Indoor wood burner radiant heat problem???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingsley

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Set-up:
I have an over 100 year old house with radiant heat. The radiators were replaced many years ago with base board heat. It has three different zones with three individual pumps.
I have two furnaces. The first being a natural gas furnace and the second being a "Jack Line" wood furnace. They are plumbed together and can be ran individually or together by opening or closing valves.
There is a expansion tank as well as a line plumbed in to add water.

Problem:
Both furnaces will continue to build water pressure. The gas furnace will max out around 80 lbs of pressure! This will actually do nothing to the mechanics of the gas furnace and it will continue to run. I will occasionally release pressure to the preferred 15 lbs, but it will rise up again eventually.
The Wood furnace goes par for the same course, BUT it triggers the release valve dumping about 10 gallons of scalding hot water! Releasing the pressure on occasion comes to the same conclusion.

What I have done:
I have drained the expansion tank thinking that it had become water logged (no room for the additional pressure to go). Same conclusion.
I have systematically drained the pressure down to 15. Same conclusion.
I am sure that there is no air in the lines, because I have bleeded the lines several times (Usually right after it dumps the water and I have refilled).

Thoughts:
Is this a leaking valve (water supply line) that is continually adding water to the supply? If so, why does draining the "excess" water out of the line come to the same conclusion? Why doesn't the gas furnace pop the valve?

Is there a (hope the hell not) break in the water jacket on the wood furnace? Although, it does hold its pressure when not in use, in fact the whole system holds pressure when not in use.

There are no indoor wood furnace service people in my area, or surrounding area. As soon as you say "indoor, radiant, heat, and wood" in the same sentence they are done talking to you. The manufacturer (the Jack Line) was bought out. This unit was made in Warrens, WI.

Frustrating!!!:
The frequency of dumping water varies greatly. Most of the time it will go 2 weeks or better, but on occasion it will dump twice a day or sometimes three times in a two day period. Going through the routine of refilling and bleeding the system is extremely tedious!!!

Any help or thoughts would be truly appreciated! This problem has me at my wits end.
I'm not in the position unfortunately to replace this system, and being in town excludes an OWD.

Thank you for reading this.

I see as this is as confusing to the people that have viewed it as it is to me.
Is there anything that wasn't explained properly?
Is there more information needed?
Would pictures of my set-up help, if so what pictures would help?

I would bet

it is your make up valve that is leaking.
Best place for help is Heating help dot com. go to the wall. and you can also search for a boiler contractor on that site..

make up

Ericjeeper most likely has it right. Neither furnace can make water so its has to be coming from the make up valve leaking thru. Also the pressure relief valve on the natural gas furnace is most likely defective to allow that much pressure to build up, most systems have at most 30 # max relief valves. Check the pressure rating of all components in the system and make CERTAIN the relief valves are all rated less than the lowest rated component in the system. Relief valves are critical to safe boiler system operation, they are relative inexpensive to replace, make certain they are installed with no shut off valves between the relief valve and the rest of the system.

I would delete the make up valve

and do it manually. But thats just me.. I like to know what my systems are doing so I am always looking at the gauges.

valve choice

A regular ball valve would be my choice. Sounds like that is what you have now, kinda unusual for those to leak through but surely has to be leaking. Don.t forget the gas boiler relief.

Back