Indoor Close Clearance Pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy some double wall indoor pipe to hook my Blaze King. I went to my local woodstove store and checked their prices and had a little sticker shock.
IMG_20161005_131552.jpg

I googled the DVL item numbers and found it much cheaper online with free delivery. Just wondering if anyone has any recommended sources they would buy from again if they were cheaper than listed in the photo. I found this pipe can be ordered through Walmart also. There Walmart price on a 45* elbow was about $85.

Try build.com online or Lowes brick & mortar/online. A year ago I installed my woodstove using Duravent pipe from them. 36" section stainless 6" double wall ran $90 @ lowes, build.com was about the same. Bought most of mine from build.com. had to get bits and pieces from lowes.

Thanks for the reply, I talked with DuraVent directly and they mentioned build.com as well. I was expecting a little more than one reply lol. I know @unclemoustache just bought a BK stove and there are a few other that did within the past year. Maybe everyone bought their pipe locally, IDK but it seems like the savings can add up to a hundred or more if you needed to by enough of the stuff... Im going to check build.com but so far everything I need is available online through walmart and each piece is about $20 cheaper then anyone else!

Couple of things I learned so far, its not a easy as you would think with this double wall stuff. E.g. You need an appliance adapter on your stove flue collar to connect to your pipe, then try to figure out what ever pipe you need (straight, elbows, telescoping sections etc.), then in my case another adapter to connect the DVL pipe to a masonry thimble insert piece.

Couple of bits of advice: Tolerences are FAR tighter and more critical with double wall pipe. Even using the adjustable pieces it is trying to get things to line up. I used 2 45's instead of one 90 going from my stove to the wall, which probably contributed to the difficulty getting things to fit, but it is supposed to draw much better that way. The other thing is to order early and double check that they shipped all the right pieces. I double and triple checked my parts when I placed the order and build.com still got it wrong. They were good about exchanging the parts, but it can sure mess up your installation schedule.
We don't have any real wood stove dealers near me, so that compounded logistics, having to order everything.

Good luck. We loved the wood stove heat last year and I enjoy cutting and splitting, so I'm happy with the end result.

Thanks for the input. I am actually installing a new masonry thimble into my block chimney so I can put it where ever I like. That being said, I am tying to maximize the vertical rise of pipe between the stove and the thimble while staying within the limits for clearance. So far I determined that I have room for a 24" one piece section, then 2 45* elbows to connect to the thimble. I had to call DuraVent to ask them what the rise is when you connect two 45* - 8" elbows to make sure I'm not closer than 8" to the ceiling.

Odd setup. Why not use an insert?

Local hardware store (SBS) sells the Metalbestos pipe. I think Lowe's does as well.

Walmart for sure doesnt. They only have kerosene and electric heaters. Used to sell pellets but I don't think they do now. Lowe's does, about $280 a ton... equal to a $420 cord of firewood!

The flow restriction from two 45* elbows is the same as using a 90* elbow. I thought there was a draft advantage by using two 45's but DuraVent informed me there was not difference.

I will say, it makes perfect sense for me to use the same setup you have shown. The issue for me becomes trying to figure out if I can if I stick with the nonadjustable hard piece pipes and meet all my goals. Their charts do not show you the rise of having two 45* elbows like in your arraignment. It becomes difficult trying to figure out the vertical leg needed.

Odd setup. Why not use an insert?
Local hardware store (SBS) sells the Metalbestos pipe. I think Lowe's does as well.
Walmart for sure doesnt. They only have kerosene and electric heaters. Used to sell pellets but I don't think they do now. Lowe's does, about $280 a ton... equal to a $420 cord of firewood!
You're off topic, we don't care about pellets of why he decided not to use an insert.
Wal-Mart does sell the DVL pipe online and will ship it to my door for free and no state tax. Don't care if they have it locally. A few pieces are on sale witch makes it only $6 cheaper than Build.com. Both places are significantly cheaper than going anywhere locally to buy it. I check Lowes online and they do not offer 8" Close clearance pipe for solid fuel stoves.

You're off topic, we don't care about pellets of why he decided not to use an insert.
Wal-Mart does sell the DVL pipe online and will ship it to my door for free and no state tax. Don't care if they have it locally. A few pieces are on sale witch makes it only $6 cheaper than Build.com. Both places are significantly cheaper than going anywhere locally to buy it. I check Lowes online and they do not offer 8" Close clearance pipe for solid fuel stoves.

Jeez, who pooped in your corn flakes?

Lowe's sells 6 and 8" here. Chimney and single/double wall pipe.

The flow restriction from two 45* elbows is the same as using a 90* elbow. I thought there was a draft advantage by using two 45's but DuraVent informed me there was not difference.

I will say, it makes perfect sense for me to use the same setup you have shown. The issue for me becomes trying to figure out if I can if I stick with the nonadjustable hard piece pipes and meet all my goals. Their charts do not show you the rise of having two 45* elbows like in your arraignment. It becomes difficult trying to figure out the vertical leg needed.

A2+b2=c2... need a 4ft rise?

16+16=32. Sq root of 32 is your answer.

I didn't use an insert because what you are looking at isn't a real fireplace, it's a ventless gas log fireplace - so there is no real chimney - it's just for show. Also, wood stoves are better at heating a room than an insert because they radiate heat 360 degrees, not just out the front. I like the ambience of wood stoves better, too.

Here are the lengths of pipe I used:
stovepipe chimney drawing.jpg

In case you can't read the drawing, the parts I used, starting from the stove and working up are:
6 dvl-AD Stovepipe adaptor
6 dvl - 18 - 18 inch fixed length
6 dvl -E45 - Adjustable 45 degree elbow
6 dvl -12 adj - Adjustable 2-10 inch pipe, which we trimmed 2 " off the bottom
6 dvl - 12 - 12 " fixed length pipe
6 dvl - 6 adj - Adjustable 3"-5" long pipe
6 dvl E45 - another 45 degree elbow

The last 45 degree elbow fit into the insulated stovepipe adapter going thru the wall, out to the chimney.

I probably could have gotten away with a longer fixed length pipe and one less adjustable pipe in the run between the two 45 degree elbows. Would have been a bit cheaper, but the stovepipe had to be offset to clear a stud in the fake chimney, so I figured the extra adjustability would be helpful. I'm glad I did it.

Marshy,
If you want me to measure anything, let me know. It is a whole lot easier to measure it once built than trying to measure out to a place in the air while you are deciding on where it will run.

I put the 2 45 elbows where I did because somewhere in the literature (from Duravent, I think) it said it would draw better if you rigged it that way. Makes sense to me, only making the exhaust turn 45 degrees at a time, instead of 90 and to help keep it flowing upward.
David

Here is my setup; 93" to ceiling, min clearance to ceiling is 8", stove color is at 39" from floor, min clearance at back of stove is 22-1/8". I think I can get there like this:
IMG_20161009_111932306.jpg

Only issue is like I mentioned previously about figuring offset and rise with the upper 45 going horizontal discharge. They provide dimensions for the upper elbow with vertical discharge.
IMG_20161009_120341591.jpg

I came up with my own rise and offset based on some dimensions Duravent gave me. I asked what the rise was if I stacked to 45 elbows together to form a 90* turn. He told me 12.5" to centerline (like I drew above). Then just added horizontal length or vertical rise for a 6 or 12 section added between the elbows. I also added 5.5" to the offset based on the dimensions of the elbows in their manual.

Before I buy pipe I'm going to verify the 22" and 16" dimensions I have listed. If they are more than I calculated then I'll have to change things up.

Looks like that should work. The way you have those 2 45s will definitely draw better than a single 90 or 2 45s butted together. I thought it was Duravent that told be that, but I went back thru the literature and found it was the stove manufacturer that said so. They claim that using 2 45s like I did, and you are proposing, does 2 things: 1) it flows better because you generate less turbulence when you only turn 45 degrees at a time instead of 90 and 2) you have less horizontal run which slows things down, versus having a runs with rise built in.

From what I found, your costs are very reasonable for a double wall installation. It's amazing how much the double wall pipe and chimney pipes cost. Can be more then the stove itself, depending on what stove you buy.

Good luck with your installation.

Okay, so I stumbled upon a site that was even cheaper.
http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com

The total was $464.42 with free shipping but they also have a 10% coupon promotion right now so $417.98 for a total. They are based out of Tennessee so it might be a week before I receive it via UPS ground.

Latest posts

Back