Indoor Wood Storage Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengiant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of their setup by an indoor stove? I'm thinking of building a box (maybe 30"x40"x 24"-36" tall) to stage wood before it gets tossed in the stove. Currently I use landscaping containers, but I'm interested in trying something new to see if it's any better. I thought I saw some good pics last winter of some boxes and racks, etc, but I just searched for a half hour and can't find them.

I built a box out of 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. It's 36"x48"18". I just throw the wood in through the basement window into the box. Last year I threw the wood down on rubber matts but the mess went everywhere. So far I lie kthe box seems to work well..

Yep, i went the box route here too. I didnt build it, so i dont know the size. I got it at work, they had built it for something and were going to tear it apart, and i said I'd take it. It has 4 inch casters on it so i can wheel it out my (walk in) basement door to the wood rack, fill-er up and wheel it back in. Id say its about 48"x24"x24"(high). I cut a little bit off the front width so i could reach into the bottom easier, but it actually holds about 5 days worth of wood, and keeps the mess contained. And all i paid was $20, and its got close to $100 worth of casters on it! So far (only been burning a week) its worked great!

Xrack self cleaning firewood rack

Xrack_RF.jpg

I designed this "Xrack" for storing wood next to our stove. It will hold quite a vit of wood though it is nearly empty in this photo. It is self cleaning and has a catch box under the open vee of the corrugated sheet metal pieces. The corrugations direct bark, splinters and trash to the box below. A bracket on the left holds brush, ash scoop and poker.

The wooden box at the left holds split Ash kindling and fat pine chunks and splinters for fire starting.

Plans can be found at;

http://www.ehow.com/how_4783490_wood-holder-attractive-self-cleaning.html

Frank

A 2-Stage Approach

I use a 2-stage procedure to ensure dry loads:

(1) Collect the wood from the woodpile and load up a 2' x 3' x 2' box that rolls through the door on 5" dia. casters. This box holds the indoor reserve supply--about 6 stove loads. Most of the loose bark is trapped inside it.

(2) The pile next to the stove is about 15" to the right of it and holds about 4 full stove loads.

When (2) gets down to one load or less, I start filling it by emptying the box on casters. When (1) is down to one stove load, I fill it up and repeat the cycle again. That way, the wood is always dry when it reaches the stove, even when you have a long rain (like now) or a snow storm. The stove will dry out anything that does not get dead dry inside the rolling box.

Here's what I use. There's one on either side of the stove, and I built them so that in the summer you can store them by stacking one inside the other. Protects the woodwork behind them just great, and helps keep the mess down. You can really pack these suckers full, and they look pretty nice with the trim in the house.

attachment.php

I load my Polaris 6X6 ATV bed so it just fits under the garage door and park it in the garage. When i'm empty I take it out, dump all the lose dirt out of it and reload. I really don't care for polaris stuff but this machine has been so handy for dealing with wood.

my indoor wood storage... 2 full rows and starting my third... plan is to keep cutting :chainsaw:

rows are 22'L x 6'-6"H x +/-20"

attachment.php

attachment.php

all the way to the right i have some cedar i use for start up
:givebeer:

Man, if your stove is right there by that pile, you are set. Thanks for the input guys.

my indoor wood storage... 2 full rows and starting my third... plan is to keep cutting :chainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Judging by your avatar and the cage in the middle of the room you sure seem like a naughty guy! :laugh:

I use the big rubber made totes for in the house. Handles to carry it with, all the dirt stays in the tote when carrying or pulling wood out. You can take it outside and dump the dirt. Its just about the amount I can carry at one time. 1 load usually last a day or so, if a big storm is coming I fill up two.

Latest posts

Back