inboard vs outboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Recieved my new sprocket today for my 044 that went bang and just wondered for what reason Stihl decided to go with inboard clutches and husqvarna with the outboard clutch? Is there any advantage to outboard? Just thinking that if i needed to replace the sprocket on a husky then it would be a bigger job due to having to remove the clutch first? Is it something to do with balance? Glad to have my 044 back up and running anyway, had a couple of jobs on that required something with a bit more length and grunt than the 346 could offer.

I like my inboard. It has great pulling power and the velvet glide transmission works just so smooth. I would hate to give it up for an outboard. Might if it was a boston whaler with a Honda 4 choke. Sigh… only 3 more months of winter.

The clutch is a source of considerable heat. (don't believe me, just touch the clutch drum right when you shut your saw off :) ) An outboard clutch keeps that heat further away from the saw where it can dissipate easier.

Many other advantages to the inboard clutch. I just wanted to chime in with an a point for the outboard.

Inboard clutches are the way to go in my opinion, and I'm damn glad my worksaw has it. Gotten the saw stuck a couple of times out in the woods, and had to remove the powerhead and put another bar and chain on to cut the stuck one loose. An outboard clutch in that situation would just be one more nuisance to curse loudly about.

Inboard clutches are the way to go in my opinion, and I'm damn glad my worksaw has it. Gotten the saw stuck a couple of times out in the woods, and had to remove the powerhead and put another bar and chain on to cut the stuck one loose. An outboard clutch in that situation would just be one more nuisance to curse loudly about.

ya, that.

git yer self another saw, say six cubes, then ya won't be pulling powerheads off trees.

We were on about that the other day... Does just seem alot easier in general hence why i was wondering if there was any particular reason for the outboard. I can understand that the clutch is hot and if it's obviously outside the saw then it should dispurse quicker and cause the saw to run cooler overall.

Outboard clutch = narrower body
Inboard clutch = wider body

Smaller saws used for limbing, trimming, and light bucking benefit from the outboard clutch with better handling characteristics. Larger saws designed more for felling benefit from the inboard clutch for the aforementioned issue of getting pinched in a tree. The power head is relatively easily removed.

Plus the other attributes that have already been mentioned.

The argument that it takes you .9 seconds longer to swap a chain because of the inboard vs. outboard clutch arrangement just means you are lazy :hmm3grin2orange:

Outboard clutch = narrower body
Inboard clutch = wider body

Smaller saws used for limbing, trimming, and light bucking benefit from the outboard clutch with better handling characteristics. Larger saws designed more for felling benefit from the inboard clutch for the aforementioned issue of getting pinched in a tree. The power head is relatively easily removed.

Plus the other attributes that have already been mentioned.

The argument that it takes you .9 seconds longer to swap a chain because of the inboard vs. outboard clutch arrangement just means you are lazy :hmm3grin2orange:

meh, it's prolly more like 20 seconds, and I'm lazy, and aspire to be lazy. Yes I also use a remote control to turn the television to a different channel.

Recieved my new sprocket today for my 044 that went bang and just wondered for what reason Stihl decided to go with inboard clutches and husqvarna with the outboard clutch? Is there any advantage to outboard? Just thinking that if i needed to replace the sprocket on a husky then it would be a bigger job due to having to remove the clutch first? Is it something to do with balance? Glad to have my 044 back up and running anyway, had a couple of jobs on that required something with a bit more length and grunt than the 346 could offer.

The only advantage I can see with an outboard is just balace (sideways), and getting the bar closer to the mass centre. Some members like to make fun of that, but it actually is quite important on smaller saws.

Some say that they cool better, that can very well be true as well.

The main advantages of the inboards is just what you said, it makes it easier to change sprocket rims, and also makes it easier to get a stuck bar off the power-head. Another advantage sometimes mentioned is ease of changing chain, but that is more questionable - more a matter of habit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back