewood, you wind up with a big gob of mushy crushed wood parts.

When I was splitting with a maul I learned to leave the nasty crotches and such behind. Now that I'm using a splitter I stay with that practice. Even when you get it split, the pieces are so odd they don't stack well. I try to minimize the size of the pieces I leave behind. Being a little bit particular about what ends up in the truck is one of the more useful woodcutting skills I've learned.
Dok

When I was splitting with a maul I learned to leave the nasty crotches and such behind. Now that I'm using a splitter I stay with that practice. Even when you get it split, the pieces are so odd they don't stack well. I try to minimize the size of the pieces I leave behind. Being a little bit particular about what ends up in the truck is one of the more useful woodcutting skills I've learned.
Dok

While they might not stack well, they can be cut with a chainsaw, or milled for tabletops. I have some beautiful black walnut and cherry table tops thanks to some of those crotches.:clap:

Maybe the splitter you rented did not have a 2 stage pump or something. I have been using my 22 ton Husky with I think a 6 HP Briggs for like 8 years or so on all kinds of wood, and average of 4-5 cords and never had anything stop it. oak, walnut, crotches etc.. Just my $.02

Dok

Heck that is what I am burning currently. Stack the wierd stuff on top of your stacks. The only pieces I don't take are punky or too small.

After I get the junk stripped off the top of the stacks in the shed I need to move some silver maple in the shed for Nov burn.

Don

I have been using my Speeco 27 ton as of late and don't feel a thing. I am in excellent shape and work like a horse everyday, but nonetheless, this is by far the least fatiging splitter I have ever used. Except, for my skidsteer one where I never leave the cab and break those 5' diameter pieces like butter.

This is what I split today, there is over 20 facecord in that pile and I feel no fatigue or pain whatsoever. The pieces to the left on the ground were broke down to manageable size with my skidsteer splitter before putting them through the Speeco.

I split a piece today that was very hard and the grain was entwined S-patterns. It picked it apart and got it broke down, I am very impressed with this splitter and I have used many that are much bigger.

The key to this unit is wedge design, table height and the fact that the wedge is on the ram. This means you aren't bent over while running it and you aren't trying to chase pieces off the end of the wedge to bring them back and resplit. Chasing those pieces pulls you away from the controls and adds a lot of footwork to the game. I added a table on the opposite side so I never have to repick a resplit off the ground. Another thing is most all of the splitter debris falls away from where you are standing, so you aren't fighting your footing all day.

This is the fastest unit Speeco makes with a 12 second cycle time, and I payed $1125 plus tax for it. I spend more time throwing wood than running the lever. I think it's the machine to get.

7e2d2344.jpg

Last edited:
Dok

I agree 100% if you're delivering the entire quantity to a customer.

For myself, I keep every shred down to 2 inches. I've nearly 1.5 cords of the goofy stuff, odd shapes and sizes, and end cuts in my "pallet rooms" (floors and walls made of pallets, separated by type of wood for which part of season, etc), and several lidded garbage cans of the splinters and such for kindling.

As for the aches and pains of those of us beyond our prime of 18 years of age, hand OR machine splitting can each take a toll on you, but with machines you end up with more done in a day!

I'm not such a big fan of splitters. If its good splitting wood, its much easier/faster with an axe or maul. I hate wrestling big rounds 20"+ into the splitter (and I use it vertically). For crotches and knotty or stringy wood, it sure nice to have a splitter though. Havent had the pleasure of using one with a log lift yet.

I'm not such a big fan of splitters. If its good splitting wood, its much easier/faster with an axe or maul. I hate wrestling big rounds 20"+ into the splitter (and I use it vertically). For crotches and knotty or stringy wood, it sure nice to have a splitter though. Havent had the pleasure of using one with a log lift yet.

I wasn't either until I got the right combo. Now I can split anything with little stress. I still love lining them up and knocking them down with the maul, kind of like a show when you go down 20 blocks at a mean pace without breaking stride.

?????????????????

Some of you guys with the 22ton huskys must get really great, straight wood to split all the time. I've have that same 22 ton huskee TSC Speeco splitter and I stopped it dead twice today on some oak rounds. These wet rounds were about 20"er and not straight grained as they had 10 to 12" branches coming off them when I bucked this tree about 3 weeks ago. I've also stopped this splitter on some hickory crotches in the past.
I'm very happy with this splitter, it is 4 years old and I've done about 25 cord with it with no problems. The bulk of my wood has been ash the last few years and it goes through that like butter no matter what kind of piece I place under the ram, but an invincible splitter it is not.

I wasn't either until I got the right combo. Now I can split anything with little stress. I still love lining them up and knocking them down with the maul, kind of like a show when you go down 20 blocks at a mean pace without breaking stride.

Only one single time have I ever had a load of straight grained, really dry wood (delivered). Tap it and off pops a split. I ended up happily splitting away the entire cord into kindling sized 1 inch squares. If I could get that all day, I'd never ever ever use a splitter. But that was only one single cord out of about 35 cords I've had so far. Every thing else gets multiple whacks with no affect. Splitter for my locale is vital.

Last edited:
I have been using my Speeco 27 ton as of late and don't feel a thing. I am in excellent shape and work like a horse everyday, but nonetheless, this is by far the least fatiging splitter I have ever used. Except, for my skidsteer one where I never leave the cab and break those 5' diameter pieces like butter.

This is what I split today, there is over 20 facecord in that pile and I feel no fatigue or pain whatsoever. The pieces to the left on the ground were broke down to manageable size with my skidsteer splitter before putting them through the Speeco.

I split a piece today that was very hard and the grain was entwined S-patterns. It picked it apart and got it broke down, I am very impressed with this splitter and I have used many that are much bigger.

The key to this unit is wedge design, table height and the fact that the wedge is on the ram. This means you aren't bent over while running it and you aren't trying to chase pieces off the end of the wedge to bring them back and resplit. Chasing those pieces pulls you away from the controls and adds a lot of footwork to the game. I added a table on the opposite side so I never have to repick a resplit off the ground. Another thing is most all of the splitter debris falls away from where you are standing, so you aren't fighting your footing all day.

This is the fastest unit Speeco makes with a 12 second cycle time, and I payed $1125 plus tax for it. I spend more time throwing wood than running the lever. I think it's the machine to get.

7e2d2344.jpg

Showoff...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I have to agree with Nails, since my 25ton speeco is probably the same thing he has, and if it can't split it, it will shear or crush it. Just the way it is.

Lots of elm, burr oak around here, and neither has stopped the splitter from reaching full extension in the usual cycle time. The engine goes up in rpm, the second stage does its job, and one piece of wood becomes two. Other guys that have their own splitters, have used this one, and prefer to use it because it doesn't hold up the production line, and no extra maul or sledge hammer is required.

Granted, there are the odd pieces that will crawl up the wedge, or move off the foot plate due to odd cut angle or something, but stuff like that just gets blocked with a saw. It isn't because the machine couldn't reduce it, just can't get a good bite sometimes, you guys know the pieces I"m referring to.

Large, gnarly rounds or pieces can be reduced easier with a saw, down to a more managable size for the splitter. Just rip it and use the noodles for kindling.

10 hrs, wow, that is a tough day. and exactly why I bought a splitter....spread that kind of day out over a longer period of time.

By the way, the processing guy I work for, he is selling a speeco unit, has an 8.0hp engine on it.

Back