inboard vs outboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the talk of heat here. How many people have cooked an inboard?
I've got both inboard and outboard clutches and the closest I've been to cooking a clutch is on my outboard 3120.
The 3120 is a complete pain in the arse when you want to swap sprockets or on long bars (42"+). At home it's fine, you just used an impact wrench to crack the clutch off but in the field it's not quite so easy (piston stops etc). I did actually just buy an 18v cordless Hitachi impact just for clutches so can use that in the field now.
If you're using the same pitch chain all the time on shorter bars they're fine.

In the end it doesn't matter what the clutch is, they're all tough. If outboards were the best every logger would be using 395XP's, if inboards were best they'd all be using 390XP's or MS660's etc.

I'll take the inboard every time. We might change chains four or five times a day on our firewood saws, call me lazy, but its so much easier to deal with an inboard.

git yer self another saw, say six cubes, then ya won't be pulling powerheads off trees.

I just cut some firewood today and used my sp125 with a 36" bar. The Oak was about 30" in diameter. By the way it has an outboard clutch. However, I am not partial to either one. Both if designed correctly will do the job well.

I don't have any issues with inboard/outboard clutches as far as putting chains on they take the same amount of time. Sprockets on the other hand are a little more time consuming on the outboards but it is not like it takes hours. I mean really ten minutes as opposed to five and that is a beer drinking pace. :cheers:

and the heat issue isn't there if your not abusing your saw anyway , unless it's worn allready.

He surely did!

It is an enigma that the German brands don't understand it, but it is their problem (and the users)! :msp_laugh::msp_laugh:

Has the new Dolmar/Makita´s also inboard? Or is it only the cream sickle?
The older Dolmars (111, 112) I have seen have the outboard clutch.

I Have never bought/not bought a saw because it had either. But i must say my small saws WITH Outboard, are very easy to throw around the logs, when limbing.

Yeah the new Dolmar/Makitas above 50cc are all inboard but not sure about the smaller saws.

I Have never bought/not bought a saw because it had either. But i must say my small saws WITH Outboard, are very easy to throw around the logs, when limbing.

Many newer Huskys and Dolmars have inboards, but no Huskys less than 60cc (for good reasons).

Imo, it isn't a question of either/or - both have their place! :smile3:

Latest posts

Back