Impressive MS 290!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had to take the 290 out the other day as the 440 had a broken pull cord. Naturally within the first 5 cuts the thing is pinched! That day the 290 was the only saw I had running so I wasn't sure what to do. I thought about taking the 20" bar off the 440 and using that but the idea of switching two bars back and forth seemed like a lot of work!! So instead I grabbed my 36" and thought.. well all I need to do is make one cut just to get the bar un-pinched! Took it to the woods and switched bars. It ran it ok but keep in mind the log I was pinched in was maybe 10". So after one cut the bar was loose and was able to get put back on the saw. I wish I had a camera with me... a 36" bar on a 290 sure looks cool! Not practical.. but cool! Just thought I'd relate the story for all those people who think the 290's are junk!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Had to take the 290 out the other day as the 440 had a broken pull cord. Naturally within the first 5 cuts the thing is pinched! That day the 290 was the only saw I had running so I wasn't sure what to do. I thought about taking the 20" bar off the 440 and using that but the idea of switching two bars back and forth seemed like a lot of work!! So instead I grabbed my 36" and thought.. well all I need to do is make one cut just to get the bar un-pinched! Took it to the woods and switched bars. It ran it ok but keep in mind the log I was pinched in was maybe 10". So after one cut the bar was loose and was able to get put back on the saw. I wish I had a camera with me... a 36" bar on a 290 sure looks cool! Not practical.. but cool! Just thought I'd relate the story for all those people who think the 290's are junk!! :hmm3grin2orange:
I actually keep a 20" bar on my 290 and for the money and what it's designed to do I'm very pleased with it. I also have a 361 with a 24" bar and the 290 seems to be a good backup.:cheers:

I keep a 20" on my 290 too. That way I can use the same chains as the 440. Only have to remember one chain number that way!! :clap: When the bar on the 440 gets wore down some I'll switch with the one on the 290 as it's almost new. I would agree too that the 290 makes a nice back-up. It usually handles anything the 440 will.. just a lot slower!!

me too.

My name is tbuggle/insert name and I am 029/290 owner...

maybe weekly meetings are in order.

My name is tbuggle/insert name and I am 029/290 owner...

maybe weekly meetings are in order.

TB,

With all due respect, 029/290 members don't need any stinkin' weekly meetings. They are mostly out cutting wood every weekend.

Cheers,

Joat

TB,

With all due respect, 029/290 members don't need any stinkin' weekly meetings. They are mostly out cutting wood every weekend.

Cheers,

Joat

+1 The 290 was my 1st new saw and its Stihl running - never let me down. Its the "pusherman" that got me hooked and started this whole CAD thing - I'm never gonna quit.

MNfarmer,it looks like your not too far from my brothers cabin on lake IXL.Thats a small lake across the road from Woman lake over by Loneville.I am about 120 miles from you somewhere in Sherburne County,Santiago Township.

+1 The 290 was my 1st new saw and its Stihl running - never let me down. Its the "pusherman" that got me hooked and started this whole CAD thing - I'm never gonna quit.

That's exactly what happened to me!
I'll start, my name is scattergun 13 and I've been a 290 user for 2 years now, I'm powerless to change and I need help. Or however it goes, anyway we should get coins and have a secret handshake.:clap:

If you had wedges you could have drove the wedge in the cut and gotten your saw out without going though all that.
Maybe not as fun though. .

No I didn't need the longer bar for that. The 36" wasn't attached to anything and I figured it would be easier to use that instead of taking a bar off of another saw. Wedges would have been easier.. but it was more fun to put the 36" on the 290... 1) To say I did it and 2) just to see it on there!!

Back