Improving a 260's antivibe? Also, general questions about cutting vibrations down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had various problems with both hands/wrists in the past. Most of the time, I have been able to curb these problems before they get bad. I now have carpel tunnel symptoms creeping in again and my hands need to be busy in the next couple months (have carving to do.....& w/ electric saws w/ no antivibe to boot).

I have wrapped my 260's handles with 1/8" thick closed cell foam. I'm sure it works but it makes the handle bulkier which makes it more difficult for my smallish hands to grasp. Does Stihl offer different rubber or optional springs for the antivibe system on this saw?

Also, what about antivibe gloves? Are they available & if so, what's a good source? Have heard of using neoprene fishing gloves with the fingers cut out. Have yet to try that. Seems like it would cook the hands but....

Any input would be appreciated. BTW. I know about preventative maintenance like diet, posture, stretching, blah, blah, blah. I'm just predisposed to these sort of problems and need to figure out more ways to minimize the vibes that reach my hands.

Thanks,
r

Hi rusty,

Saws such as the 260 do not vibrate all that much, however in your case I guess you need every advantage you can.

Stihl manufactures Low-Vibration chains especially for their saws you can read up on them on Stihl's website.

I know of anti-vibration gloves but have not had the need to use any so can't really help you there.

Perhaps this link can help you:

http://www.hatch-corp.com/Safety Frames/vibration.html

stihltech said:
Have you considered a 270 or 280? Improved anti vibe. Just a thought.

Stihltech, where can you get data on the vibration levels of Stihl saws?

You could try softening the rubber mounts to give you more decoupling. There are several rubber softeners on the market for use in tires. You could pull the mounts, or buy a new set, and soak them in softener for a few days. The install and run and see if it helps. If it's worse, all you have ruined a set of mounts. Prob'ly worth a try.

Jimbo

Harder mounts would be harder,er more difficult to make, but not impossible. Castable urethane rubbers are avialable in incremental hardness. Many of hese have exceptional toughness, so they will hold up. It's not real hard to make a mold, either. I've never had a need to make chainsaw vibe mounts, but looks doable. Study up on tthe Shore Hardness Scale.

Try these guys:

http://www.bjbenterprises.com/products/product1.html

See if you can get some free samples.

Jimbo

I use the hatch 501 full finger gloves and like them, except the side of the fingers wear through too fast. Sthil makes some with padding in the palm and they have lasted longer. hatch needs to make each finger a full wrap of leather. That would be the perfect glove :blob2: :blob2:

Thanks for the replies & links everyone. I'm going to give the gloves a go to start with.......probably some modified neoprene since I already have some I used for kayaking.

Stihltech,

I have considered several different saws in the not so distant past. However, I have come to realize that my spending needs to be curbed. If there was a night & day difference, sure, I'd be more open. But for now, I must save where I can. Thanks.

Bwalker,

Just curious why the 066 mounts? I am not familar with them.

Also, as I understand, springs are better. I haven't been able to look at various saws but would it be possible to put springs on the 260 from another saw......with a little work? Anyone? Thanks.

Just curious why the 066 mounts? I am not familar with them.
Because they are much stiffer than the spongey 260 mounts, but are the same basic mount with the exception of the durometer of the rubber. I can sack out the 260 mounts in as little as a month of firewood cutting on a semi daily basis.

Have you ever had your neck checked out by a chiropractor. I was experiencing very similar symptoms. It ended up being a pinched nerve in my neck. Several trips to the chiropractor cured it. Pinched nerves in the neck will cause numbness in the hands, fingers and arms. This was aggravated by my neck position (tipping my head back) when bending over to buck logs.

Back