Indiansprings hope all is well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A tornado did a number on Indiansprings town of Joplin MO. It hit the hospital and really did so damage to Joplin.

Scott

Hedgerow is in that area too. Hope everyone is safe. Putting you guys down there in my prayers. Had some close to us today, but as far as I know they just did some damage, no one hurt.

It's been an rough couple of days in KS and MO, and elsewhere in the middle of the country. That Joplin tornado caused some amazing damage. 24 already confirmed killed. Prayers to all our AS friends in the area. And to those dealing with those conditions.

Guys, it is horrific, many people are still trapped in bldgs.
The largest hospital took a direct hit, a good friends sister is a nurse, she said bodies were in the parking lot. They are evacuating the hospital. Triage center was set up along with a makeshift morgue.
The main business district of this town was hit the Wal-Mart Super Center, Target, Academy all were leveled, full of people, they think many are still trapped. A young man who is 16 that lives with us was there when it hit, he was with other church members, all got out ok.
The pictures are horrific, looks like a B-52 arc light strike.
We took the kids there to eat today and to look at new cars, we left about 30 min to 45 min before it hit.
The death toll will be high. I've been called out to several tornadoes and disasters while with the Nat'l Guard and this is the most severve I've seen.
It has been declared a disaster area, only medical personnel and first responders are being let it, the Guard is already on scene, luckily it is a Cbt Heavy Construction BN with all the heavy equipment like dozers, cranes, front loaders, etc.
We're going to volunteer as soon as they will let us in with one of out tractors and loader and saws.
Death toll will be high, hope everyone else (AS members)in the area is safe.

My local news said they are up to 89 confirmed dead. The tornado was on the ground in an area 1-mile wide and 4-miles long. The had to evacuate the whole hospital.

Scott

MY heart goes out to you. After helping clean up our town after the April tornado, I feel your pain. Never in my life have I seen such destruction, and we had a very mild tornado here by comparison. Adding your town to our prayer list.

Avalancher, words cannot describe the destruction, being around the military 4 years active and 16 in the reserve, I've seen what 2000 lbs bombs and artillery strikes do, but this is nothing short of a nuke going off, the tornado was only a F3 but it almost just stalled out and moved very , very slow, it has just ground this town to rubble, the death count will continue to climb, we're awaiting a call from our local rural fire chief to go up and start relieving some of the crews that have been trying to dig people out. Over 2000 houses are gone, many are still missing, hard rain and high winds, lack of power are hampering rescue efforts. As I said in the other post, words or emotions cannot describe the utter devastation. This will be a multi-year recovery.
The economy was in the tank here, but we sure didn't need this to boost it. It will take the work of hundreds if not thousands to clean this up and rebuild, nothing is left in the main six mile swath, high schools, hospital, complete main shopping district all gone in this town of 50k. Unbelievable, I hope we get a break in the weather, hard rain and lightning as I type this. I prolly won't be on much in the next few days, will try to update.

Wal-Mart Super Center, Target, Academy all were leveled, full of people, they think many are still trapped.

Oh my! Man, you and your boys take care with your volunteer work. Good on ya for wanting to help out! I'll be thinking and praying for y'all in that part of the country.

Kevin

Prayers are comin your way, and be safe as you try to help those in need.

Just got done watching the noon news here, and there's some major damage in North Minneapolis as well. There was also a small twister that went right through my drive to work in Forest Lake MN, sounds like minimal damage there though.

Indiansprings, you need some help or you run short of volunteers, let me know. I was just appointed this last sunday the head of our church's disaster relief crew, and I would be happy to load up and head your way. We are about 12 hours away, but we have 3 good skilled tree guys in our crew, and a bunch of well meaning hard working church going folks, and some of em are tough as nails and can work long hours. Right now I am on the mend, but I did get out on Saturday and run a few tanks through the 372 in town, so I reckon by the time I got there I can sling bar oil along with anyone else.We are about finished up here cleaning up, and the experience has been good training for our crew.
Let me know, and if you want I will PM you my phone number.

Avlancher let me know if you do that. I might be able to come also. I'm only about 5 hours away. Could bring a lot of saws and maybe my Genie 50/30 boom

Scott

Latest posts

Back