Impressed with ECHO saw- or maybe I'm just lucky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a little Echo CS 3000 (C. 2003?) Top Handle left over from my days in the Green Industry, and I can definitevely say I hadn't used the thing in three years.

I usually get to go to the Woodsmoke Lounge at Rancho Varano only after HS Football Season is complete mid December (3 years in a row, state finals loser, including MeatBall's Junior year where he donated his ACL on the second to the last play of overtime) and thats when I can use my tools and work a bit more on the Woodsmoke Lounge.

I ran this little baby saw hard and put it away wet, just being lazy- in 2008.

Friday Morn I fueled up the two Stihls, and for grins looked over the ECHO. Still had some fuel in it and a near full oil load, so I flipped a switch and closed the choke.

Popped on the second pull and RAN like a raped Ape on the third pull at full run.

After a three minute sharpening with the Dremel, it put a smile on MeatBall's face since it was light to buck off anything under four inches with ease. My brother took care of limbing with a MS 180 and I worked the trunk to 8' log length with the 270.

For a saw to sit dirty and neglected with fuel and oil in it for three years and a month, and go right to work, I just can't explain it. I can say that alot of the commercial ECHO things Iused over the years, this is one recurring characteristic. They have been known to sit, and still crank. ECHO HO products, I don't know (never owned one).

Stihl Blowers NEVER liked that kind of treatment, for sure.

Its getting a couple of new lengths of some fairly agressive chain, and a good detailing, just cause....

Any suggestions on Chain type? I care not for the safety chain or weeny cutters. In fact, I'd like all my chains to be capable of ripping big chips at WFO. (I had a big supply of Stihl chains, all matched that were not the sissy green, ripped off along with a couple pair of chaps, Head gear and muffs and other assorted sawing accessories, so I'm starting over)

GeeVee

I have a little Echo CS 340 (C. 2003?) Top Handle left over from my days in the Green Industry, and I can definitevely say I hadn't used the thing in three years.

I usually get to go to the Woodsmoke Lounge at Rancho Varano only after HS Football Season is complete mid December (3 years in a row, state finals loser, including MeatBall's Junior year where he donated his ACL on the second to the last play of overtime) and thats when I can use my tools and work a bit more on the Woodsmoke Lounge.

I ran this little baby saw hard and put it away wet, just being lazy- in 2008.

Friday Morn I fueled up the two Stihls, and for grins looked over the ECHO. Still had some fuel in it and a near full oil load, so I flipped a switch and closed the choke.

Popped on the second pull and RAN like a raped Ape on the third pull at full run.

After a three minute sharpening with the Dremel, it put a smile on MeatBall's face since it was light to buck off anything under four inches with ease. My brother took care of limbing with a MS 180 and I worked the trunk to 8' log length with the 270.

For a saw to sit dirty and neglected with fuel and oil in it for three years and a month, and go right to work, I just can't explain it. I can say that alot of the commercial ECHO things Iused over the years, this is one recurring characteristic. They have been known to sit, and still crank. ECHO HO products, I don't know (never owned one).

Stihl Blowers NEVER liked that kind of treatment, for sure.

Its getting a couple of new lengths of some fairly agressive chain, and a good detailing, just cause....

Any suggestions on Chain type? I care not for the safety chain or weeny cutters. In fact, I'd like all my chains to be capable of ripping big chips at WFO. (I had a big supply of Stihl chains, all matched that were not the sissy green, ripped off along with a couple pair of chaps, Head gear and muffs and other assorted sawing accessories, so I'm starting over)
GeeVee

I think the echo brand is underrated..I have a cs 440 and it was my first saw..bought it 4-5 years ago now and have cut a soild 6 cords per year since then..It has never let me down awsome saw..as for the chain...where yours is a smaller saw maybe an 18 bar and the shinny chain? That is what is on the cs440 from the factory and seems to work good..

Warranty

i have one echo(cs-510evl) great saw, starts and runs great for an older saw....my comment is about thier new saw warranty, 5 years homeowners 2 year commercial, i dont think any other saw company matches that.

i had a poulan farmhand 2900 i used for twenty years...loved it.. i now run echo cause the new poulans are junk..just my opinion....i bought four new poulan pro's for a clear cut job and not one would oil straight out of box...and yes they wouldn't warranty nothing either...traded all in for a cs450p and 2 cs370 's and love them....
they run as good as the old poulan but oil better...they scream..a great saw in my opinion....most here are brand loyal to the other two....

Echo is my kind of saw. I have an CS4400, back in the 90's ? I bought it new but don't remember when. It usually sits in the old 93 dodge wood trk in the snow, rain and etc. always starts and runs good, just a new chain now and again. I cut my own wood and a few logs for my use, plus normal farm use.

I agree I think ECHO is highly underrated. They make a great product and have a fantastic warranty. I purchased a 310 lastyear for small work and I LOVE IT. I used it for the smaller stuff under 12" in diameter or so. I use the Stihls for anything bigger. Stihls will always be my first love with Echo right behind.

Jeff

Echo CS 3900

Still one of the best saws ever built:
Echo3900.jpg

I have cut an average of 15 cords of wood a year with it since 1998. With routine maintenance, I simply cannot kill it.

If your going to make a habbit out of running old gas through your saws, I wouldn't worry too much about new chains cause there not gonna need them.

But if not, try the Woodland Pro from Baileys. 30LP and 20NK should fit that saw.

I have a CS3000 in my shop,out of a barn full of saws, it's probably the one I use the most. I use it to cut anything from fence post to 2X4's, to plastic sewer culverts. It has a little 12" bar and works like a machette for me. It is also my deer hunting saw. It works fine for trimming shooting lanes for my tree stands. It has always started within 3 pulls and never gives me any problems. A guy gave it to me because it had a small hole in the oil tank. I mixed up some plastic welder and 3 years later it's never leaked a drop( out of the hole). It is not pretty to look at, but is does save me wear and tear on my MS200T's

I gotta few...

I have a 280 top handle that was-is dads and is old and has lived a very hard life. Recently replaced the fuel line and other that that it's been a bullet proof little saw, probably the most used saw on the farm. it's got a 12" bar and is so handy.

Got a older 680 and a newer 600p. The 600p is a great saw, Ive cut with many other makes and got to say it's my favorite saw.

I have nothing against stihls or husky's it's just that the dealer with the best service sells echo here...The others are at a farm store where techs are teenaged kids...gotta learn somewhere but not on me.

Echo's get a bad rap and I really think that big box store mentality isn't going to help them...too many sales to a guy that has no business owning a chainsaw.

I think that as long as you maintain your equipment you can be satisfied with all of the majors.

i have one echo(cs-510evl) great saw, starts and runs great for an older saw....my comment is about thier new saw warranty, 5 years homeowners 2 year commercial, i dont think any other saw company matches that.

check into the warranties more carefully... read the fine print... warranty on echo is from purchase through a signature echo dealer to original purchaser only...... i found this out the hard way.... some other brands are like this as well.... not to take anything away from them being great saws... this is only the company's way of curing the feebay dealers etc....if any questions you can read it for yourself on echo's homepage under "warranty"....

If your going to make a habbit out of running old gas through your saws, I wouldn't worry too much about new chains cause there not gonna need them.

But if not, try the Woodland Pro from Baileys. 30LP and 20NK should fit that saw.

Thanks for the chain suggestion...

I have 79 tires (and two tracks) to keep air in, 14 batteries, nine license plates, 116 Pistons and only one me. SOMETHING is going to have less-than-fresh fuel in it.

I guess I'm a bit stoooopid sometimes. I don't have CAD, but I could do the work. Sometimes I don't mind getting gas and grease on me, and other times I'll let my money buy the labor.

On the other hand, I really don't have any catastrophic failures that require heavy mechanics, too often, but sometimes I get after it.

I was just surprised that the little machina went right to work. I did service it as soon as I found it was willling to work on Friday. The primer bulb failed on the third tank Saturday, so we ran it till it was empty of fuel, and Sunday morn I got a new Primer and slapped it in and it went to work again. Since my Parts shop didn't charge me for the bulb, I can't ride it hard and put it up wet again insisting it owes me more work.

Latest posts

Back