I'm sure a repeat thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhawk74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have made 2 posts on here in the past week as a newbie and have received nothing but expertise on saws and this I appreciate, I was not hassled or degraded in any way. And on this note I say THANK YOU!.

Now I have another question, I am needing a good 60cc and up saw for some larger white oaks and elms that I have been given permission to cut, I am not comfortable using my 510 EVL on this big wood. Can someone recommend a good AFFORDABLE saw that I could use or know someone who has one for sale? Thanks again, Rick

What is affordable?

There are a few really good used 372's, 440's, and 460's out there for 4-500 bucks.

Check the tradin' post.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Stihl ms 460 magnum

I have a 2 year old Stihl 460 Magnum with very low hours on it. It is like new.
I have a 25 inch bar with two chains and a 32 inch bar with 2 chains that go with it. PM me if you would like to discuss it. I am in southwestern Indiana.

$350... that's not much to work with for a new saw, especially in the size you're looking for.

What size wood are you going to be cutting?

I've cut a LOT of firewood the past 8-9 years with just my Husky 55 w/ 18" bar... trees up to 30" diameter. You have to double cut sometimes, but it's doable... and I've done it a lot.

You can go on eBay or the trading post here at AS and find used 55's for between $150-$200 dollars. It's only a 53cc saw if I remember correctly, but it will get the job done if money is an issue. Pick one up for about $200, and you still have some $'s left over for a new bar and some chains and a tuneup on the saw... and you'll have a pretty decent saw for budget dollars.

That's one option, based on my experience with my Husky 55... I'm sure others will have even better suggestions here soon.

I would step up to a 70cc saw if you plan on cutting oak with atleast a 20" bar. I have a 044 in the trading post for sale and there was another one on there also.

If it's 60cc you want then I'd take a hard look at the Jonsered 2159 in the Trading Post. I don't even need it, but I'm looking pretty hard at it. So you might want to hurry.;)

Watch E-Bay for the John Deere CS 62'S. There were some great deals on them new and they still pop up on there occasionally. You could probably Get a CS 56 or equivelant Efco 56c new in the price range your looking at. That will be tough finding a 60 plus cc saw in that range unless you go used.

These guys are right on the 440 and 460. A good old used 044 is hard to beat. Mine cut logs every day for 10 years and it Stihl preforms like a champ. Just my nickles worth but I think it's the best Sthil ever made so any of those in that range will work. I picked one up for $400 so they are out there.

Check to see if your local Home Cheapo is selling any of their rental Makitas off. I've heard of people getting them for $250.

This is easy for me. You should look at a used Husky 266,268 or 272xp. Prices run from 200-400 dollars. A ton of bang for the buck. They just kick a$$ for the money. Also consider a used 365 Husky or a used 044 .They would be a bit pricier(300-500) Good luck and be safe.

I have an Echo CS-6700 with a 24" bar/new chain that I'm going to put on E-Bay. Doesn't look like much, but it is new from the ground up. I sent it to an Echo tech in Texas and he went completely through the saw for me, new factory P/C, rubber mounts, intake boot, carb kitted, air filter, fuel lines, gaskets/seals, chain brake handle, fasteners, etc. Making room for a new 372XP, so have to cut loose a few of my saws. PM me if interested.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back